Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

Christophe Henner
Hi folks,

On the 9th March 2007, at 8h00 UTC on #wikimedia-translation,
wikimedians had a meeting about the translation in the Wikimedia
projects
and about the TransCom in particular. 13 people participated at the
meeting, you can find the list of them on meta. [1] along with the
log.

Many issues have been talked during this two hours, and in my opinion
this kind of meeting is really productive. The issues were:
*The Translation Request page reform.
*The importance of translation among the projects communities
*How to inform the community of related and relevant issues about WMF
*Where to work?
*Recruitment of new volunteers and local coordinator

I will summarize the meeting, but if you have any question about the
meeting, the transcom or the translations, you're invited to join
#wikimedia-translation
channel on IRC (irc.freenode/net) and leave your question or to mail
"translators-l [at] lists.wikimedia [dot] org".


== The Translation Request page reform ==

On the last transcom meeting it has been raised problems with the
Translation Request page, next to this aphaia started to make a new
one. She has made a great
job and showed during the meeting what will probably be the future TR.
We talked about the organisation of the page, what to add, remove,
etc... the
page is still under construction and will be set up within the next weeks.

== The importance of translation among the projects communities ==
We all agreed that the translation was important to get more local
volunteers involved within the Wikimedia Foundation and the Chapters.
We talked about
how to get more people involved in the translations. There was many
problems interdependent. First we are actually outnumbered and the
translations of Press
Statement take many days, when they're translated. So we need to have
more translators, if we want more translators, we have to take time to
communicate with
the community. But we also need time to translate Press Statement.

== How to inform the community of related and relevant issues about WMF ==
So we have, and still are, talked on how to get more people involved.
We have listed what's
actually existing: LSS and the Wikizine. Actually none is mastered by a
committee, we discussed on how to get the transcom more involved.

During the meeting schiste putted a stress on a test make on the
french Wikipedia. Two announcement pages has been set up, one for the
foundation and the second for the local chapter.
As those pages have been created really recently and it needs a lot of
time , we will see in few weeks how to enhanced the use of this kind
of page.

== Where to work? ==
Actually the transcom does work on meta., and for translations it's
enough. But an issue has been raised, can't the TransCom become the
core committee between
the different communities and the foundation. On a first time we can
continue to translate the Press Statement, and the stuff from the
foundations, I do believe this
kind of translations needs to be easily reachable by the community.
meta. is a mess, newcomers can't find anything. If we want to have
more volunteers implicated in the foundation,
we need to be attractive. To get people involved we need to provide a
place where the community can find easily the main information, here
comes the idea of a "translation wiki".
It would be a wiki with important information, press statement,
foundation announcement, chapters report,  etc... translated in many
languages. A wiki of this kind would be a way to
tempt people, and get them involved either in the foundation or their chapter

== Recruitment of new volunteers and local coordinator ==
As written above, this is a more than important issue. In the next
weeks the Translation Committee will communicate with the local
projects in order to find new members and to involve some people
as local coordinator. The TransCom needs to have more volunteers to
translate statements faster, and to provide more information to the
communities.


This is a quick summary of a meeting of two hours, we spoke of some
other stuff, but there are the more important ones. I hope the
transCom will soon have new
members.


All the best

[1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications_subcommittees/Trans/meetings/2007-03



--
schiste

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

Guillaume Paumier
Good evening,

On 3/11/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

== Where to work? ==
Actually the transcom does work on meta., and for translations it's
enough. But an issue has been raised, can't the TransCom become the
core committee between
the different communities and the foundation. On a first time we can
continue to translate the Press Statement, and the stuff from the
foundations, I do believe this
kind of translations needs to be easily reachable by the community.
meta. is a mess, newcomers can't find anything. If we want to have
more volunteers implicated in the foundation,
we need to be attractive. To get people involved we need to provide a
place where the community can find easily the main information, here
comes the idea of a "translation wiki".
It would be a wiki with important information, press statement,
foundation announcement, chapters report,  etc... translated in many
languages. A wiki of this kind would be a way to
tempt people, and get them involved either in the foundation or their chapter

I don't see the problem with going on using meta for translation. If you think translations are difficult to find on meta, you can create a "translation portal" (it seems to me it already exists as [[m:TR]] but I may be wrong). We are precisely closing some "peripheral" wikis because information is split in many places and that makes it difficult to find it. Opening yet another wiki will not attract more people, but it is a damn good way to lose people on the road.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]
http://www.wikimedia.org
_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

