Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Isarra Yos
The Timeless skin has been deployed to test, test2, and mw.org. Anyone
interested, please go ahead an enable it and find everything wrong and
swear at me about it.

Note that the current design is not the final design and I haven't quite
worked out what the final design should be, either, so feel free to
swear at me about that, too, if you have any ideas/whatever.

* Bad documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Timeless
* Bugs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/timeless/
* To enable it:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-rendering

If all goes well, we will move on to deploy it to the pilot wikis, as
listed on the deployment task, sometime next week:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154371

A huge thank you to all the insane people who have worked to get us to
this point, when the entire notion of a new skin seemed something of an
impossibility most of the way through.

-I

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Amir E. Aharoni
THANK YOU SO MUCH, EVERYONE INVOLVED.

Will test and report hopefully useful bugs.

THAT'S what Wikimania is good for!

בתאריך 11 באוג׳ 2017 18:27,‏ "Isarra Yos" <[hidden email]> כתב:

> The Timeless skin has been deployed to test, test2, and mw.org. Anyone
> interested, please go ahead an enable it and find everything wrong and
> swear at me about it.
>
> Note that the current design is not the final design and I haven't quite
> worked out what the final design should be, either, so feel free to swear
> at me about that, too, if you have any ideas/whatever.
>
> * Bad documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Timeless
> * Bugs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/timeless/
> * To enable it: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki
> /Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-rendering
>
> If all goes well, we will move on to deploy it to the pilot wikis, as
> listed on the deployment task, sometime next week:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154371
>
> A huge thank you to all the insane people who have worked to get us to
> this point, when the entire notion of a new skin seemed something of an
> impossibility most of the way through.
>
> -I

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Kartik Mistry
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:56 AM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Timeless skin has been deployed to test, test2, and mw.org. Anyone
> interested, please go ahead an enable it and find everything wrong and swear
> at me about it.

Nice work! It took me sometime to find language selector, but other
than that, looks very nice!

--
Kartik Mistry/કાર્તિક મિસ્ત્રી | IRC: kart_
{kartikm, 0x1f1f}.wordpress.com

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Bartosz Dziewoński
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Kartik Mistry <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Nice work! It took me sometime to find language selector, but other
> than that, looks very nice!

If you mean on mediawiki.org (with its configuration to put it in the
personal bar) – I think somebody was suggesting today that we should pull
out the ULS menu item out of the dropdown, like we already do for Echo
notifications. I don't think there's a task for this yet.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Daniel Kinzler-2
Wow, this looks great!

Am 11.08.2017 um 18:26 schrieb Isarra Yos:

> The Timeless skin has been deployed to test, test2, and mw.org. Anyone
> interested, please go ahead an enable it and find everything wrong and swear at
> me about it.
>
> Note that the current design is not the final design and I haven't quite worked
> out what the final design should be, either, so feel free to swear at me about
> that, too, if you have any ideas/whatever.
>
> * Bad documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Timeless
> * Bugs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/timeless/
> * To enable it:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-rendering
>
> If all goes well, we will move on to deploy it to the pilot wikis, as listed on
> the deployment task, sometime next week: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154371
>
> A huge thank you to all the insane people who have worked to get us to this
> point, when the entire notion of a new skin seemed something of an impossibility
> most of the way through.
>
> -I

Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Alangi Derick
Wow, this is wonderful.

I like this skin and I already switched to it. A lot of stylish minded
developers (like me) will start moving to the Timeless skin soon. Good work
Team

Nevertheless, will file in any bugs found :)

*Kind regards*
*Alangi Derick N*

*[image: https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick]
<https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick>
<https://www.facebook.com/derick.alangi>  *

