Tool to "convert" timezones for international online events

Tool to "convert" timezones for international online events

Michael Schönitzer-2
Hi,

due to the global health crisis we nowadays have more online events. This
allows for people around the globe to participate but also means easier
handling different timezones is more important.
Since Wikimedians love to organize and schedule their events onwiki, often
on Meta-Wiki, I wrote a tiny userscript and template that allows organizers
to set up the conference program with UTC times and users can see them in
their local timezone and local date format. It's of course also usable for
all other kinds of pages.

It works and is useable but so far still in my user namespace:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Michael_Sch%C3%B6nitzer_(WMDE)/timezoneconverter

As the next step I would like to move it to the main namespace on meta and
convert it to a gadget. (Later it could be copied to other Wikis, when
needed.)
Before that I wanted to ask for feedback. Is this something you would use?
Is there anything esential missing, can you see any negative side effects,
or would you like it to be renamed before people start using it? Looking
forward to hearing from you.

PS: The great idea for this gadget is from Léa Lacroix.

--
*M. F. Schönitzer*
Community Communication

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0

https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

https://spenden.wikimedia.de

sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!

https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.

Re: Tool to "convert" timezones for international online events

Léa Lacroix
Thanks a lot for working on this! \o/

I'll definitely use it for the next international conference I'm involved
in (Celtic Knot Conference, for which I'm drafting the schedule right now).
I think it would be really useful to have it as a gadget, as I don't really
imagine asking our non-Wikimedians participants to "copy paste this piece
of code on your common.js".

Cheers,

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 17:14, Michael Schönitzer <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> due to the global health crisis we nowadays have more online events. This
> allows for people around the globe to participate but also means easier
> handling different timezones is more important.
> Since Wikimedians love to organize and schedule their events onwiki, often
> on Meta-Wiki, I wrote a tiny userscript and template that allows organizers
> to set up the conference program with UTC times and users can see them in
> their local timezone and local date format. It's of course also usable for
> all other kinds of pages.
>
> It works and is useable but so far still in my user namespace:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Michael_Sch%C3%B6nitzer_(WMDE)/timezoneconverter
>
> As the next step I would like to move it to the main namespace on meta and
> convert it to a gadget. (Later it could be copied to other Wikis, when
> needed.)
> Before that I wanted to ask for feedback. Is this something you would use?
> Is there anything esential missing, can you see any negative side effects,
> or would you like it to be renamed before people start using it? Looking
> forward to hearing from you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> PS: The great idea for this gadget is from Léa Lacroix.
>
> --
> *M. F. Schönitzer*
> Community Communication
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
>
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
>
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
> teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
>
> https://spenden.wikimedia.de

> sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!
>
> https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.

Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

Re: Tool to "convert" timezones for international online events

Sam Wilson
That's very cool! I've enabled it.

Maybe it could also look for <time datetime=""></time> elements as well,
which is what the {{event}} template
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Event> outputs.

Talking of events and timezones, I recently made a little TZ comparison
tool: https://meetingtimes.toolforge.org/ — it's got lots of rough edges
at the moment, but sort of works.

On 10/6/20 11:13 pm, Michael Schönitzer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> due to the global health crisis we nowadays have more online events. This
> allows for people around the globe to participate but also means easier
> handling different timezones is more important.
> Since Wikimedians love to organize and schedule their events onwiki, often
> on Meta-Wiki, I wrote a tiny userscript and template that allows organizers
> to set up the conference program with UTC times and users can see them in
> their local timezone and local date format. It's of course also usable for
> all other kinds of pages.
>
> It works and is useable but so far still in my user namespace:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Michael_Sch%C3%B6nitzer_(WMDE)/timezoneconverter
>
> As the next step I would like to move it to the main namespace on meta and
> convert it to a gadget. (Later it could be copied to other Wikis, when
> needed.)
> Before that I wanted to ask for feedback. Is this something you would use?
> Is there anything esential missing, can you see any negative side effects,
> or would you like it to be renamed before people start using it? Looking
> forward to hearing from you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> PS: The great idea for this gadget is from Léa Lacroix.

Re: Tool to "convert" timezones for international online events

Kaartic Sivaraam

On 10 June 2020 20:43:10 GMT+05:30, "Michael Schönitzer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>due to the global health crisis we nowadays have more online events.
>This
>allows for people around the globe to participate but also means easier
>handling different timezones is more important.
>Since Wikimedians love to organize and schedule their events onwiki,
>often
>on Meta-Wiki, I wrote a tiny userscript and template that allows
>organizers
>to set up the conference program with UTC times and users can see them
>in
>their local timezone and local date format. It's of course also usable
>for
>all other kinds of pages.

Nice. That would be a useful tool, indeed.

I just have a doubt. Does this script by itself add information about the timezone in which the time is shown? That would be helpful to quickly identify if the time is localized or not.

>It works and is useable but so far still in my user namespace:
>https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Michael_Sch%C3%B6nitzer_(WMDE)/timezoneconverter

<snip>

--
Sivaraam

Re: Tool to "convert" timezones for international online events

Michael Schönitzer-2
Hi,

thanks to all your valuable feedback!
@sam: I updated the tool to now (also) work with the time tag and the event
template.
@Kaartic: The timezone is shown in the "activation box". And if you hover
on a date/time it is shown completely including the timezone. I also
experimented with highlighting all converted dates, but haven't (yet) found
a nice form. I also added an option so that the timezone can be shown with
the date or separately. I'm open for further suggestions.