Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Tilman Bayer
Hi,

as many of you might be aware, the Wikimedia Foundation publishes
regular monthly reports about its work
(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Foundation_reports,
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_engineering_reports
). Translations of the entire reports do not seem feasible, but we
would like to try this with an "Highlights" excerpt consisting of
basic financial and traffic data, together with a combined selection
from the most notable activities of both the general and the technical
report about September.

Please consider helping non-English-language Wikimedia communities to
stay updated on the most important WMF activities and MediaWiki
development work of the past month, by providing a translation into
German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese or Arabic at

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011

It would be great if it were possible to send a posting announcing
completed translations on Wednesday (October 19).

Many thanks!

--
Tilman Bayer
Movement Communications

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Amir E. Aharoni
This is curious.

Is the idea to translate it to as few languages as possible and to
make it readable to as many people as possible? It's a good idea from
the practical point of view, but is the languages list based on a
calculation or just on a guess?

I don't have precise data either, but my guess would be that adding
Chinese, Russian and Indonesian would fulfill the idea better. But
again, basing it on data about the number of people who can *read*
these languages is the right thing to do.

2011/10/15 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> as many of you might be aware, the Wikimedia Foundation publishes
> regular monthly reports about its work
> (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Foundation_reports,
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_engineering_reports
> ). Translations of the entire reports do not seem feasible, but we
> would like to try this with an "Highlights" excerpt consisting of
> basic financial and traffic data, together with a combined selection
> from the most notable activities of both the general and the technical
> report about September.
>
> Please consider helping non-English-language Wikimedia communities to
> stay updated on the most important WMF activities and MediaWiki
> development work of the past month, by providing a translation into
> German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese or Arabic at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011
>
> It would be great if it were possible to send a posting announcing
> completed translations on Wednesday (October 19).
>
> Many thanks!
>
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Movement Communications
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Tilman Bayer
Hi Amir,

of course translations into other languages such as Hebrew are very
welcome too ;) But it seemed sensible to start small when it comes to
actively inviting translations for these reports.

The number of people who can read a language is indeed an important
aspect, but not the only one. The size of the corresponding Wikimedia
communities is relevant, too. And Portuguese and Arabic were included
for now because of their relation to geographical areas that are
listed as priorities in the foundation's 2010-15 strategic plan.
Indeed the text which is to be translated mentions WMF activities that
are of particular relevance to these two language communities.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is curious.
>
> Is the idea to translate it to as few languages as possible and to
> make it readable to as many people as possible? It's a good idea from
> the practical point of view, but is the languages list based on a
> calculation or just on a guess?
>
> I don't have precise data either, but my guess would be that adding
> Chinese, Russian and Indonesian would fulfill the idea better. But
> again, basing it on data about the number of people who can *read*
> these languages is the right thing to do.
>

> 2011/10/15 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as many of you might be aware, the Wikimedia Foundation publishes
>> regular monthly reports about its work
>> (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Foundation_reports,
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_engineering_reports
>> ). Translations of the entire reports do not seem feasible, but we
>> would like to try this with an "Highlights" excerpt consisting of
>> basic financial and traffic data, together with a combined selection
>> from the most notable activities of both the general and the technical
>> report about September.
>>
>> Please consider helping non-English-language Wikimedia communities to
>> stay updated on the most important WMF activities and MediaWiki
>> development work of the past month, by providing a translation into
>> German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese or Arabic at
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011
>>
>> It would be great if it were possible to send a posting announcing
>> completed translations on Wednesday (October 19).
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Tilman Bayer
>> Movement Communications
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Tilman Bayer
Movement Communications
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

George Mel
Hello, I see why we need those languages, but in my opinion, it is not a good idea to ignore Russian and Chinese languages.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is curious.
>
> Is the idea to translate it to as few languages as possible and to
> make it readable to as many people as possible? It's a good idea from
> the practical point of view, but is the languages list based on a
> calculation or just on a guess?
>
> I don't have precise data either, but my guess would be that adding
> Chinese, Russian and Indonesian would fulfill the idea better. But
> again, basing it on data about the number of people who can *read*
> these languages is the right thing to do.
>

> 2011/10/15 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as many of you might be aware, the Wikimedia Foundation publishes
>> regular monthly reports about its work
>> (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Foundation_reports,
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_engineering_reports
>> ). Translations of the entire reports do not seem feasible, but we
>> would like to try this with an "Highlights" excerpt consisting of
>> basic financial and traffic data, together with a combined selection
>> from the most notable activities of both the general and the technical
>> report about September.
>>
>> Please consider helping non-English-language Wikimedia communities to
>> stay updated on the most important WMF activities and MediaWiki
>> development work of the past month, by providing a translation into
>> German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese or Arabic at
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011
>>
>> It would be great if it were possible to send a posting announcing
>> completed translations on Wednesday (October 19).
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Tilman Bayer
>> Movement Communications
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Tilman Bayer
Movement Communications
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Amir E. Aharoni
I'm really not talking about Hebrew or smaller languages. I understand
that it's not important to translate everything into all languages,
even though it would be nice.

It's about choosing the right major languages. Most speakers of Hebrew
know some English; a Hebrew-speaking person who doesn't know English
very well will still be able to read that report in English with a bit
of motivation. This cannot be said about Russian speakers and AFAIK,
about Chinese, too. The Indonesian situation is probably different,
but it's an important second language for many millions.

