Tours! -badly organized

Deror Avi
The conference tours suffered from lack of organization from the beginning. The tours were poorly organized, badly publicized, not properly described etc.

I have signed up to the NARA conservation lab tour. The description of which included two meeting points - a block apart from each other (one on Pensilvania ave and one on constitution avenue) both of which were wrong - the group met elsewhere resulting in a delay trying to find the participants.

The tour description listed that a photo ID is required and an official one - government one. I thought a driving license (sufficient for driving in the US) with a photo ID suffices but no. After having passed security checks (checking bags and detectors as in airport) And having to wait a bit longer, I was informed that only a passport is acceptable, and denied entrance to the tour, thus waiting a full hour and a half (traveling and waiting) due to the fact that the tour organizer is clueless.

I am not blaming the security staff there- they have their regulations, and need to follow them. But how hard would it be for the organizers to do simple basic homework and ask what is required for a foreign tourist to enter.

And I was not the only wikipedian disallowed from entering, Osama was also kept out.

My recommendation to you all - if this tour is any indication - do not bother to go on any other tours.

Deror

Sent from my iPad

Re: Tours! -badly organized

Arnav Sonara
+1

We were there at Capitol today morning, found no one, later came to know that you are not even allowed to take water inside and couple of guys with me had sunscreen lotions and water and snacks, so we returned. I just wish if there be a point of contact for all tours or groups and one final mail confirming the time and location (exact).

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Deror <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks
Arnav (ricku).

(User:Rangilo_Gujarati)

Re: Tours! -badly organized

Andrew Lih-2
Deror, so sorry to hear about your experience with the tours. This is what I was afraid of with the local DC organizing crew, and hopefully they will make adjustments as Wikimania ramps up to the full conference days.

I'll do what I can to put tell James Hare and folks to step up their game.

Even though I'm not part of the team, DC is my town of birth and Wikimania is close to my heart, so it saddens me when things start off badly for participants who have travelled so far and made such specific plans.

Regards,
-Andrew

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Deror <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism
USC Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http:/www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: WikiFactcheck: http://wikifactcheck.org/wiki

Re: Tours! -badly organized

Aude-2
We are going again tomorrow morning to the Capitol.

9:00 am, Wednesday morning, July 11th meet at the Capitol Visitor Center, either inside by the Freedom statue, or outside by the security checkpoint.

 Alternatively, we can meet 8:15 a.m. in lobby of Marvin Center.

Don't bring food or water, as it's not allowed through security. (sorry, I didn't know that) but backpacks and computers are okay.

I got about 35 passes for the house/senate galleries tomorrow, and they are in session and we can get more on site for international folks, if needed.

If anyone has questions, please let me know.

Cheers,
Katie

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Arnav Sonara <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

You've just named three meeting points. Don't do that! Pick one.

Well, not everyone wants to come to the venue first and not everyone is comfortable getting their by themselves.  Hence, meeting at the venue early and the tour site a bit later.  We'll find people whether you are outside or inside.

Cheers,
Katie

[...]

Alhen
Thanks Aude. We're three going, Dvortygirl, Mikael and I. We'll meet you there at 9:00 at security then. We'll be wearing wiki t-shirts so you can spot us, see you tomorrow!! :D

Alhen

@alhen_
alhen at wikipedia, wikihow, wikispaces, and most places.
Promotor de Wikimedia Bolivia
00-591-79592235

2012/7/10 aude <[hidden email]>
[...]

Evangeline Han
At which floor is the lobby of Marvin Center?

-Evangeline

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:22 AM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> the tour, thus waiting a full hour and a half (traveling and waiting) due to
>>> the fact that the tour organizer is clueless.
>>>
>>> I am not blaming the security staff there- they have their regulations,
>>> and need to follow them. But how hard would it be for the organizers to do
>>> simple basic homework and ask what is required for a foreign tourist to
>>> enter.
>>>
>>> And I was not the only wikipedian disallowed from entering, Osama was
>>> also kept out.
>>>
>>> My recommendation to you all - if this tour is any indication - do not
>>> bother to go on any other tours.
>>>
>>> Deror
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPad

>> --
>> Thanks
>> Arnav (ricku).
>> (User:Rangilo_Gujarati)

> Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia

KA360
Is it necessary to register before if wish to join this tour?
(2012/07/10 22:49), Evngeline Han wrote:

> At which floor is the lobby of Marvin Center?
>
> -Evangeline
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:22 AM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We are going again tomorrow morning to the Capitol.
>>
>> 9:00 am, Wednesday morning, July 11th meet at the Capitol Visitor Center,
>> either inside by the Freedom statue, or outside by the security checkpoint.
>>
>>   Alternatively, we can meet 8:15 a.m. in lobby of Marvin Center.
>>
>> Don't bring food or water, as it's not allowed through security. (sorry, I
>> didn't know that) but backpacks and computers are okay.
>>
>> I got about 35 passes for the house/senate galleries tomorrow, and they are
>> in session and we can get more on site for international folks, if needed.
>>
>> If anyone has questions, please let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Katie
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Arnav Sonara <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> +1
>>>
>>> We were there at Capitol today morning, found no one, later came to know
>>> that you are not even allowed to take water inside and couple of guys with
>>> me had sunscreen lotions and water and snacks, so we returned. I just wish
>>> if there be a point of contact for all tours or groups and one final mail
>>> confirming the time and location (exact).

>>> --
>>> Thanks
>>> Arnav (ricku).

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Doraemon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it necessary to register before if wish to join this tour?

Not necessary but would be helpful to put your name on the list.

Cheers,
Katie

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Evangeline Han <[hidden email]> wrote:
At which floor is the lobby of Marvin Center?

We will be near the main entrance, on the ground floor, where registration desk is and sitting area with tables.