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Wow, this looks great!
>
> Am 11.08.2017 um 18:26 schrieb Isarra Yos:
> > The Timeless skin has been deployed to test, test2, and mw.org. Anyone
> > interested, please go ahead an enable it and find everything wrong and
> swear at
> > me about it.
> >
> > Note that the current design is not the final design and I haven't quite
> worked
> > out what the final design should be, either, so feel free to swear at me
> about
> > that, too, if you have any ideas/whatever.
> >
> > * Bad documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Timeless
> > * Bugs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/timeless/
> > * To enable it:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-
> prefsection-rendering
> >
> > If all goes well, we will move on to deploy it to the pilot wikis, as
> listed on
> > the deployment task, sometime next week: https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> org/T154371
> >
> > A huge thank you to all the insane people who have worked to get us to
> this
> > point, when the entire notion of a new skin seemed something of an
> impossibility
> > most of the way through.
> >
> > -I

> Daniel Kinzler
> Principal Platform Engineer
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland
> Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

יגאל חיטרון-2
Hi. I did not expected to much, because I did not like any non vector
skins, but this is awesome! Thank you very much. One little bug - when
working in mediawiki and navigating to another page, sometimes it opens
again in vector and you should reopt it in in preferences.
Igal (User:IKhitron)

On Aug 12, 2017 17:51, "Alangi Derick" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow, this is wonderful.
>
> I like this skin and I already switched to it. A lot of stylish minded
> developers (like me) will start moving to the Timeless skin soon. Good work
> Team
>
> Nevertheless, will file in any bugs found :)
>
> *Kind regards*
> *Alangi Derick N*
>
> *[image: https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick]
> <https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick>
> <https://www.facebook.com/derick.alangi>  *
>
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Daniel Kinzler <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Wow, this looks great!
> >
> > Am 11.08.2017 um 18:26 schrieb Isarra Yos:
> > > The Timeless skin has been deployed to test, test2, and mw.org. Anyone
> > > interested, please go ahead an enable it and find everything wrong and
> > swear at
> > > me about it.
> > >
> > > Note that the current design is not the final design and I haven't
> quite
> > worked
> > > out what the final design should be, either, so feel free to swear at
> me
> > about
> > > that, too, if you have any ideas/whatever.
> > >
> > > * Bad documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Timeless
> > > * Bugs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/timeless/
> > > * To enable it:
> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-
> > prefsection-rendering
> > >
> > > If all goes well, we will move on to deploy it to the pilot wikis, as
> > listed on
> > > the deployment task, sometime next week: https://phabricator.wikimedia
> .
> > org/T154371
> > >
> > > A huge thank you to all the insane people who have worked to get us to
> > this
> > > point, when the entire notion of a new skin seemed something of an
> > impossibility
> > > most of the way through.
> > >
> > > -I

> > Daniel Kinzler
> > Principal Platform Engineer
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland
> > Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

bawolff
This is kind of odd, but probably not an issue with the skin.

I suspect you have some of the MediaWiki pages cached in browser cache
from before you used the skin, and as a result are using them via a
304 response. But the user_touched timestamp should prevent that.
Maybe central auth doesn't update the local one or something. need to
look into that further.

Maybe you got logged out  and then central auth globally logged back in.

I don't know, kind of grasping here, but definitely is a MW issue not
a Timeless issue.

--
bawolff

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM, יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. I did not expected to much, because I did not like any non vector
> skins, but this is awesome! Thank you very much. One little bug - when
> working in mediawiki and navigating to another page, sometimes it opens
> again in vector and you should reopt it in in preferences.
> Igal (User:IKhitron)
>
> On Aug 12, 2017 17:51, "Alangi Derick" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wow, this is wonderful.
>>
>> I like this skin and I already switched to it. A lot of stylish minded
>> developers (like me) will start moving to the Timeless skin soon. Good work
>> Team
>>
>> Nevertheless, will file in any bugs found :)
>>
>> *Kind regards*
>> *Alangi Derick N*
>>
>> *[image: https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick]
>> <https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/derick.alangi>  *
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Daniel Kinzler <
>> [hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Wow, this looks great!

