Translation request: CentralNotice with last call for FDC nominations

Translation request: CentralNotice with last call for FDC nominations

Tilman Bayer
Hi all,

the CentralNotice with the "last call" reminder for those Wikimedians
who are considering to volunteer on the new Funds Dissemination
Committee is going live shortly, and although it will include a link
to the translation page (and only be displayed to logged-in users),
and the linked nominations page is unfortunately English-only, it
would be great to have at least some of the larger languages available
from the start:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Call_for_Volunteers/CentralNotice

Note: I considered sending this out to via an all-languages
translation notification too, but was hesitant to do so because it is
a really short text and a short term matter (nominations close August
15, so many translators might find this notification on their talk
page only after it has become obsolete), and I think we need to be a
bit careful with the new system so as not to have people feel spammed
and sign off. I'd be interested in opinions though whether any and all
translations should be sent through the notification system.

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)

Re: Translation request: CentralNotice with last call for FDC nominations

Benjamin Chen-2
zh and all its variants are ready to be published.

Best regards,
Benjamin Chen / User:Bencmq

On Monday, 13 August, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Tilman Bayer wrote:

[...]

Giancarlo Contrafatto
On 13/08/2012 05:34, Benjamin Chen wrote:
> zh and all its variants are ready to be published.
>
> Best regards,
> Benjamin Chen / User:Bencmq

IT is ready for proofreading.

Regards
G. Contrafatto/User: gianco

Re: Translation request: CentralNotice with last call for FDC nominations

Eleri James
Query on message "Help decide about more than $‍10 million of Wikimedia donations"

How is "$‍10 million" rendered? If it appears with a localised currency symbol, does the computer know how to convert $10 to the local currency?

Eleri James

Re: Translation request: CentralNotice with last call for FDC nominations

Tilman Bayer
It is supposed to render as "$10 million" (the "&zwj;" is just to
avoid problems with the syntax of the Translate extension and later on
the JavaScript in the CentralNotice).

In the translation, feel free to change it to a different wording that
describes ten million US dollars. Or actually to convert that amount
to a local currency yourself -  although that may not make sense in
all languages, as for many of them have a substantial amount of
readers in several countries, so that there would be several possible
local currencies.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Eleri James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Query on message "Help decide about more than $&zwj;10 million of Wikimedia
> donations"
>
> How is "$&zwj;10 million" rendered? If it appears with a localised currency
> symbol, does the computer know how to convert $10 to the local currency?
>
> Eleri James
>
> ________________________________

&zwj; means zero-width joiner. You can read more about it on  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_joiner

(un-official answer:) At least I don't use it in my language, not even the dollar sign. Feel free to localise it (e.g. use localised currency or leave it as USD) It's a reminder, not a formal document so I believe conveying the message is more important than the accuracy of amount of money we have.

Best regards,
[[User:Bencmq]] / Benjamin Chen

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Eleri James <[hidden email]> wrote:
Query on message "Help decide about more than $&zwj;10 million of Wikimedia donations"

How is "$&zwj;10 million" rendered? If it appears with a localised currency symbol, does the computer know how to convert $10 to the local currency?

Eleri James

Re: Translation request: CentralNotice with last call for FDC nominations

Tilman Bayer
And *of course* it turns out that while &zwj; works fine in Chrome,
Firefox and Opera, it looks a bit weird in IE. I'm replacing it by a
&nbsp; for now; although there may be better suggestions.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Benjamin Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> &zwj; means zero-width joiner. You can read more about it on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_joiner
>
> (un-official answer:) At least I don't use it in my language, not even the
> dollar sign. Feel free to localise it (e.g. use localised currency or leave
> it as USD) It's a reminder, not a formal document so I believe conveying the
> message is more important than the accuracy of amount of money we have.
Right. It's a ballpark figure in any case, I believe the exact number
is expected to be closer to $11 million.

> Best regards,
> [[User:Bencmq]] / Benjamin Chen
>

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Eleri James <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Query on message "Help decide about more than $&zwj;10 million of
>> Wikimedia donations"
>>
>> How is "$&zwj;10 million" rendered? If it appears with a localised
>> currency symbol, does the computer know how to convert $10 to the local
>> currency?
>>
>> Eleri James

Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: Translation request: CentralNotice with last call for FDC nominations

Eleri James
Personally, I am most interested in being notified of central notices that are going to appear on all wikis in my language. I would find it useful if the fact of there being a central notice (or fundraising material) to be translated is highlighted in the notification system, either by e-mail or on a talk page. Then I can choose to skip most of the other material for translation.

Also, I expect that once this system has settled down, we will get more than a few hours' notice of central notices to be published.  It was pure luck that I happened to read the e-mail below today and had the opportunity to translate and arrange for a proofreader.  2-4 weeks notice is more realistic in the long term.

I appreciate the inclusion of a link to the translation page in the central notice - this saves a lot of aggravation.

Eleri James