Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Andre Klapper-2
Hi,

The new frontpage on https://www.mediawiki.org is live at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

I would be very thankful if someone could mark it for translation
(which is still a mystery to me).

And once that has happened, it would be also great if you found some
time to translate it, as it is a very visible page.

This new page uses the Translate extension, so the old subpages at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Main_page_templates
will also welcome some cleanup at some point.

For some context, this email is a follow-up to
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2019-March/004799.html

Thanks in advance!
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/



_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Pols12
Hi all!

Note that Shirayuki has marked the page for translation some hours ago,
so we can now start translating. =)

Pols12

Le 13/04/2019 à 14:56, Andre Klapper a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> The new frontpage on https://www.mediawiki.org is live at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page
>
> I would be very thankful if someone could mark it for translation
> (which is still a mystery to me).
>
> And once that has happened, it would be also great if you found some
> time to translate it, as it is a very visible page.
>
> This new page uses the Translate extension, so the old subpages at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Main_page_templates
> will also welcome some cleanup at some point.
>
> For some context, this email is a follow-up to
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2019-March/004799.html
>
> Thanks in advance!
> andre

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Andre Klapper-2
On Sun, 2019-04-14 at 20:19 +0200, Pols12 wrote:
> Note that Shirayuki has marked the page for translation some hours ago,
> so we can now start translating. =)

I must say I'm very impressed and happy how many translations there are
already after a few hours on a weekend! Thanks everybody for your work!

andre

> Le 13/04/2019 à 14:56, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> > The new frontpage on https://www.mediawiki.org is live at
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/



_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Sylvain Chiron
Hi. Clicking on the MediaWiki logo links to the English/original version
of the page, but the ‘Home’ link just below links to the localized
version. Couldn’t the logo link be fixed?

Because of this it took time to me to find how to see the page in my
language. Shouldn’t there be a <languages /> tag at the beginning of the
page (more likely on the template)?

Sincerely,

Sylvain Chiron (Frigory)

Le 15/04/2019 à 10:30, Andre Klapper a écrit :

> On Sun, 2019-04-14 at 20:19 +0200, Pols12 wrote:
>> Note that Shirayuki has marked the page for translation some hours ago,
>> so we can now start translating. =)
>
> I must say I'm very impressed and happy how many translations there are
> already after a few hours on a weekend! Thanks everybody for your work!
>
> andre
>
>> Le 13/04/2019 à 14:56, Andre Klapper a écrit :
>>> The new frontpage on https://www.mediawiki.org is live at
>>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Andre Klapper-2
On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 16:45 +0200, Sylvain Chiron wrote:
> Hi. Clicking on the MediaWiki logo links to the English/original version
> of the page, but the ‘Home’ link just below links to the localized
> version. Couldn’t the logo link be fixed?

The logo links to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki .
If you want https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/MediaWiki
 you'd need to edit https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Mainpage I
think.

> Because of this it took time to me to find how to see the page in my
> language. Shouldn’t there be a <languages /> tag at the beginning of the
> page (more likely on the template)?

It's at the bottom. (It was on the bottom in the previous version.)
If you have strong reasons to change it, feel free to bring this up on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/



_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Sylvain Chiron
Le 16/04/2019 à 17:54, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 16:45 +0200, Sylvain Chiron wrote:
>> Hi. Clicking on the MediaWiki logo links to the English/original version
>> of the page, but the ‘Home’ link just below links to the localized
>> version. Couldn’t the logo link be fixed?
>
> The logo links to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki .
> If you want https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/MediaWiki
>  you'd need to edit https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Mainpage I
> think.

Yep. Could someone who has the necessary rights do it please?

>> Because of this it took time to me to find how to see the page in my
>> language. Shouldn’t there be a <languages /> tag at the beginning of the
>> page (more likely on the template)?
>
> It's at the bottom. (It was on the bottom in the previous version.)
> If you have strong reasons to change it, feel free to bring this up on
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018

OK… Well, to my mind it might not be clear enough, but I won’t take the
responsibility to ask for another design. I’d say it would be cool
however if changing the language at the top would also try to go to
localized version of the current page.

Regards,
--
Sylvain

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Sylvain Chiron, 17/04/19 00:33:
> I’d say it would be cool
> however if changing the language at the top would also try to go to
> localized version of the current page.

That's already the case in MediaWiki.org because
$wgTranslatePageTranslationULS is true.
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Configuration#Configuration_variables>

The problem is that [[Main page]] is not a translatable page,
[[Template:Main page]] is. The easy solution is to move the template and
avoid transclusion.

Federico

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translation request for https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Main_page

Sylvain Chiron
Le 17/04/2019 à 07:13, Federico Leva (Nemo) a écrit :

> Sylvain Chiron, 17/04/19 00:33:
>> I’d say it would be cool
>> however if changing the language at the top would also try to go to
>> localized version of the current page.
>
> That's already the case in MediaWiki.org because
> $wgTranslatePageTranslationULS is true.
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Configuration#Configuration_variables>
>
> The problem is that [[Main page]] is not a translatable page,
> [[Template:Main page]] is. The easy solution is to move the template and
> avoid transclusion.

We could also make the main page translatable itself: the {{Main
page|en}} transclusion would be translatable.

Or we could have a single ‘Main page’ page, with no subpages for
translation, and use a code that includes the correct template e.g.
{{Main page|{{CURRENTLANGUAGE}}}} or {{Special:MyLanguage/Template:Main
page}}.

Please don’t be so poor when giving technical solutions — :).
--
Sylvain

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l