>> > swear at

>> quite
>> > worked
>> me
>> > about

>> > prefsection-rendering

>> > listed on
>> .
>> > org/T154371

>> > this
>> > impossibility

>> > --
>> > Daniel Kinzler
>> > Principal Platform Engineer
>> >
>> > Wikimedia Deutschland
>> > Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

יגאל חיטרון-2
I see. Thank you. But I don't think it's a cache problem, because I never
opened this page before.
Igal

On Aug 12, 2017 22:53, "bawolff" <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is kind of odd, but probably not an issue with the skin.

I suspect you have some of the MediaWiki pages cached in browser cache
from before you used the skin, and as a result are using them via a
304 response. But the user_touched timestamp should prevent that.
Maybe central auth doesn't update the local one or something. need to
look into that further.

Maybe you got logged out  and then central auth globally logged back in.

I don't know, kind of grasping here, but definitely is a MW issue not
a Timeless issue.

--
bawolff

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM, יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. I did not expected to much, because I did not like any non vector
> skins, but this is awesome! Thank you very much. One little bug - when
> working in mediawiki and navigating to another page, sometimes it opens
> again in vector and you should reopt it in in preferences.
> Igal (User:IKhitron)
>
> On Aug 12, 2017 17:51, "Alangi Derick" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wow, this is wonderful.
>>
>> I like this skin and I already switched to it. A lot of stylish minded
>> developers (like me) will start moving to the Timeless skin soon. Good
work

>> Team
>>
>> Nevertheless, will file in any bugs found :)
>>
>> *Kind regards*
>> *Alangi Derick N*
>>
>> *[image: https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick]
>> <https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/derick.alangi>  *
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Daniel Kinzler <
>> [hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Wow, this looks great!

Anyone
and

>> > swear at

>> quite
>> > worked
>> me
>> > about

>> > prefsection-rendering

>> > listed on
https://phabricator.wikimedia
>> .
>> > org/T154371

>> > this
>> > impossibility

>> > --
>> > Daniel Kinzler
>> > Principal Platform Engineer
>> >
>> > Wikimedia Deutschland
>> > Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Amir Ladsgroup
It's fantastic, it will be my default skin when it gets deployed in
Wikipedia.

One thing: OOjs UI has a different theme for monobook (apex theme) and for
vector the theme is "mediawiki", Are you planning to design another OOjs UI
theme for this skin?

Also it would be great to have it comply with WikimediaUI color palette (or
make it so only in WMF wikis), just thinking out loud.

Best
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:53 PM bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is kind of odd, but probably not an issue with the skin.
>
> I suspect you have some of the MediaWiki pages cached in browser cache
> from before you used the skin, and as a result are using them via a
> 304 response. But the user_touched timestamp should prevent that.
> Maybe central auth doesn't update the local one or something. need to
> look into that further.
>
> Maybe you got logged out  and then central auth globally logged back in.
>
> I don't know, kind of grasping here, but definitely is a MW issue not
> a Timeless issue.
>
> --
> bawolff
>
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM, יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi. I did not expected to much, because I did not like any non vector
> > skins, but this is awesome! Thank you very much. One little bug - when
> > working in mediawiki and navigating to another page, sometimes it opens
> > again in vector and you should reopt it in in preferences.
> > Igal (User:IKhitron)
> >
> > On Aug 12, 2017 17:51, "Alangi Derick" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Wow, this is wonderful.
> >>
> >> I like this skin and I already switched to it. A lot of stylish minded
> >> developers (like me) will start moving to the Timeless skin soon. Good
> work
> >> Team
> >>
> >> Nevertheless, will file in any bugs found :)
> >>
> >> *Kind regards*
> >> *Alangi Derick N*
> >>
> >> *[image: https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick]
> >> <https://twitter.com/AlangiDerick>
> >> <https://www.facebook.com/derick.alangi>  *
> >>
> >> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Daniel Kinzler <
> >> [hidden email]

> Anyone
> and

> >> quite
> at
> >> me

> as
> https://phabricator.wikimedia
> >> .

