Topical Coverage of Wikipedia

Alex Halavais
Some of you might be interested in a new article:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2008.00403.x

An Analysis of Topical Coverage of Wikipedia
* Alexander Halavais & Derek Lackaff

Abstract

Many have questioned the reliability and accuracy of Wikipedia. Here a
different issue, but one closely related: how broad is the coverage of
Wikipedia? Differences in the interests and attention of Wikipedia's
editors mean that some areas, in the traditional sciences, for
example, are better covered than others. Two approaches to measuring
this coverage are presented. The first maps the distribution of topics
on Wikipedia to the distribution of books published. The second
compares the distribution of topics in three established,
field-specific academic encyclopedias to the articles found in
Wikipedia. Unlike the top-down construction of traditional
encyclopedias, Wikipedia's topical coverage is driven by the interests
of its users, and as a result, the reliability and completeness of
Wikipedia is likely to be different depending on the subject-area of
the article.

Re: Topical Coverage of Wikipedia

Andrew Krizhanovsky
Hello.

Is this article available online?
Or only for users which have Athens login?

-- Regards
Andrew Krizhanovsky

Alex Halavais said the following on 02/15/2008 12:34 AM:
> Some of you might be interested in a new article:
> http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2008.00403.x
>
> An Analysis of Topical Coverage of Wikipedia
> * Alexander Halavais & Derek Lackaff

Re: Topical Coverage of Wikipedia

Andre Engels
2008/2/15, Andrew Krizhanovsky <[hidden email]>:

>  Is this article available online?
>  Or only for users which have Athens login?

For me there are links to the full text of the article at the bottom,
and I don't think I have any special logins.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels