Translation of Terms of Use

Woojin Kim
Today I opened translation requests for Terms of Uses. Terms of Use will be linked from *every* wiki, so This translation is one of the most important thing. we need your help.

Thank you.

--
김우진
Woojin Kim

Re: Translation of Terms of Use

Casey Brown-3
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Woojin Kim<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Today I opened translation requests for Terms of Uses. Terms of Use will be
> linked from *every* wiki, so This translation is one of the most important
> thing. we need your help.
>
> You can translate in
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/Terms_of_Use

Please don't go off by yourself and do things like this, Erik
suggested we wait to do this:
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2009-June/000963.html>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: Translation of Terms of Use

Erik Moeller-4
2009/6/27 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
>> You can translate in
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/Terms_of_Use
>>

> Please don't go off by yourself and do things like this, Erik
> suggested we wait to do this:
> <http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2009-June/000963.html>

I think the implementation page -
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation - is
more useful to translate at this point as this is what wikis will
hopefully use to create their own, local copies of the terms of use.
There's no harm in translating the WMF copy, but it doesn't allow for
project-specific customizations.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Translation of Terms of Use

Gergő Tisza
Erik Moeller <erik <at> wikimedia.org> writes:

> I think the implementation page -
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Implementation - is
> more useful to translate at this point as this is what wikis will
> hopefully use to create their own, local copies of the terms of use.
> There's no harm in translating the WMF copy, but it doesn't allow for
> project-specific customizations.

It makes sense to link to the translation on the WMF wiki from the default
translated versions of the messages, and projects can then change the link once
they create a translation of their own. It is no extra work since the original
text has to be translated anyway.