Translations on hold until further notice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Translations on hold until further notice

Greg Grossmeier-2
tl;dr: Please refrain from adding new strings that require translations
to MediaWiki and deployed extensions until further notice.

Due to changes we are making in the way our translation systems process
data we will be temporarily disabling the auto deployment of newly
translated content until further notice.  The goal of these changes will
be to improve the evaluation of content submitted to our translation
services.

This means developers should not merge new translatable strings into
MediaWiki Core nor Wikimedia deployed extensions until we re-enable the
system. This is to prevent longer term issues where local wiki admins
overwrite a string and thus prevent updates from new and improved
translations.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay in service may cause and
will alert you as soon as this maintenance is completed.

Greg Grossmeier

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Engineering] Translations on hold until further notice

Alex Monk
Since this is clearly a request to developers, I suggest posting a link to
the relevant ticket(s).

Alex

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 23:20, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tl;dr: Please refrain from adding new strings that require translations
> to MediaWiki and deployed extensions until further notice.
>
> Due to changes we are making in the way our translation systems process
> data we will be temporarily disabling the auto deployment of newly
> translated content until further notice.  The goal of these changes will
> be to improve the evaluation of content submitted to our translation
> services.
>
> This means developers should not merge new translatable strings into
> MediaWiki Core nor Wikimedia deployed extensions until we re-enable the
> system. This is to prevent longer term issues where local wiki admins
> overwrite a string and thus prevent updates from new and improved
> translations.
>
> We apologize for any inconvenience this delay in service may cause and
> will alert you as soon as this maintenance is completed.
>
> Greg Grossmeier
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |
> _______________________________________________
> Engineering mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/engineering
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translations on hold until further notice

Thiemo Kreuz
In reply to this post by Greg Grossmeier-2
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about such an issue. I can only assume it means
massive trouble for your team, Greg.

Unfortunately for me being one of the receivers of this message I must
say it does not make the slightest sense.

What happened? Is there a Phabricator ticket I can read up?

What is the issue with making further changes to any en.json file?
What trouble can a new entry in one of these files cause that you ask
everybody to stop editing them, instead of – let's say – stop the bot
that creates the corresponding entries on translatewiki.net? The
request effectively means everybody needs to stop working on UI
features. How do you plan to make sure such changes to the multiple
hundred en.json files we maintain are indeed not done any more? What
will happen if a patch gets merged by a team that relies on
translatewiki.net translations, but did not got your message, or did
not understood it? Nothing? If so, why can't we continue editing our
very own localization files, and solve the issue your team is working
on – whatever it is – independent from that?

TL;DR: What is going on?

Best
Thiemo

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

Bartosz Dziewoński
In reply to this post by Greg Grossmeier-2
As I understand, nothing terrible will happen if you add new messages to
en.json. But new translations will not be added, so any new interfaces
will be in English for everyone, which is a poor experience.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

יגאל חיטרון-2
Hi. If so, I think that the next issue of the Tech news should recommend to
fix the existing translations locally, instead of translatewiki.com.
Igal (User:IKhitron)


On Thu, Sep 27, 2018, 14:31 Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I understand, nothing terrible will happen if you add new messages to
> en.json. But new translations will not be added, so any new interfaces
> will be in English for everyone, which is a poor experience.
>
> --
> Bartosz Dziewoński
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

Mormegil
‪On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]> wrote:‬

> Hi. If so, I think that the next issue of the Tech news should recommend to
> fix the existing translations locally, instead of translatewiki.com.
>

Ermm, isn’t this _exactly_ what we want to avoid (and why the original
message was sent in the first place)? Local translations will not be
updated if neccessary, being stuck basically forever once set (and will not
be propagated to other wikis, but that is the lesser problem; once
TranslateWiki starts working again, that will be fixed, the local
translations won’t).

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

יגאל חיטרון
Sure, but *existing* messages are fixed all the time, if you want it or
not. And you should choose - fix them locally, and then make it global
after the translatewiki will return, or fix the in translatewiki, and it
will not work at all.
Igal


2018-09-27 14:47 GMT+03:00 <[hidden email]>:

> ‪On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>
> wrote:‬
>
> > Hi. If so, I think that the next issue of the Tech news should recommend
> to
> > fix the existing translations locally, instead of translatewiki.com.
> >
>
> Ermm, isn’t this _exactly_ what we want to avoid (and why the original
> message was sent in the first place)? Local translations will not be
> updated if neccessary, being stuck basically forever once set (and will not
> be propagated to other wikis, but that is the lesser problem; once
> TranslateWiki starts working again, that will be fixed, the local
> translations won’t).
>
> -- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

