Translation sprint for CE insights survey starting now

Translation sprint for CE insights survey starting now

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)

Hello translators

TL;DR:

Community Engagement Insights (CE Insights) is a set of Wikimedia Communities and Contributors surveys organized by the Wikimedia Foundation to improve the alignment between the Wikimedia Foundation and the communities it serves. The surveys go out to various Wikimedia community and contributor audiences that can help capture feedback that will directly affect the work of Wikimedia Foundation teams. This project is coordinated by the Learning and Evaluation team.

Everything is listed here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Engagement_Insights/Translation#Get_started_with_translation. We have separated pages to ease translations.

There are 620 items to translate. We know that’s a lot but we have done our best to reduce the number of questions and replies since last year, and elements already translated last year have been reused if possible.

We have listed some priority languages that we know would help people to take the survey. The translation work is open, and any other languages are welcome. But please note that will need extra work for you and us, since all elements are not on Meta. If you want to translate in other languages than the ones we are focusing on, please tell us as soon as possible. This doesn’t apply to Polish and Ukrainian. Those two languages can follow the process for the prioritized languages.

If you can help, we deeply appreciate your effort. Please add your name on the list of translators. If you know that you are too few translators for a given language and you will not have time to translate, it is totally okay. :) Please just tell us so we can ask for another support.

If you have questions or doubts about an item, please ask on the list of items talk pages. We will reply as you as soon as possible.

Good luck and thank you in advance!

Benoît Evellin (Community liaison) & Edward Galvez (Evaluation Strategist (Surveys))

--
Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Community Liaison

Re: Translation sprint for CE insights survey starting now

Haytham Aly

Hi Benoît,

I am planning to translate the survey offline to Arabic. Is it possible to obtain the Excel table used for the previous survey? It will be helpful to use it as a reference during translation offline which will significantly save time.

Regards,

Haytham Abulela Aly

Freelance Translator
Creative Translation
"Creative & Confident"

Certified member of the Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia (STIBC) (EN>AR)
Arab Professional Translators' Society member (#10850)
Certified member at Egyptian Translators Association (EGYTA)
Registered at ProZ.com and LinkedIn.com
On 06/03/2018 11:39 AM, Benoît Evellin (Trizek) wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your interest, Haytham!

I'll ask Edward if it is possible to get those files (it would be CSV format).

For this year, we have exported the files to Meta to have a better translation tool than a spreadsheet (that was a feedback from last year). The plan is to import them back to Qualtrics when the translations are done.

Translate on a spreadsheet would allow a direct import to Qualtrics, but no display on Meta. You will have to synchronize with other translators, because we won't be able to import your translations to Meta.

Best,
Benoît

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 4:20 AM, Haytham Aly <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I was able to locate the web address for the Excel sheet on Google Docs and downloaded it. Thank you.
I have seen the pages on Meta. My plan is to export them for off-line translation, which will be done using a CAT tool. The Excel file will be added as a reference for good matches (75% or more) and term extraction. Once I am finished, I will copy and paste the strings one by one into these pages, since there is no import feature for translated pages. By using this CAT tool, I will be able to reuse terms and entire strings which will reduce the time required to finish the entire survey.

Regards,

On 7 March 2018 at 00:59, Benoît Evellin (Trizek) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Niklas Laxström
For reference for anyone doing offline translations:

To export for offline translation
1) On Special:Translate, click the "Export" tab (next to the search box in Vector skin)
2) Select Off-line export format and click Fetch

You will get a Gettext po file which is supported by many offline translation tools.

To import offline translations
1) Go to Special:ImportTranslations
2) Choose your translated file and click upload
3) Review the changes and click execute
4) Check your contribution history to confirm that import happened

The po file for import must be well-formed and the special X-Language-Code and X-Message-Group headers must be intact. Let me know if there are issues with this workflow.

  -Niklas

[...]

Hey Haytham

Please wait for the "official" files. I don't know which ones you have found, they may not be the right ones.

If you choose to translate on a spreadsheet, there is no need to import those translations back on Meta. We will handle the file you'll give us.

Thanks,
Benoît

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Haytham Abulela ALY <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have imported page 1, question only, responses only, and duplicates. Page 2 has cannot be imported as it contains changes that are not marked for translation. If you send me the spreadsheet, I can merge the translations in it, and also import the same on Meta if required.

