Think of the chilllllllllllldren

David Gerard-2
What can be done with the age restriction plan *not* to make it drive
away developers?

http://brightbyte.de/page/Think_of_the_children

That post points out how bad and unclear the wording of the resolution
actually is, and that's coming from someone using English as their
second language.

- d.

Re: Think of the chilllllllllllldren

John Reaves
Did the 60 days start on April 11?  That should be clarified.

--John Reaves

> What can be done with the age restriction plan *not* to make it drive
> away developers?
>
> http://brightbyte.de/page/Think_of_the_children
>
> That post points out how bad and unclear the wording of the resolution
> actually is, and that's coming from someone using English as their
> second language.
>

> - d.

Re: Think of the chilllllllllllldren

Casey Brown-2
I believe bastique said that it was 60 days from his official post outlining
everything which needs to be done.  That post has yet to come.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Did the 60 days start on April 11?  That should be clarified.

--John Reaves

> What can be done with the age restriction plan *not* to make it drive
> away developers?
>
> http://brightbyte.de/page/Think_of_the_children
>
> That post points out how bad and unclear the wording of the resolution
> actually is, and that's coming from someone using English as their
> second language.
>

> - d.

Re: Think of the chilllllllllllldren

Cary Bass-3
" But hearing the rumor on IRC that the person who is supposed to
organize all this doesn't know what PGP
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGP> is made me wonder if anyone even
thought about these issues."

This is complete nonsense.  Someone repeated a comment I made about a
specific type of PGP.  I know what PGP is.  This is very irresponsible
for Daniel to propagate.  He should know better--and I am always
available to ask questions.

Cary

David Gerard wrote:

> What can be done with the age restriction plan *not* to make it drive
> away developers?
>
> http://brightbyte.de/page/Think_of_the_children
>
> That post points out how bad and unclear the wording of the resolution
> actually is, and that's coming from someone using English as their
> second language.
>

> - d.

Re: Think of the chilllllllllllldren

Cary Bass-3
Everything is ooooookay now.   Thanks Daniel ;)

Cary

Cary Bass wrote:

> This is complete nonsense.  Someone repeated a comment I made about a
> specific type of PGP.  I know what PGP is.  This is very irresponsible
> for Daniel to propagate.  He should know better--and I am always
> available to ask questions.
>
> Cary
>

> David Gerard wrote:
>
>> What can be done with the age restriction plan *not* to make it drive
>> away developers?
>>
>> http://brightbyte.de/page/Think_of_the_children
>>
>> That post points out how bad and unclear the wording of the resolution
>> actually is, and that's coming from someone using English as their
>> second language.
>>

>> - d.

Re: Think of the chilllllllllllldren

Cary Bass-3
Absolutely.  My definitions of what is required and by whom has not yet
been completed.

Therefore the 60 days has not yet begun.

Thanks.

Cary

Casey Brown wrote:

> I believe bastique said that it was 60 days from his official post outlining
> everything which needs to be done.  That post has yet to come.
>
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

Erik Moeller-4
> What can be done with the age restriction plan *not* to make it drive
> away developers?
>
> http://brightbyte.de/page/Think_of_the_children
>
> That post points out how bad and unclear the wording of the resolution
> actually is, and that's coming from someone using English as their
> second language.

As Florence has already pointed out elsewhere, the Board seeks to
define outcomes; resolutions like this should be put into more
elaborate policies and processes on the operational level.

We did not make that distinction for the licensing policy, where we
laid out very explicitly what is and isn't permissible. That should be
the exception, not the rule. In this case, Cary, Sandy and others who
work with volunteers will be in charge of setting the practical limits
for data access, i.e. interpreting the resolution. From that
perspective, a lack of clarity is actually a good thing - as long as
the resolution is not confused with the policy itself, which should
become a separate document on Meta.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic

Re: Think of the chilllllllllllldren

> As Florence has already pointed out elsewhere, the Board seeks to
> define outcomes; resolutions like this should be put into more
> elaborate policies and processes on the operational level.
> We did not make that distinction for the licensing policy, where we
> laid out very explicitly what is and isn't permissible. That should be
> the exception, not the rule. In this case, Cary, Sandy and others who
> work with volunteers will be in charge of setting the practical limits
> for data access, i.e. interpreting the resolution. From that
> perspective, a lack of clarity is actually a good thing - as long as
> the resolution is not confused with the policy itself, which should
> become a separate document on Meta.

Fair enough. However, that leaves some fast developer relations work
to be done on wikitech-l ...

- d.