יגאל חיטרון
N3 Trizek just said that translatewiki will work for existing messages. I
read here they will not. What is the right answer? Thank you.
Igal


2018-09-27 15:47 GMT+03:00 יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]>:

> Sure, but *existing* messages are fixed all the time, if you want it or
> not. And you should choose - fix them locally, and then make it global
> after the translatewiki will return, or fix the in translatewiki, and it
> will not work at all.
> Igal
>
>
> 2018-09-27 14:47 GMT+03:00 <[hidden email]>:
>
>> ‪On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:‬
>>
>> > Hi. If so, I think that the next issue of the Tech news should
>> recommend to
>> > fix the existing translations locally, instead of translatewiki.com.
>> >
>>
>> Ermm, isn’t this _exactly_ what we want to avoid (and why the original
>> message was sent in the first place)? Local translations will not be
>> updated if neccessary, being stuck basically forever once set (and will
>> not
>> be propagated to other wikis, but that is the lesser problem; once
>> TranslateWiki starts working again, that will be fixed, the local
>> translations won’t).
>>
>> -- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikitech-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>>
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

bawolff
Updates from translatewiki will be put on pause. You can continue to update
translations at translatewiki, but they won't show up on Wikimedia wikis
until the current issues are sorted out.

In order to avoid things getting out of sync with translatewiki, we would
like to ask that you avoid translating things locally unless you really
need to until updates from translate wiki are turned back on.

--
Brian

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 12:49 PM, יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> N3 Trizek just said that translatewiki will work for existing messages. I
> read here they will not. What is the right answer? Thank you.
> Igal
>
>
> 2018-09-27 15:47 GMT+03:00 יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Sure, but *existing* messages are fixed all the time, if you want it or
> > not. And you should choose - fix them locally, and then make it global
> > after the translatewiki will return, or fix the in translatewiki, and it
> > will not work at all.
> > Igal
> >
> >
> > 2018-09-27 14:47 GMT+03:00 <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> ‪On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:‬
> >>
> >> > Hi. If so, I think that the next issue of the Tech news should
> >> recommend to
> >> > fix the existing translations locally, instead of translatewiki.com.
> >> >
> >>
> >> Ermm, isn’t this _exactly_ what we want to avoid (and why the original
> >> message was sent in the first place)? Local translations will not be
> >> updated if neccessary, being stuck basically forever once set (and will
> >> not
> >> be propagated to other wikis, but that is the lesser problem; once
> >> TranslateWiki starts working again, that will be fixed, the local
> >> translations won’t).
> >>
> >> -- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikitech-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> >>
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

C. Scott Ananian
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:06 AM bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Updates from translatewiki will be put on pause. You can continue to update
> translations at translatewiki, but they won't show up on Wikimedia wikis
> until the current issues are sorted out.
>
> In order to avoid things getting out of sync with translatewiki, we would
> like to ask that you avoid translating things locally unless you really
> need to until updates from translate wiki are turned back on.
>

Couldn't you also make sure to edit things in both places?  That is, make
the edit on translatewiki, then manually copy it over to your local wiki,
and expect that it will be overwritten when updates from translatewiki are
turned back on?
 --scott
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:37 AM C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Couldn't you also make sure to edit things in both places?  That is, make
> the edit on translatewiki, then manually copy it over to your local wiki,
> and expect that it will be overwritten when updates from translatewiki are
> turned back on?
>

The "expect that it will be overwritten" part isn't how it works. The local
copy will remain in effect until someone deletes it.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

יגאל חיטרון
Thank you. So, you are talking about avoiding any possibility to fix errors
in existing messages, nevermind where. I am not sure the communities will
be happy...
Igal


2018-09-27 16:44 GMT+03:00 Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:37 AM C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Couldn't you also make sure to edit things in both places?  That is, make
> > the edit on translatewiki, then manually copy it over to your local wiki,
> > and expect that it will be overwritten when updates from translatewiki
> are
> > turned back on?
> >
>
> The "expect that it will be overwritten" part isn't how it works. The local
> copy will remain in effect until someone deletes it.
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

C. Scott Ananian
In reply to this post by Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:44 AM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:37 AM C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Couldn't you also make sure to edit things in both places?  That is, make
> > the edit on translatewiki, then manually copy it over to your local wiki,
> > and expect that it will be overwritten when updates from translatewiki
> are
> > turned back on?
> >
>
> The "expect that it will be overwritten" part isn't how it works. The local
> copy will remain in effect until someone deletes it.
>

Wouldn't "delete all local overrides" (or "all local overrides added since
2018-09-27") be a reasonable step to include in migration after the "new
translatewiki" is turned back on?
 --scott
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

Krinkle
Yes, we can run my deleteEqualMessages.php again, for all wikis.