Please bring your SmarTrip card, if you have one (with $3.80 on it, or you can put some on at the metro station).  Otherwise, it's ($5.80) for the metro, roundtrip between Foggy Bottom and the Capitol, with a paper farecard which you can buy at the metro station.

> [...]

>>> I am not blaming the security staff there- they have their regulations,
>>> and need to follow them. But how hard would it be for the organizers to do
>>> simple basic homework and ask what is required for a foreign tourist to
>>> enter.
>>>
>>> And I was not the only wikipedian disallowed from entering, Osama was
>>> also kept out.
>>>
>>> My recommendation to you all - if this tour is any indication - do not
>>> bother to go on any other tours.
>>>
>>> Deror
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPad

>> --
>> Thanks
>> Arnav (ricku).
>> (User:Rangilo_Gujarati)

> Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
> http://wikimediadc.org
> @wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia

Dominic-21
On 7/10/12 3:43 PM, Deror wrote:
The conference tours suffered from lack of organization from the beginning. The tours were poorly organized, badly publicized, not properly described etc.

I have signed up to the NARA conservation lab tour. The description of which included two meeting points - a block apart from each other (one on Pensilvania ave and one on constitution avenue) both of which were wrong - the group met elsewhere resulting in a delay trying to find the participants.

This is completely my fault. It was a copy and paste error from when I was writing the description. It's too bad no one noticed this early enough to point it out, and I apologize.

The tour description listed that a photo ID is required and an official one - government one. I thought a driving license (sufficient for driving in the US) with a photo ID suffices but no. After having passed security checks (checking bags and detectors as in airport) And having to wait a bit longer, I was informed that only a passport is acceptable, and denied entrance to the tour, thus waiting a full hour and a half (traveling and waiting) due to the fact that the tour organizer is clueless.

I am not blaming the security staff there- they have their regulations, and need to follow them. But how hard would it be for the organizers to do simple basic homework and ask what is required for a foreign tourist to enter.

This is perplexing to me. I have never encountered this policy, and the National Archives web site makes no mention of it("Show official identification that includes a photograph. Acceptable IDs include driver's license, passport, and school and employment identification."), or special requirements for non-US IDs. To be clear, this is not a problem of the Wikimania organizers being disorganized or not doing basic homework. In fact, the NARA tours were completely organized by NARA staff and posted to the Wikimania wiki by myself. I suspect this was security's error, or else they were applying unpublished rules to members of the public (which would be quite unfair and impossible to have foreseen).

And I was not the only wikipedian disallowed from entering, Osama was also kept out.

I talked to Osama, and, while that is also unfortunate, I believe this was because of the lack of any photo ID with him on the time, so it couldn't really be avoided.

My recommendation to you all - if this tour is any indication - do not bother to go on any other tours.

I don't think that is a productive suggestion. Real effort (and expense!) have gone into ensuring that we are able to showcase some of D.C.'s local attractions for our guests. While I recognize that there was a problem with your entry, the National Archives is visited by many thousands of tourists and researchers, domestic and foreign, every year without incident. For NARA's tours, a diverse array of staff—from conservators and technicians to social media staff to a senior archivist—have come together to offer these different tours. I hope everyone who is interested gets  a chance to attend and is not scared off; there will be tours of the National Archives rotunda (housing the original American Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights) tomorrow, meeting at 1 p.m.

Dominic

Re: Tours! -badly organized

Nicholas Michael Bashour
Please note that the "ground floor," where registration is, is really floor 1, not floor G.

Nicholas

2012/7/10 aude <[hidden email]>
> [...]

>>> I am not blaming the security staff there- they have their regulations,
>>> and need to follow them. But how hard would it be for the organizers to do
>>> simple basic homework and ask what is required for a foreign tourist to
>>> enter.
>>>
>>> And I was not the only wikipedian disallowed from entering, Osama was
>>> also kept out.
>>>
>>> My recommendation to you all - if this tour is any indication - do not
>>> bother to go on any other tours.
>>>
>>> Deror
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPad

>> --
>> Thanks
>> Arnav (ricku).
>> (User:Rangilo_Gujarati)

> Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
> http://wikimediadc.org
> @wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia

Thomas Morton
This is perplexing to me. I have never encountered this policy, and the National Archives web site makes no mention of it("Show official identification that includes a photograph. Acceptable IDs include driver's license, passport, and school and employment identification."), or special requirements for non-US IDs.

Ah! You should have talked to regular foreign travellers in the US; more often than not non-US driving licenses (etc.) are not accepted. Passports are the only widely accepted form of ID for most travellers. Especially in the capitol.

YMMV, but I couldn't order drinks using my license the last time I was there :)

Tom

Re: Iphone charger

Florence Devouard-2
This morning, I can see two iphone charger in my bag.
I reasonably only own one. I probably picked up one belonging to a
chapter meeting participant yesterday.

If one of yours is missing, you may know why :)

Flo

Re: Tours! -badly organized

Srikeit

Hi guys, Arnav and I are at the visitor centre in the Capitol building but haven't been able to find anyone.
Can someone give us Katie's number?

Thanks

On 11 Jul 2012 04:13, "Thomas Morton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is perplexing to me. I have never encountered this policy, and the National Archives web site makes no mention of it("Show official identification that includes a photograph. Acceptable IDs include driver's license, passport, and school and employment identification."), or special requirements for non-US IDs.

Ah! You should have talked to regular foreign travellers in the US; more often than not non-US driving licenses (etc.) are not accepted. Passports are the only widely accepted form of ID for most travellers. Especially in the capitol.

YMMV, but I couldn't order drinks using my license the last time I was there :)

Tom

Re: Tours! -badly organized

Aude-2
We will be out by the freedom statue at 11 and have gallery passes

Katie

Sent from my iPhone