Two new papers: Analysis of the Wikipedia Category Graph & Using Wikipedia for computing Semantic Relatedness

Two new papers: Analysis of the Wikipedia Category Graph & Using Wikipedia for computing Semantic Relatedness

Torsten Zesch
We would like to announce two new papers using Wikipedia.
We hope that the results will be of use for the Wikipedia research
community.

(1)
Torsten Zesch, Iryna Gurevych (2007)
''Analysis of the Wikipedia Category Graph for NLP Applications.''
Proceedings of the TextGraphs-2 Workshop (NAACL-HLT)
http://elara.tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/publications/2007/hlt-textgraphs.pdf

In this paper, we discuss the Wikipedia category graph. We perform a
graphtheoretic analysis and show that it is a scale-free, small
world graph like other well-known lexical semantic networks.

(2)

In this paper, we show how Wikipedia can be used for computing semantic
relatedness between terms. Wikipedia outperforms classical semantic
wordnets on the task of estimating non-classical semantic relations.

Torsten Zesch, Iryna Gurevych, Max Mühlhäuser (2007)
''Comparing Wikipedia and German Wordnet by Evaluating Semantic
Relatedness on Multiple Datasets.''
Proceedings of NAACL-HLT
http://elara.tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/publications/2007/hlt-short.pdf

Best regards,
Torsten

--
Dipl.-Inf. Torsten Zesch
Doctoral Researcher

Re: Two new papers: Analysis of the Wikipedia Category Graph & Using Wikipedia for computing Semantic Relatedness

Piotr Konieczny-2
Very interesting papers! Thank you for the update!

Note to all: please remember to update
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies
with information about any new papers you are aware of.

--
Piotr Konieczny

"The problem about Wikipedia is, that it just works in reality, not in
theory."