Training for administrators

Pine W
Hi folks,

Related to discussions that some of us have had previously about (1) developing training for Wikipedia administrators, (2) increasing the community's capacity to address incivility and harassment, and (3) improving community health, I've proposed https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Training_for_administrators as a part of the current Inspire campaign.

This project could become an extension of my current video project, or it might be handled completely independently by a different project leader.

Regardless of who eventually leads the project, I would appreciate your comments about the proposal, whether positive, negative, or indifferent. Please discuss on the IdeaLab pages. (:

Thanks!

Pine

Re: Training for administrators

Oliver Keyes-5
Well, my feedback would be that for this to be useful I would expect
researchers *from* that subject-matter background to be involved. I
don't see this (nor a concrete plan for their involvement).

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Related to discussions that some of us have had previously about (1)
> developing training for Wikipedia administrators, (2) increasing the
> community's capacity to address incivility and harassment, and (3) improving
> community health, I've proposed
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Training_for_administrators
> as a part of the current Inspire campaign.
>
> This project could become an extension of my current video project, or it
> might be handled completely independently by a different project leader.
>
> Regardless of who eventually leads the project, I would appreciate your
> comments about the proposal, whether positive, negative, or indifferent.
> Please discuss on the IdeaLab pages. (:
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pine

Re: Training for administrators

Pine W
Hi Oliver,

In terms of concrete plans to involve at least one expert, I've made a couple of initial queries to see if there is a professor at the University of Washington's Department of Psychology who would be qualified and interested to work on this proposal. Outreach and screening of potential consultants will take on greater importance if this idea gets traction on the Wikimedia side. At this point I think it's unlikely that I will be the project lead, so whoever does become the project lead on the Wikimedia side will likely need to do further work on outreach and screening to select the final expert(s).

Pine

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, my feedback would be that for this to be useful I would expect
researchers *from* that subject-matter background to be involved. I
don't see this (nor a concrete plan for their involvement).

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Related to discussions that some of us have had previously about (1)
> developing training for Wikipedia administrators, (2) increasing the
> community's capacity to address incivility and harassment, and (3) improving
> community health, I've proposed
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Training_for_administrators
> as a part of the current Inspire campaign.
>
> This project could become an extension of my current video project, or it
> might be handled completely independently by a different project leader.
>
> Regardless of who eventually leads the project, I would appreciate your
> comments about the proposal, whether positive, negative, or indifferent.
> Please discuss on the IdeaLab pages. (:
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pine

Re: Training for administrators

Oliver Keyes-5
Hey Pine,

That's good to hear; I am glad to hear people will be doing outreach on this.

I'd argue that this is one of those areas where experts are needed in
structuring the nature of the proposal, not just the materials used,
and so in the future it would be nice if they were involved in the
design of the grant request itself.