[Translation request] New frontpage on mediawiki.org

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Translation request] New frontpage on mediawiki.org

Andre Klapper-2
Hi everyone!

Over the last months we've worked on a new frontpage for mediawiki.org
which will replace the current https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
 soon (probably next week).

You can find the new version at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal

As this is the front page and highly visible, it would be great if you
could help translating it to your language!

I admit that I do not know the best practices for the translation process.
Can the proposal page already be marked for translation and can I then
easily "move" these translations, once I copy (not: move) the content
of the English version into https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki ?
Or does translation have to wait until the proposal has been moved?

In any case, thanks in advance for your help!

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/



_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Translation request] New frontpage on mediawiki.org

Sylvain Chiron
Le 29/03/2019 à 19:10, Andre Klapper a écrit :

> Hi everyone!
>
> Over the last months we've worked on a new frontpage for mediawiki.org
> which will replace the current https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
>  soon (probably next week).
>
> You can find the new version at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal
>
> As this is the front page and highly visible, it would be great if you
> could help translating it to your language!
>
> I admit that I do not know the best practices for the translation process.
> Can the proposal page already be marked for translation and can I then
> easily "move" these translations, once I copy (not: move) the content
> of the English version into https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki ?
> Or does translation have to wait until the proposal has been moved?

Considering that this:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Collaboration/Newsletter/Issues/2016/10
has been separated from this:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Collaboration/Newsletter/Issues/2016/10/fr
after the first one was renamed (and I personally don’t have the right
to fix this: renaming shows an error), you should be very careful — :).

> In any case, thanks in advance for your help!
>
> andre

--
Sylvain

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Translation request] New frontpage on mediawiki.org

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
> Le 29/03/2019 à 19:10, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > Over the last months we've worked on a new frontpage for mediawiki.org
> > which will replace the current https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
> >  soon (probably next week).
> >
> > You can find the new version at
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal
> >
> > As this is the front page and highly visible, it would be great if you
> > could help translating it to your language!
> >
> > I admit that I do not know the best practices for the translation process.
> > Can the proposal page already be marked for translation and can I then
> > easily "move" these translations, once I copy (not: move) the content
> > of the English version into https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki ?
> > Or does translation have to wait until the proposal has been moved?

Overall, this is going to be quite complicated because of how the main
page currently works on mw.o (via all the sub-templates listed at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Main_page_templates ).
IIUC, It is currently using the (ancient) manual subpage-translation
system rather than the newer <translate> extension system. I.e. You
could update https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page/users_text
fairly easily if we want to keep using this old system, but AFAICT
none of the translations of that section would have any indication
that the source had changed (beyond watchlist/RC).

If we want to keep using this old system, then I think the most
practical order to do the update in would be
1. Update https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page/styles.css so that
it contains the new structure (but using the same 5 pre-existing
content sources (intro/using/developing/admin/news).
2. Create the new content source block (help), using the same subtemplate system
3. Then update the contents of the existing content source blocks.

If instead we want to overhaul the whole thing and set it up properly
with the <translate> system, then (to answer your question) we'd need
to wait until the proposal has been copied across to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page before marking it
up, if you want to avoid page-moves.

(Sidenote: I believe the main benefit of storing the page in the
template namespace (at [[Template:Main_page]]) is that it allows the
page-specific styles to be moved out of Mediawiki:Common.css and into
Template:Main_page/styles.css, as TheDJ did for this wiki in 2017. I'm
not sure if there are other benefits.)

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 7:22 AM Sylvain Chiron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Considering that this:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Collaboration/Newsletter/Issues/2016/10
> has been separated from this:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Collaboration/Newsletter/Issues/2016/10/fr
> after the first one was renamed (and I personally don’t have the right
> to fix this: renaming shows an error), you should be very careful — :).
>

I've requested a fix for these at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Requests_for_help_from_a_sysop_or_bureaucrat#Page-moves_request_-_Global_Collaboration_newsletter
Thanks!

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Translation request] New frontpage on mediawiki.org

Andre Klapper-2
On Mon, 2019-04-01 at 20:10 -0700, Nick Wilson (Quiddity) wrote:

> > Le 29/03/2019 à 19:10, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal
> >
> Overall, this is going to be quite complicated because of how the main
> page currently works on mw.o (via all the sub-templates listed at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Main_page_templates ).
> IIUC, It is currently using the (ancient) manual subpage-translation
> system rather than the newer <translate> extension system. I.e. You
> could update
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page/users_text
> fairly easily if we want to keep using this old system, but AFAICT
> none of the translations of that section would have any indication
> that the source had changed (beyond watchlist/RC).

Thanks for explaining the history behind this and ! I was not aware of
the old manual subpage-translation system and this finally allows me to
understand why there are so many subpages!

> If we want to keep using this old system

Let's not do that.

> then I think the most practical order to do the update in would be
> 1. Update https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page and
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page/styles.css so that
> it contains the new structure (but using the same 5 pre-existing
> content sources (intro/using/developing/admin/news).
> 2. Create the new content source block (help), using the same
> subtemplate system
> 3. Then update the contents of the existing content source blocks.

Let's overhaul the whole thing please:

> If instead we want to overhaul the whole thing and set it up properly
> with the <translate> system, then (to answer your question) we'd need
> to wait until the proposal has been copied across to
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page before marking it
> up, if you want to avoid page-moves.

Alright, when I'm going to do that later this week this would mean that
we'll have a time with less translations on the front page.

> (Sidenote: I believe the main benefit of storing the page in the
> template namespace (at [[Template:Main_page]]) is that it allows the
> page-specific styles to be moved out of Mediawiki:Common.css and into
> Template:Main_page/styles.css, as TheDJ did for this wiki in 2017.
> I'm not sure if there are other benefits.)

Ah! I guess I should do that and use the Template, as there is
currently too much repetitive CSS in that page?

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/



_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l