Thumbnail and SVG regeneration

Brion Vibber
I've started a process of forcing old rendered thumbnails to regenerate. This
will gradually replace old rendered images over the next couple days as several
issues have been fixed recently:

* Many PNG thumbs defaulted to unnecessarily high bit depth, wasting bandwidth
* JPEG thumbs were at a somewhat higher quality than needed, wasting bandwidth
* Some PNG and JPEG thumbs were sized a pixel off due to mismatches in how
MediaWiki and ImageMagick rounded the resized aspect ratio; these could get
resized in the client, leading to extra blurry scaling
* Lots of SVG rendering problems fixed by upgrading to librsvg 2.14.0

Since invalidating *all* thumbs brought things to a halt doing nothing but
rerendering, I've currently got it invalidating thumbs over a year old, and will
be moving up the cutoff date gradually over the next day or two.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Thumbnail and SVG regeneration

Gregory Maxwell
> * Many PNG thumbs defaulted to unnecessarily high bit depth, wasting bandwidth

Wee!

> * JPEG thumbs were at a somewhat higher quality than needed, wasting bandwidth

Oh no! We already have more than a few thumbs showing ringing
artifacts. This is especially true for images which have jpeg
artifacting in their orignal. ..... Or is this like the off by one fix
below, something which has been in for a while but not something that
all the thumbs have caught up with yet?

> * Some PNG and JPEG thumbs were sized a pixel off due to mismatches in how
> MediaWiki and ImageMagick rounded the resized aspect ratio; these could get
> resized in the client, leading to extra blurry scaling

Wee! Wee!

> * Lots of SVG rendering problems fixed by upgrading to librsvg 2.14.0

Cool. I need to upgrade my local copy.

> Since invalidating *all* thumbs brought things to a halt doing nothing but
> rerendering, I've currently got it invalidating thumbs over a year old, and will
> be moving up the cutoff date gradually over the next day or two.

Okay.