TitleValue reloaded

Daniel Kinzler
I have just pushed a new version of the TitleValue patch to Gerrit:
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/106517>.

I have also updated the RDF to reflect the latest changes:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/TitleValue>.

Please have a look. I have tried to address several issues with the previous
proposal, and reduce the complexity of the proposal. I have also tried to adjust
the service interfaces to make migration easier.

Any feedback would be very welcome!

-- daniel

Re: TitleValue reloaded

Sumana Harihareswara-2
On 02/26/2014 12:23 PM, Daniel Kinzler wrote:

> I have just pushed a new version of the TitleValue patch to Gerrit:
> <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/106517>.
>
> I have also updated the RDF to reflect the latest changes:
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/TitleValue>.
>
> Please have a look. I have tried to address several issues with the previous
> proposal, and reduce the complexity of the proposal. I have also tried to adjust
> the service interfaces to make migration easier.
>
> Any feedback would be very welcome!
>
> -- daniel

Update: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/106517/ has now been merged.
To quote the commit message:

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer

Re: TitleValue reloaded

Sumana Harihareswara-2

I asked Daniel what we need to do next on TitleValue and he said:

> Sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner. It's a bit tricky to say what
> the next steps would be. There is several directions we could take this. But
> none of them fit naturally with my Wikidata work, so I can only try to squeeze
> in bits and pieces every now and then. Would be great to get more people in on this.
>
> Anyway, here is what could be done:
>
> 1) Using TitleValue in more places. There's a refactoring of CategoryLinks [1]
> that I still need to update and rebase, and more special pages and API modules
> could follow this approach. This would improve testability, in particular.
>
> 2) Contimue wrapping up lose ends left by the TitleValue refactor. The code for
> splitting a title into its components needs to be refactored and tidied, in
> particular. This also means writing lots of tests for the current behavior of
> Title, so we don't change it.
>
> 3) factor more things out of the Title class. TitleValue is just the start. We
> could factor out the logic for permission checks into a separate "service";
> Also, we could start defining value objects for different kinds of links
> (internal, interwiki, external, etc) on top of/in addition to TitleValue. Note
> that the conflation of "title" and "link target" is the cause of quite a bit of
> confustion.
>
> 4) Refactor other "nasty" parts of MediaWiki. Some prime candidates are Linker,
> User, and WikiPage. Actually, ContentHandler could also use an overhaul: Content
> should be a plain value interface, all "smart" aspects should be factored into
> services.
>
> So much to code, so little time :)

This kind of lots-of-little-refactorings work feels like a good
candidate for a sprint at the Zurich hackathon, where people who don't
know this codebase very well can help out. Daniel, do you agree?

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer