Totals of loggable actions?

Brianna Laugher
Hi,

Would it be possible to add to the API, the ability to report totals
of particular log actions over given time periods?
Actions: un/protect, un/block, file upload, page creation,
un/deletion, un/assigning user rights, move, user creation, user
rename.
It could be fixed time periods (eg days, weeks, months) if constantly
calculating them for arbitrary time periods was considered too
intensive.

I often only want totals and having to page through results with heaps
of detail I don't care about is a drag.

For example, I would like to see the user creation totals on Commons,
to see the effect of SUL.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Totals of loggable actions?

Roan Kattouw
---- Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> schrijft:

> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to add to the API, the ability to report totals
> of particular log actions over given time periods?
> Actions: un/protect, un/block, file upload, page creation,
> un/deletion, un/assigning user rights, move, user creation, user
> rename.
> It could be fixed time periods (eg days, weeks, months) if constantly
> calculating them for arbitrary time periods was considered too
> intensive.

I'm sorry, but you're just gonna have to use the old-fashioned way of paging through list=logevents's output and counting stuff. Use lelimit=max and a bot/sysop account and you'll get 5000 entries per request.

> I often only want totals and having to page through results with heaps
> of detail I don't care about is a drag.
There are two things you can do about this. To prevent having to throw away lots of entries that don't match your criteria, use filtering parameters like letype. To get only the details you're interested in (saves bandwidth), use leprop. You can't set leprop to empty, unfortunately, but you can do something like leprop=ids to get very little data.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

2008/8/11  <[hidden email]>:
> I'm sorry, but you're just gonna have to use the old-fashioned way of paging through list=logevents's output and counting stuff. Use lelimit=max and a bot/sysop account and you'll get 5000 entries per request.

Is it particularly annoying if I ask why?

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/