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Bartosz Dziewoński
W dniu sobota, 12 sierpnia 2017 Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> It's fantastic, it will be my default skin when it gets deployed in
> Wikipedia.
>
> One thing: OOjs UI has a different theme for monobook (apex theme) and for
> vector the theme is "mediawiki", Are you planning to design another OOjs UI
> theme for this skin?

Timeless has some styles for MediaWiki UI buttons and forms, extending that
to other things included in OOjs UI is probably possible.

The main obstacle right now would be that skins have no way to define their
own custom OOjs UI theme - I have change
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/343239/ pending review which would allow
that.

--
Matma Rex

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Jonas Kress
Thanks, I really like it!
I already installed it on my local wiki.

One thing I noticed is that the content width is smaller than with vector.
This means on the Wikibase UI you will not see the sitelinks on the right
side anymore :(.

Cheers,
Jonas

> W dniu sobota, 12 sierpnia 2017 Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
> napisał(a):
>
> > It's fantastic, it will be my default skin when it gets deployed in
> > Wikipedia.
> >
> > One thing: OOjs UI has a different theme for monobook (apex theme) and
> for
> > vector the theme is "mediawiki", Are you planning to design another OOjs
> UI
> > theme for this skin?
> >

> Timeless has some styles for MediaWiki UI buttons and forms, extending that
> to other things included in OOjs UI is probably possible.
>
> The main obstacle right now would be that skins have no way to define their
> own custom OOjs UI theme - I have change
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/343239/ pending review which would
> allow
> that.
>

> --
> Matma Rex

Jonas Kress
Software Developer

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Jan Dittrich
> This means on the Wikibase UI you will not
> see the sitelinks on the right side anymore :(.

I wonder if  that a problem of the new skin or of the way we created the
Wikidata UI?

Jan

> Thanks, I really like it!
> I already installed it on my local wiki.
>
> One thing I noticed is that the content width is smaller than with vector.
> This means on the Wikibase UI you will not see the sitelinks on the right
> side anymore :(.
>
> Cheers,
> Jonas

> > W dniu sobota, 12 sierpnia 2017 Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
> > napisał(a):
> >
> > > It's fantastic, it will be my default skin when it gets deployed in
> > > Wikipedia.
> > >
> > > One thing: OOjs UI has a different theme for monobook (apex theme) and
> > for
> > > vector the theme is "mediawiki", Are you planning to design another
> OOjs
> > UI
> > > theme for this skin?
> > >

> > Timeless has some styles for MediaWiki UI buttons and forms, extending
> that
> > to other things included in OOjs UI is probably possible.
> >
> > The main obstacle right now would be that skins have no way to define
> their
> > own custom OOjs UI theme - I have change
> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/343239/ pending review which would
> > allow
> > that.
> >

> > --
> > Matma Rex

> Jonas Kress
> Software Developer
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Jan Dittrich
UX Design/ User Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Isarra Yos
I'm going with both.

(Width cuttoffs are a bit unnecessarily narrow in Timeless, but we need
content stuff to scale down better as well, as there are also a lot of
devices that are just plain narrower, and such, too.)

On 12/08/17 20:42, Jan Dittrich wrote:

>> This means on the Wikibase UI you will not
>> see the sitelinks on the right side anymore :(.
> I wonder if  that a problem of the new skin or of the way we created the
> Wikidata UI?
>
> Jan

>> Thanks, I really like it!
>> I already installed it on my local wiki.
>>
>> One thing I noticed is that the content width is smaller than with vector.
>> This means on the Wikibase UI you will not see the sitelinks on the right
>> side anymore :(.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jonas

>>> for
>> OOjs
>>> UI
>>>>

>>> Timeless has some styles for MediaWiki UI buttons and forms, extending
>> that
>>> to other things included in OOjs UI is probably possible.
>>>
>>> The main obstacle right now would be that skins have no way to define
>> their
>>> own custom OOjs UI theme - I have change
>>> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/343239/ pending review which would
>>> allow
>>> that.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Matma Rex
>>>

>> --
>> Jonas Kress
>> Software Developer
>>
>> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
>> Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
>> http://wikimedia.de
>>
>> Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
>> sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.
>>
>> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
>> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
>> der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
>> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Isarra Yos
Yes, the plan is to make an actual oojs ui theme, but I haven't gotten
around to it because doing this stuff is complicated. If anyone wants to
start one for me, that would be really helpful.