It does require byte equivalence. And in my experience that means it almost
never does what you want. People will copy it slightly differently due to
spacing or with less generic syntax (eg Wikipedia: vs Project), or someone
will edit it since then on TWN.

-- Timo

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 16:39, C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:44 AM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:37 AM C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Couldn't you also make sure to edit things in both places?  That is,
> make
> > > the edit on translatewiki, then manually copy it over to your local
> wiki,
> > > and expect that it will be overwritten when updates from translatewiki
> > are
> > > turned back on?
> > >
> >
> > The "expect that it will be overwritten" part isn't how it works. The
> local
> > copy will remain in effect until someone deletes it.
> >
>
> Wouldn't "delete all local overrides" (or "all local overrides added since
> 2018-09-27") be a reasonable step to include in migration after the "new
> translatewiki" is turned back on?
>  --scott
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
In reply to this post by C. Scott Ananian
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 11:39 AM C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wouldn't "delete all local overrides" (or "all local overrides added since
> 2018-09-27") be a reasonable step to include in migration after the "new
> translatewiki" is turned back on?
>

"Delete all local overrides" would be horrible, you'd lose all local wiki
customizations. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AAllMessages&prefix=&filter=modified&lang=en&limit=5000
for enwiki's customizations for example (although English might not be
included in the purge), or
https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spezial:MediaWiki-Systemnachrichten&prefix=&filter=modified&lang=de&limit=5000
for dewiki's.

"Added since 2018-09-27" would only be marginally better. Old overrides
wouldn't be lost, but you'd still wipe out new overrides that are intended
to actually be overrides rather than workarounds for this issue.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

C. Scott Ananian
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 11:51 AM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>
> "Added since 2018-09-27" would only be marginally better. Old overrides
> wouldn't be lost, but you'd still wipe out new overrides that are intended
> to actually be overrides rather than workarounds for this issue.
>
>
Would that be worse than turning away missing/incorrect translations for
<time period>?

Depends on how long <time period> is, I guess.  I don't think we ever got
an estimate of that?
 --scott
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Translations on hold until further notice

John Bennett
In reply to this post by Greg Grossmeier-2
Hello,

This update is to add some additional information we are now able to share
in regard to why translation updates are on hold.

The Security team and others at the Wikimedia Foundation are engaged in a
security event involving our translation services.  No Wikimedia users or
their data are currently affected. We made the decision to temporarily
disable translation updates until suitable countermeasures can be applied
and at this point reinstatement of translation updates is to be determined.
At the resolution of this event the Security team will publish a summary
blog post (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/blog/view/13/) including
additional details as appropriate.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to better
protect the community.

John Bennett

Director of Security, Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Engineering] Translations on hold until further notice

Leon Ziemba
To be clear, only MediaWiki core and extensions are put on hold -- not any
other users of translatewiki, including WMF-built applications?

~Leon

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 7:21 PM John Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This update is to add some additional information we are now able to share
> in regard to why translation updates are on hold.
>
> The Security team and others at the Wikimedia Foundation are engaged in a
> security event involving our translation services.  No Wikimedia users or
> their data are currently affected. We made the decision to temporarily
> disable translation updates until suitable countermeasures can be applied
> and at this point reinstatement of translation updates is to be determined.
> At the resolution of this event the Security team will publish a summary
> blog post (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/blog/view/13/)
> including additional details as appropriate.
>
> Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to better
> protect the community.
>
> John Bennett
>
> Director of Security, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> _______________________________________________
> Engineering mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/engineering
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

Bartosz Dziewoński
In reply to this post by Greg Grossmeier-2
Good news: l10n-bot appears to be exporting translations again. I assume
crisis has been averted.

--
Matma Rex
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Engineering] [Wikitech-ambassadors] Translations on hold until further notice

Chase Pettet
We managed to successfully get changes rolling through CI on Wednesday.
Translations are being merged but not deployed nightly, and will go out
with the normal train (next week?).  Nothing has been resolved officially
or announced because it's still tentative at this point.  Hopefully, it's
smooth sailing but we'll see.  More details to come when we know for sure
where we stand.

Best,

Chase

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Good news: l10n-bot appears to be exporting translations again. I assume
> crisis has been averted.
>
> --
> Matma Rex
> _______________________________________________
> Engineering mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/engineering
>


--
Chase Pettet
chasemp on phabricator <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/chasemp/> and
IRC
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
12