Time to redirect to https by default?

Re: Time to redirect to https by default?

Ryan Lane-2
> Now there're users reporting in village pump that
> http://bits.wikimedia.org/ is blocked in China Mainland. Users
> visiting http://zh.wikipedia.org/ see unstyled pages without scripts
> while https://zh.wikipedia.org/ works fine.

Tell them to use https then? Have them petition their Government to
stop censoring them?

bits seems like a very strange service to be blocked, rather than
commons or wikipedia. Are they *sure* it's being blocked by the
government?

- Ryan

Re: Time to redirect to https by default?

Petr Bena
Indeed, I live in europe and bits seems to be very blocked to me :)
there is a problem with connectivity I guess, because I am having this
problem as well most of time, the service is up, but slow, which makes
the load of one page to take minutes

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Ryan Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Now there're users reporting in village pump that
>> http://bits.wikimedia.org/ is blocked in China Mainland. Users
>> visiting http://zh.wikipedia.org/ see unstyled pages without scripts
>> while https://zh.wikipedia.org/ works fine.
>>

> Tell them to use https then? Have them petition their Government to
> stop censoring them?
>
> bits seems like a very strange service to be blocked, rather than
> commons or wikipedia. Are they *sure* it's being blocked by the
> government?
>
> - Ryan

Re: Time to redirect to https by default?

Petr Bena
Actually bits is a great target for the country which wants to prevent
people from having access, it makes it look as the problem is on side
of "capitalist wikipedia, which is broken most of time" and thus
people should use the proper encyclopedias of China which are correct
and looking better than crappy css of wikipedia.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed, I live in europe and bits seems to be very blocked to me :)
> there is a problem with connectivity I guess, because I am having this
> problem as well most of time, the service is up, but slow, which makes
> the load of one page to take minutes
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Ryan Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Now there're users reporting in village pump that
>>> http://bits.wikimedia.org/ is blocked in China Mainland. Users
>>> visiting http://zh.wikipedia.org/ see unstyled pages without scripts
>>> while https://zh.wikipedia.org/ works fine.
>>>

>> Tell them to use https then? Have them petition their Government to
>> stop censoring them?
>>
>> bits seems like a very strange service to be blocked, rather than
>> commons or wikipedia. Are they *sure* it's being blocked by the
>> government?
>>
>> - Ryan

Re: Time to redirect to https by default?

liangent
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually bits is a great target for the country which wants to prevent
> people from having access, it makes it look as the problem is on side
> of "capitalist wikipedia, which is broken most of time" and thus
> people should use the proper encyclopedias of China which are correct
> and looking better than crappy css of wikipedia.
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Indeed, I live in europe and bits seems to be very blocked to me :)
>> there is a problem with connectivity I guess, because I am having this
>> problem as well most of time, the service is up, but slow, which makes
>> the load of one page to take minutes

>>> Tell them to use https then? Have them petition their Government to
>>> stop censoring them?
>>>
>>> bits seems like a very strange service to be blocked, rather than
>>> commons or wikipedia. Are they *sure* it's being blocked by the
>>> government?
>>>
>>> - Ryan

The original reporter says things are back to normal now (no block on
bits anymore). However there're other people saying they see
intermittent issues when connecting to upload, bits and commons.

-Liangent