2011/10/15 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Amir,
>
> of course translations into other languages such as Hebrew are very
> welcome too ;) But it seemed sensible to start small when it comes to
> actively inviting translations for these reports.
>
> The number of people who can read a language is indeed an important
> aspect, but not the only one. The size of the corresponding Wikimedia
> communities is relevant, too. And Portuguese and Arabic were included
> for now because of their relation to geographical areas that are
> listed as priorities in the foundation's 2010-15 strategic plan.
> Indeed the text which is to be translated mentions WMF activities that
> are of particular relevance to these two language communities.
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is curious.
>>
>> Is the idea to translate it to as few languages as possible and to
>> make it readable to as many people as possible? It's a good idea from
>> the practical point of view, but is the languages list based on a
>> calculation or just on a guess?
>>
>> I don't have precise data either, but my guess would be that adding
>> Chinese, Russian and Indonesian would fulfill the idea better. But
>> again, basing it on data about the number of people who can *read*
>> these languages is the right thing to do.
>>

>> 2011/10/15 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> as many of you might be aware, the Wikimedia Foundation publishes
>>> regular monthly reports about its work
>>> (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Foundation_reports,
>>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_engineering_reports
>>> ). Translations of the entire reports do not seem feasible, but we
>>> would like to try this with an "Highlights" excerpt consisting of
>>> basic financial and traffic data, together with a combined selection
>>> from the most notable activities of both the general and the technical
>>> report about September.
>>>
>>> Please consider helping non-English-language Wikimedia communities to
>>> stay updated on the most important WMF activities and MediaWiki
>>> development work of the past month, by providing a translation into
>>> German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese or Arabic at
>>>
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011
>>>
>>> It would be great if it were possible to send a posting announcing
>>> completed translations on Wednesday (October 19).
>>>
>>> Many thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tilman Bayer
>>> Movement Communications
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

> Tilman Bayer
> Movement Communications
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Emanuele Raoli
And, the traslation into italian of https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011
 don't need?

Emanuele Raoli

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:24:50 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Translators-l] Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011
>
> Hi,
>
> as many of you might be aware, the Wikimedia Foundation publishes
> regular monthly reports about its work
> (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Foundation_reports,
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_engineering_reports
> ). Translations of the entire reports do not seem feasible, but we
> would like to try this with an "Highlights" excerpt consisting of
> basic financial and traffic data, together with a combined selection
> from the most notable activities of both the general and the technical
> report about September.
>
> Please consider helping non-English-language Wikimedia communities to
> stay updated on the most important WMF activities and MediaWiki
> development work of the past month, by providing a translation into
> German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese or Arabic at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011
>
> It would be great if it were possible to send a posting announcing
> completed translations on Wednesday (October 19).
>
> Many thanks!
>
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Movement Communications
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Béria Lima-2
In my understanding, If you people want to translate to Russian, Chinese, Italian or whatever language in the world, I don't think WMF will complain ;)
_____
Béria Lima
Wikimedia Portugal
(351) 963 953 042

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a fazer.

2011/10/15 Béria Lima <[hidden email]>

> In my understanding, If you people want to translate to Russian, Chinese, Italian or whatever language in the world, I don't think WMF will complain ;)

Well, probably yes, and the same goes for Italian, but the question is
which languages should the Foundation prioritize when soliciting
translators.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Amir E. Aharoni, 15/10/2011 14:56:
> 2011/10/15 Béria Lima
>>
>> In my understanding, If you people want to translate to Russian, Chinese, Italian or whatever language in the world, I don't think WMF will complain ;)
>
> Well, probably yes, and the same goes for Italian, but the question is
> which languages should the Foundation prioritize when soliciting
> translators.

 From another age:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Transcom#Core_set_of_languages

Nemo

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Анастасия Львова

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my understanding, If you people want to translate to Russian, Chinese, Italian or whatever language in the world, I don't think WMF will complain ;
But it is very strange for people from Russia. The attitude is not surprise, but it leaves nasty feeling; it's so great for the volunteer community.

--
с уважением,
Львова Анастасия

Re: Translations (de, fr, es, ja, pt, ar) wanted for Wikimedia Foundation report Highlights, September 2011

Tilman Bayer
Thanks to everyone who helped - the translations completed so far are
announced at http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaannounce-l/2011-October/000265.html
.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm really not talking about Hebrew or smaller languages. I understand
> that it's not important to translate everything into all languages,
> even though it would be nice.
>
> It's about choosing the right major languages. Most speakers of Hebrew
> know some English; a Hebrew-speaking person who doesn't know English
> very well will still be able to read that report in English with a bit
> of motivation. This cannot be said about Russian speakers and AFAIK,
> about Chinese, too. The Indonesian situation is probably different,
> but it's an important second language for many millions.

I get the point about Hebrew speakers being (possibly) more fluent in
English on the average, but it has to be said that this kind of
argument has its limits. For example, it could also very well be made
about German speakers. However, recently there were a lot of
complaints from German Wikimedians about information not being
accessible in German (e.g.
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/vereinde-l/2011-September/subject.html#5051
).

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Emanuele Raoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And, the traslation into italian of https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Highlights,_September_2011
 don't need?
Of course the Italian version was very welcome too, I included it in
the announcement.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Анастасия Львова <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But it is very strange for people from Russia. The attitude is not surprise,
> but it leaves nasty feeling; it's so great for the volunteer community.

Apologies, there was no intention to ignore or denigrate the Russian
or Chinese communities, just the (maybe wrong) notion that this first,
experimental request for translations for the "Highlights" should not
be too ambitious. I will include both languages next time. Actually,
Russian was added as a translation request on Meta on October 17, but
no Russian speaker has taken it up yet.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Amir E. Aharoni, 15/10/2011 14:56:
..
>> Well, probably yes, and the same goes for Italian, but the question is
>> which languages should the Foundation prioritize when soliciting
>> translators.
>
>  From another age:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Transcom#Core_set_of_languages
Interesting link! See also the (partial) list of "big languages" by
the fundraiser team recently posted on this list:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/2011-August/001728.html

--
Tilman Bayer
Movement Communications