Christophe Henner
On 11/03/07, Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> On 3/11/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > == Where to work? ==
> > Actually the transcom does work on meta., and for translations it's
> > enough. But an issue has been raised, can't the TransCom become the
> > core committee between
> > the different communities and the foundation. On a first time we can
> > continue to translate the Press Statement, and the stuff from the
> > foundations, I do believe this
> > kind of translations needs to be easily reachable by the community.
> > meta. is a mess, newcomers can't find anything. If we want to have
> > more volunteers implicated in the foundation,
> > we need to be attractive. To get people involved we need to provide a
> > place where the community can find easily the main information, here
> > comes the idea of a "translation wiki".
> > It would be a wiki with important information, press statement,
> > foundation announcement, chapters report,  etc... translated in many
> > languages. A wiki of this kind would be a way to
> > tempt people, and get them involved either in the foundation or their
> chapter
>
> I don't see the problem with going on using meta for translation. If you
> think translations are difficult to find on meta, you can create a
> "translation portal" (it seems to me it already exists as [[m:TR]] but I may
> be wrong). We are precisely closing some "peripheral" wikis because
> information is split in many places and that makes it difficult to find it.
> Opening yet another wiki will not attract more people, but it is a damn good
> way to lose people on the road.
>
> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> [[m:User:guillom]]
> http://www.wikimedia.org
> _______________________________________________
> Translators-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
>
>

As you can read on the very first lign of this section meta. is enough
for translations :)

What I'm speaking about is wider. Actually we have big communities,
but what about a core Community. Are we enough volounteer? No we're
not. Is it easy for volounteers to get involved? Not at all. What I'm
speaking about is linking the communities.

This part is the long term part of the meeting. It's not something to
do tommorrow but something we have to begin to set up.

This part was "start reflexion", and I will continue to push it
forward with the recruitment of the volounteer coordinator. We need
more internal communication, and meta. is not right for this, it will
be easier to have a main community wiki and then guide them where they
can help.
--
schiste

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

Guillaume Paumier

On 3/11/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

As you can read on the very first lign of this section meta. is enough
for translations :)

You are the one talking about a "translation wiki".

What I'm speaking about is wider. Actually we have big communities,
but what about a core Community. Are we enough volounteer? No we're
not. Is it easy for volounteers to get involved? Not at all. What I'm
speaking about is linking the communities.

This part is the long term part of the meeting. It's not something to
do tommorrow but something we have to begin to set up.

This part was "start reflexion", and I will continue to push it
forward with the recruitment of the volounteer coordinator. We need
more internal communication, and meta. is not right for this, it will
be easier to have a main community wiki and then guide them where they
can help.

Could you just explain *once* *why* meta is not "right for this"? Meta is our central coordination wiki. Linking the communities is one of its goals. If meta fails in that, improve it, it is a wiki.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]
http://www.wikimedia.org
_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

Habj
In reply to this post by Christophe Henner


2007/3/11, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]>:
To get people involved we need to provide a
place where the community can find easily the main information, here
comes the idea of a "translation wiki".

If one does want a separate "translation wiki", couldn't this be achieved by a navigation template on all translation related pages? What difference would it make to be on another wiki? Maybe Meta is scary - yes it is. I hesitate to create pages there. So maybe we need to learn to be bold, and teach others to be bold, on meta.

To get more people involved in translation, IMHO the answer is to do it on a wiki that people visit for other reasons, i.e. for instance a Wikipedia. When translating these pages with (for me) very difficult American business terms and titles, I need to ask people who knows about such things about terminology. Since I translate to Swedish, I find them on the biggest Swedish-language project, Swedish Wikipedia. If the translation takes place on Meta, then they will probably answer my question on my svwiki talk page. Since we moved the translations to Swedish Wikipedia, however, these are more likely to insert their terminology direct in the translation. Having the translation page on the "home wiki" means one notices when new translations have been started on the usual watchlist, etc.

/habj



_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] Translation Commitee's meeting report (2007/03)

KIZU Naoko
In reply to this post by Christophe Henner
Hello all,
first Kudos to Christophe for his detailed reports and devout
engagement. Thanks.

On 3/12/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Plenty of good stuff here. And in reading this specific part, I was
> wondering if you should not discuss this with Sandy as well so that it
> be part of the other reform she is working on for communication issues.

Yes, it will be nice for us all to have Sandy as participant to this
discussion. I expect she subscribes it, and let her idea in the next
week (she is now am 3 or 4 on Monday, I suppose).

> I do not know if it is a good idea to do a transwiki. It has positive
> and negative sides. On the positive, it will be probably much easier for
> you to organise. On the other hand, less visibility to recruit new
> volunteers. Dunno.

Yes, there are both bright side and dark side. Through the discussion
on translations-l, however we found several points we want to improve.
They will be reflected to the ongoing reconstruction of
[[m:Translation requests]].

Since there are already a lengthy thread on translations-l, I expect
all of you follow the thread on translation-l for readers'
convenience.


--
KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l