On 07/03/2018 5:52 AM, Benoît Evellin (Trizek) wrote:
[...]

Hi Niklas,

As I expected, the page is limited to translation administrators only.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Haytham Aly <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Benoît,

I have imported page 1, question only, responses only, and duplicates. Page 2 has cannot be imported as it contains changes that are not marked for translation. If you send me the spreadsheet, I can merge the translations in it, and also import the same on Meta if required.

Page 2 is now marked for translation. Thank you very much for spotting that!
You can export the page now. :)

[...]

Sor the ones of you interested by adding a new language, I've updated the page with the process to translate the whole survey: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Engagement_Insights/Translation#Translations_for_other_languages

The work for main languages (ar, de, es, fr, it, ja, pl, pt-br, ru, uk, zh) has started. Don't forget to add your names on the page so that you can coordinate your efforts. :)

Thanks,
Benoît

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 8:39 PM, Benoît Evellin (Trizek) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Vira Motorko
Hi Benoit,

I'm gathering some issues, that I have with understanding the questions, here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Engagement_Insights/Translation#Clarification_needed
I will be glad if someone comments on them, thank you :)

Best,
Ата

--
Vira Motorko // Віра Моторко
Wikimedia Ukraine nonprofit organisation // ГО «Вікімедіа Україна»

If this email is about your daily job and it reaches you outside of the working hours, please, feel free to answer when it's appropriate! // Якщо це робочий лист і Ви отримали його не в робочий час, будь ласка, відповідайте, коли вважаєте за потрібне!

[...]

Hello Vera, and thank you for your help!

Edward has replied to you.

Benoît

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 5:52 PM, Vira Motorko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Benoit,

I'm gathering some issues, that I have with understanding the questions, here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Engagement_Insights/Translation#Clarification_needed
I will be glad if someone comments on them, thank you :)

Best,
Ата

--
Vira Motorko // Віра Моторко
Wikimedia Ukraine nonprofit organisation // ГО «Вікімедіа Україна»
mobile: <a href="tel:+380%2066%20774%200499" value="+380667740499" target="_blank">+380667740499 | facebook: vira.motorko | wikipedia: Ата

[...]

Re: Translation sprint for CE insights survey REFRESH

Christian
Hello Benoit

Can you refresh statistics
or provide a link to launch the refresh on demand ?

Merci.

Christian.

Re: Translation sprint for CE insights survey REFRESH

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
I'm updating manually to keep track of the changes in the page history. This allows Edward and me to check if there is a need for a boost for a given language while the term approaches.  You can update the table if you want!

The link provided by Vira will give you an immediate overview for all messages, but without details for all pages provided by the table.

Thank you for your help!
Benoît

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Vira Motorko <[hidden email]> wrote:

--
Vira Motorko // Віра Моторко
Wikimedia Ukraine nonprofit organisation // ГО «Вікімедіа Україна»
mobile: <a href="tel:+380%2066%20774%200499" value="+380667740499" target="_blank">+380667740499 | facebook: vira.motorko | wikipedia: Ата

If this email is about your daily job and it reaches you outside of the working hours, please, feel free to answer when it's appropriate! // Якщо це робочий лист і Ви отримали його не в робочий час, будь ласка, відповідайте, коли вважаєте за потрібне!

Hello Benoit

Can you refresh statistics
or provide a link to launch the refresh on demand ?

Merci.

Christian.

Re: Translation sprint for CE insights survey starting now

Niklas Laxström

As I expected, the page is limited to translation administrators only.

The Meta community can decide who and how  should get the translate-import right. Maybe someone just needs to ask.

  -Niklas

Re: Translation sprint for CE insights survey starting now

Haytham Aly

Hi Niklas (and any one interested in the discussion),

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to propose a new group of users that includes only translators, to whom the import right is given. Most translators will not be required to have translation administrator rights, but only the import right will be a good addition to them. Do you think this will be a good suggestion?

On 13/03/2018 4:46 AM, Niklas Laxström wrote:

As I expected, the page is limited to translation administrators only.

The Meta community can decide who and how  should get the translate-import right. Maybe someone just needs to ask.

  -Niklas

Re: Translation sprint for CE insights survey starting now

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Hello Haytham

I think that suggestion should be definitely considered. Maybe you should start a new email thread, just in case some people have muted that one?

Thanks,
Benoît