 > Compliance with the WMF colour palette

This was the plan, but it kept changing. And apparently we still don't
have a good way to just inherit it from a central source in extensions?
I'll look into this later.

-I

On 12/08/17 20:06, Amir Ladsgroup wrote:

> It's fantastic, it will be my default skin when it gets deployed in
> Wikipedia.
>
> One thing: OOjs UI has a different theme for monobook (apex theme) and for
> vector the theme is "mediawiki", Are you planning to design another OOjs UI
> theme for this skin?
>
> Also it would be great to have it comply with WikimediaUI color palette (or
> make it so only in WMF wikis), just thinking out loud.
>
> Best
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:53 PM bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is kind of odd, but probably not an issue with the skin.
>>
>> I suspect you have some of the MediaWiki pages cached in browser cache
>> from before you used the skin, and as a result are using them via a
>> 304 response. But the user_touched timestamp should prevent that.
>> Maybe central auth doesn't update the local one or something. need to
>> look into that further.
>>
>> Maybe you got logged out  and then central auth globally logged back in.
>>
>> I don't know, kind of grasping here, but definitely is a MW issue not
>> a Timeless issue.
>>
>> --
>> bawolff
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM, יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi. I did not expected to much, because I did not like any non vector
>>> skins, but this is awesome! Thank you very much. One little bug - when
>>> working in mediawiki and navigating to another page, sometimes it opens
>>> again in vector and you should reopt it in in preferences.
>>> Igal (User:IKhitron)

>> work

>> Anyone
>> and

>> at

>> as
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Jan Dittrich
> This was the plan, but it kept changing. And apparently we still don't
have a good way to just inherit it from a central source in extensions?
I'll look into this later.

I remember there was an phabricator issue on that… but I could not find it
anymore. Volker Eckl will know, I think.

Jan

> Yes, the plan is to make an actual oojs ui theme, but I haven't gotten
> around to it because doing this stuff is complicated. If anyone wants to
> start one for me, that would be really helpful.
>
> > Compliance with the WMF colour palette
>
> This was the plan, but it kept changing. And apparently we still don't
> have a good way to just inherit it from a central source in extensions?
> I'll look into this later.
>
> -I
>

> On 12/08/17 20:06, Amir Ladsgroup wrote:
>
>> It's fantastic, it will be my default skin when it gets deployed in
>> Wikipedia.
>>
>> One thing: OOjs UI has a different theme for monobook (apex theme) and for
>> vector the theme is "mediawiki", Are you planning to design another OOjs
>> UI
>> theme for this skin?
>>
>> Also it would be great to have it comply with WikimediaUI color palette
>> (or
>> make it so only in WMF wikis), just thinking out loud.
>>
>> Best
>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:53 PM bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is kind of odd, but probably not an issue with the skin.
>>>
>>> I suspect you have some of the MediaWiki pages cached in browser cache
>>> from before you used the skin, and as a result are using them via a
>>> 304 response. But the user_touched timestamp should prevent that.
>>> Maybe central auth doesn't update the local one or something. need to
>>> look into that further.
>>>
>>> Maybe you got logged out  and then central auth globally logged back in.
>>>
>>> I don't know, kind of grasping here, but definitely is a MW issue not
>>> a Timeless issue.
>>>
>>> --
>>> bawolff

Jan Dittrich
UX Design/ User Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Prateek Saxena

Are you referring to https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123359?

Re: Timeless skin now available on mw.org

Jan Dittrich
Yes, that is the one https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123359?

jan