Tools using Google Maps and migration to Tool Labs

Tools using Google Maps and migration to Tool Labs

Silke Meyer
Hi again,

to take up a topic that was touched on at Wikimania and now discussed on labs-l: Is it allowed to migrate tools that use Google Maps?

tl;dr: Hard to tell right now. Please provide examples! Ask about your tools, give details!

Here is why:

Marc-Andre Pelletier and Luis Villa explained the following: The tool would have to respect both the Labs Terms of Use and the Google Maps Terms of Use. This can mean users have to read and acknowledge a disclaimer before a tool can point to Google Maps.
Without concrete examples this is hard to analyse. How exactly would this be used? If you want your tool to be looked at as an example please come to labs-l and present it.

Kolossos also strongly recommended to look at open source tools like OpenLayers or Leaflet as alternatives to Google Maps. Most things can be solved with open stuff nowadays.

Best,
Silke

--
Silke Meyer
Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: Tools using Google Maps and migration to Tool Labs

Maarten Dammers
Hi Silke,

Op 27-8-2013 15:30, Silke Meyer schreef:

> tl;dr: Hard to tell right now. Please provide examples! Ask about your
> tools, give details!
http://toolserver.org/~locator/coordinates.php

Maarten

Re: Tools using Google Maps and migration to Tool Labs

AleXXw
Hi Silke!

> tl;dr: Hard to tell right now. Please provide examples! Ask about your tools, give details!

LG Alex