Trouble adding external link using MediaWiki:Sidebar page

Trouble adding external link using MediaWiki:Sidebar page

Patricia Barden
Hello,

I'm having trouble adding a link to the navigation bar using the
MediaWiki:Sidebar page.

The format for adding an external link is:

http://www.somelink.com |Somelink

The problem is that, in my case, the external address has a pipe
character in it:

https://www.groundspring.org/donate/index.cfm?ID=2344-0|1118-0 |Donate

So, this shows up in the nav bar as:

1118-0 |Donate

Is there a way to get MediaWiki to ignore the first pipe character?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

~Tricia

Re: Trouble adding external link using MediaWiki:Sidebar page

Jan-62
> Thanks in advance for any help

Just would create a subdomain, which redirects on your link :)

Re: Trouble adding external link using MediaWiki:Sidebar page

Brion Vibber
Patricia Barden wrote:

> I'm having trouble adding a link to the navigation bar using the
> MediaWiki:Sidebar page.
>
> The format for adding an external link is:
>
> http://www.somelink.com |Somelink
>
> The problem is that, in my case, the external address has a pipe
> character in it:
>
> https://www.groundspring.org/donate/index.cfm?ID=2344-0|1118-0 |Donate
That's not a legal URL according to the spec. You'll need to escape the '|'
character according to the rules in RFC 3986 ยง2.1 "Percent-Encoding".

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3986.html

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)