To -l or not to -l?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

To -l or not to -l?

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Hey all,

Some time ago it was posted onto this list that the Wikimedia mailing
lists had been moved onto lists.wikimedia.org and, if I recall
correctly, we were told that we should stop using -l on the end (of
new lists) as this distinction didn't make sense anymore. When I
created the ComProj mailing list, I just requested comproj@

However, I am noticing that a lot of new lists are being created with
-l. Yes, it is tempting, it is very much in my head to... but is there
a consensus of which way to go? It seems to me that we should do one
thing or the other. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Sean

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

Casey Brown-3
If there is a guidelines about that, it seems ComProj is the only that
follows it... :-S  I think it would be best if we just keep the -l, since
all the other ones have -l. :-)

On 9/12/07, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hey all,
>
> Some time ago it was posted onto this list that the Wikimedia mailing
> lists had been moved onto lists.wikimedia.org and, if I recall
> correctly, we were told that we should stop using -l on the end (of
> new lists) as this distinction didn't make sense anymore. When I
> created the ComProj mailing list, I just requested comproj@
>
> However, I am noticing that a lot of new lists are being created with
> -l. Yes, it is tempting, it is very much in my head to... but is there
> a consensus of which way to go? It seems to me that we should do one
> thing or the other. Or am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>



--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
Note:  This e-mail address is used for mailing lists.  Personal emails sent
to
this address will probably get lost.
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

David Gerard-2
In reply to this post by Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
On 12/09/2007, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some time ago it was posted onto this list that the Wikimedia mailing
> lists had been moved onto lists.wikimedia.org and, if I recall
> correctly, we were told that we should stop using -l on the end (of
> new lists) as this distinction didn't make sense anymore. When I
> created the ComProj mailing list, I just requested comproj@
> However, I am noticing that a lot of new lists are being created with
> -l. Yes, it is tempting, it is very much in my head to... but is there
> a consensus of which way to go? It seems to me that we should do one
> thing or the other. Or am I missing something?


I see nothing wrong myself with -l on list names. It reminds people
we're talking about a list.


- d.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

KIZU Naoko
Agreed with David.
-ml and -l are traditional list address suffixes which help us to
notice what they are.

And now our system works well, I think. The lists are remembered in
their names for years. Renaming may make at least over 600  people to
change their mail application settings.

On 9/13/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/09/2007, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Some time ago it was posted onto this list that the Wikimedia mailing
> > lists had been moved onto lists.wikimedia.org and, if I recall
> > correctly, we were told that we should stop using -l on the end (of
> > new lists) as this distinction didn't make sense anymore. When I
> > created the ComProj mailing list, I just requested comproj@
> > However, I am noticing that a lot of new lists are being created with
> > -l. Yes, it is tempting, it is very much in my head to... but is there
> > a consensus of which way to go? It seems to me that we should do one
> > thing or the other. Or am I missing something?
>
>
> I see nothing wrong myself with -l on list names. It reminds people
> we're talking about a list.
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>


--
KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Good. I agree with this - since we can't rename lists, we might as
well put -l on all new lists :)

It has a nice ring to it too. Just thought I'd bring it up for
discussion for clarification.

Sean

On 12/09/2007, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed with David.
> -ml and -l are traditional list address suffixes which help us to
> notice what they are.
>
> And now our system works well, I think. The lists are remembered in
> their names for years. Renaming may make at least over 600  people to
> change their mail application settings.
>
> On 9/13/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 12/09/2007, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Some time ago it was posted onto this list that the Wikimedia mailing
> > > lists had been moved onto lists.wikimedia.org and, if I recall
> > > correctly, we were told that we should stop using -l on the end (of
> > > new lists) as this distinction didn't make sense anymore. When I
> > > created the ComProj mailing list, I just requested comproj@
> > > However, I am noticing that a lot of new lists are being created with
> > > -l. Yes, it is tempting, it is very much in my head to... but is there
> > > a consensus of which way to go? It seems to me that we should do one
> > > thing or the other. Or am I missing something?
> >
> >
> > I see nothing wrong myself with -l on list names. It reminds people
> > we're talking about a list.
> >
> >
> > - d.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > foundation-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
> >
>
>
> --
> KIZU Naoko
>   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
>   * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

Angela-5
> Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>      [hidden email]

I thought both were supposed to work, but I guess not. comproj isn't
the only one without the -l. The advisory board one is also like that.

Angela

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

Gary Kirk
I think say, [hidden email] works (not the issue here but
perhaps what you were thinking of?).

On 9/12/07, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
> >      [hidden email]
>
> I thought both were supposed to work, but I guess not. comproj isn't
> the only one without the -l. The advisory board one is also like that.
>
> Angela
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>


--
Gary Kirk

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

Luna-4
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
On 9/12/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see nothing wrong myself with -l on list names. It reminds people
> we're talking about a list.


+1

We won't always be discussing the lists in the context of a URL; I like
being able to just say "foundation-l" instead of "the foundation mailing
list," for example.

It also seems easier to remember everything, if we keep consistent "-l" or
no "-l"... and it would really be a pain to rename the older lists.

Just two more cents.

-Luna
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

Mark Ryan
I don't think anything was ever changed about the "-l" on the end of
the mailing list name; all that changed was the domain names.

WikiEN-l used to be [hidden email], now it (along with all the
other lists) is @lists.wikimedia.org.

~Mark Ryan

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: To -l or not to -l?

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
No, old lists weren't changed. I just have a vague memory of something
along the lines of "we can stop using -l now". But I like -l for all
the reasons above :)

On 14/09/2007, Mark Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think anything was ever changed about the "-l" on the end of
> the mailing list name; all that changed was the domain names.
>
> WikiEN-l used to be [hidden email], now it (along with all the
> other lists) is @lists.wikimedia.org.
>
> ~Mark Ryan
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l