Times article, and BBC and Press Association followups

Times article, and BBC and Press Association followups

David Gerard-2
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article1637535.ece

I spoke to the BBC and the Press Association on the phone. The BBC
wanted a telly piece. So I went to the Borders in Oxford Circus, and
Borders kindly let the BBC film there. The interview, Rory
Callan-Jones, asked me the same question about reliability three or
four times until I got it down to a soundbite :-)

They filmed a few walking-around bits in the reference section. Oddly
enough, Borders don't sell printed encyclopedias any more. So we
decided the Oxford dictionaries would be suitable (I mentioned how the
OED used a model like ours starting 150 years ago - volunteer
contributions).

This should be on BBC1 six o'clock news this evening. Probably a
seven- to ten-second clip of me. That took an hour to make. Maybe I
might actually not end up cut this time ;-)

- d.

Re: Times article, and BBC and Press Association followups

> http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article1637535.ece

Larry Sanger says on his blog that this was the media going "let's you
and him fight" with an out of context quote:

http://blog.citizendium.org/2007/04/11/broken-beyond-repair-a-bit-out-of-context/

- d.

Re: Times article, and BBC and Press Association followups

Peter Coombe
Oh so that's what it was about! I was quite bemused when rushing across Manchester yesterday to see Sanger's Wikipedia article up on the big screen in Exchange Square (on News 24 I presume). Unfortunately I had a train to catch so couldn't stop to watch.

--
the wub