Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Guillaume Paumier
Hello,

Some French-language Wikipedians would like to translate the text of the two
images at the bottom of each page: "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by
MediaWiki". To answer them I would like to know:
* if it is technically possible;
* what people from the Foundation think about it.

Thanks for your answers.

g.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Disciplus Simplex

Re: Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Александр Сигачёв
> * if it is technically possible;

Yes, you can use JavaScript to change it.

--
Alexander Sigachov

Re: [Wikitech-l] Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Forwarding to Foundation list - this is being put as a trademark
question, not a technical question.

The question: is it allowable to translate the "Powered by MediaWiki"
and "A Wikimedia project" logos? Given the puzzle globe is routinely
translated ...

- d.

On 04/09/06, Steve Summit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob Church wrote:
> > It is not technically possible to translate the "powered by MediaWiki"
> > logo at present.
>
> So many things that need to be parameterizable, so little time... :-)
>
> > I'm not from the Foundation, but I think that translating the "powered
> > by MediaWiki" logo will lead to inconsistencies with other uses of the
> > software; that button brands all MediaWiki wikis, and should be kept
> > as such.
>
> I'm not from the Foundation, either (and know less about it than
> Rob does), but it seems to me that retaining the image part of
> each image, and the names "Wikimedia" and "MediaWiki", and the
> background shading and the text font and color and the overall
> look and feel and everything, while changing only the words
> "A ... project" and "Powered By" to proper translations in a
> wiki's local language, ought to be perfectly acceptable (if it
> was technically possible).

Re: [Wikitech-l] Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Guillaume Paumier
Hi and thanks for your answers so far

> Forwarding to Foundation list - this is being put as a trademark
> question, not a technical question.
>
> The question: is it allowable to translate the "Powered by MediaWiki"
> and "A Wikimedia project" logos? Given the puzzle globe is routinely
> translated ...
>

> - d.

Actually, my original email was sent to both foundation-l and wikitech-l...

g.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Disciplus Simplex
http://fr.wikipedia.org : Resistance is futile — You will be assimilated.

Re: Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Arne 'Timwi' Heizmann
Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some French-language Wikipedians would like to translate the text of the two
> images at the bottom of each page: "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by
> MediaWiki". To answer them I would like to know:
> * if it is technically possible;
> * what people from the Foundation think about it.

There is no reason why we couldn't do this. All we need to do is have
those two images access an actual wiki image, just like the logo in the
top-left corner is actually [[Image:Wiki.png]] (correct me if I'm
wrong). Granting access to change those images to sysops only is way
enough to ensure that any necessary restrictions are met (e.g. the
MediaWiki one must mention MediaWiki and must not change the MediaWiki
logo).

Timwi

Re: Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Platonides

"Timwi" wrote:
> There is no reason why we couldn't do this. All we need to do is have
> those two images access an actual wiki image, just like the logo in the
> top-left corner is actually [[Image:Wiki.png]] (correct me if I'm
> wrong). Granting access to change those images to sysops only is way
> enough to ensure that any necessary restrictions are met (e.g. the
> MediaWiki one must mention MediaWiki and must not change the MediaWiki
> logo).
>
> Timwi
It'd be changed by the devs, so really no problem. The different
translations should be available at a gallery on mediawiki.org.
Question: should they be loacally uploaded or on commons?