Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Thomas Schandl-2
Hello!

I recently found your very interesting projects as I was looking for
semantically rich dumps of Wiktionary, and I wanted to tell you about my
use cases.

I work for the Semantic Web Company (we are also partners in the LOD2
project) and we have a term and phrase extractor, which we want to
improve by enriching the extraction model with their various grammatical
forms of the model's terms.

So additions we are most interested in are declinations, tenses and
synonyms for German and English.
Another use case would be to use Wiktionary data to suggest translations
of controlled terms in a thesaurus. So the available translations would
be great to have in RDF, too.

Best regards,
Thomas
--
Mag. Thomas Schandl
Consultant

Semantic Web Company GmbH
Mariahilfer Stra├če 70 / Neubaugasse 1, Top 8
A - 1070 Wien, Austria
Tel +43 1 402 12 35 - 32
Fax +43 1 402 12 35 - 22

http://www.semantic-web.at
http://blog.semantic-web.at
http://poolparty.biz



_______________________________________________
Wiktionary-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiktionary-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Jonas Brekle
Am Mittwoch, den 11.01.2012, 15:50 +0100 schrieb Thomas Schandl:

> Hello!
>
> I recently found your very interesting projects as I was looking for
> semantically rich dumps of Wiktionary, and I wanted to tell you about my
> use cases.
>
> I work for the Semantic Web Company (we are also partners in the LOD2
> project) and we have a term and phrase extractor, which we want to
> improve by enriching the extraction model with their various grammatical
> forms of the model's terms.
>
> So additions we are most interested in are declinations, tenses
hm, those are not our primary interest yet, and a problem could be that
the way grammatically derived forms are listed is not standardized,
sometimes there is a special templates used (latin, for example "manus":
{{la-decl-4th|man}} ) sometimes they are on special Pages (for example
in german wiktionary the page "winken_(Konjugation)"). most pages dont
explicity list such forms. they could be generated... it could be hard
to be complete there.
> and
> synonyms for German and English.
yes that is planned
> Another use case would be to use Wiktionary data to suggest translations
> of controlled terms in a thesaurus. So the available translations would
> be great to have in RDF, too.
that is one of our next targets.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas



_______________________________________________
Wiktionary-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiktionary-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

About this mailing list, was: Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Sebastian Hellmann
In reply to this post by Thomas Schandl-2
(I'm cross posting to [hidden email])

Hi Thomas,
interesting, that you posted on this list. It is the discussion list
list for Wiktionary in general.
I did a mail count for this list for 2011 and this is the result:
29 mails total
11 were general announcements such as the Wikimania
10 were about Wiktionary issues
8 were about information extraction of Wiktionary (Mostly caused by us
and the Wiktionary RDF Extraction announcement).

2010 looks similar.

I was wondering, if the extraction of data from Wiktionary could become
a main topic on this list.

Shall we merge communities into this list?

1. There is a DBpedia Wiktionary  to RDF list with 18 members here:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dbpedia-wiktionary

2. Then some people might join from http://linguistics.okfn.org/
http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/open-linguistics
This is a Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics and there are maybe
5-10 people there that are interested in extraction of structured data
from Wiktionary.

3. People from many approaches such as  
http://code.google.com/p/wikokit/ (does not seem to have a mailing list)
could be redirected here.

In the end all want to get structured data out  of Wiktionary. If this
would be possible, the number of Wiki editors would also increase.

What do you think? I am not sure about all ramification, but focusing
all efforts on Wiktionary-l would be nice and would benefit Wiktionary.
Sebastian





On 01/11/2012 03:50 PM, Thomas Schandl wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I recently found your very interesting projects as I was looking for
> semantically rich dumps of Wiktionary, and I wanted to tell you about my
> use cases.
>
> I work for the Semantic Web Company (we are also partners in the LOD2
> project) and we have a term and phrase extractor, which we want to
> improve by enriching the extraction model with their various grammatical
> forms of the model's terms.
>
> So additions we are most interested in are declinations, tenses and
> synonyms for German and English.
> Another use case would be to use Wiktionary data to suggest translations
> of controlled terms in a thesaurus. So the available translations would
> be great to have in RDF, too.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas


--
Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig
Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://dbpedia.org
Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann
Research Group: http://aksw.org


_______________________________________________
Wiktionary-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiktionary-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About this mailing list, was: Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Cedric De Vroey
Great idea! I'm pro. The bigger the knowledge-network, the more
opportunities.

Grtngs,
Cedric
Op 20-jan.-2012 17:00 schreef "Sebastian Hellmann" <
[hidden email]> het volgende:

> (I'm cross posting to dbpedia-wiktionary@lists.**sourceforge.net<[hidden email]>
> )
>
> Hi Thomas,
> interesting, that you posted on this list. It is the discussion list list
> for Wiktionary in general.
> I did a mail count for this list for 2011 and this is the result:
> 29 mails total
> 11 were general announcements such as the Wikimania
> 10 were about Wiktionary issues
> 8 were about information extraction of Wiktionary (Mostly caused by us and
> the Wiktionary RDF Extraction announcement).
>
> 2010 looks similar.
>
> I was wondering, if the extraction of data from Wiktionary could become a
> main topic on this list.
>
> Shall we merge communities into this list?
>
> 1. There is a DBpedia Wiktionary  to RDF list with 18 members here:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/**lists/listinfo/dbpedia-**wiktionary<https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dbpedia-wiktionary>
>
> 2. Then some people might join from http://linguistics.okfn.org/
> http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/**listinfo/open-linguistics<http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/open-linguistics>
> This is a Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics and there are maybe
> 5-10 people there that are interested in extraction of structured data from
> Wiktionary.
>
> 3. People from many approaches such as  http://code.google.com/p/**
> wikokit/ <http://code.google.com/p/wikokit/> (does not seem to have a
> mailing list) could be redirected here.
>
> In the end all want to get structured data out  of Wiktionary. If this
> would be possible, the number of Wiki editors would also increase.
>
> What do you think? I am not sure about all ramification, but focusing all
> efforts on Wiktionary-l would be nice and would benefit Wiktionary.
> Sebastian
>
>
>
>
>
> On 01/11/2012 03:50 PM, Thomas Schandl wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I recently found your very interesting projects as I was looking for
>> semantically rich dumps of Wiktionary, and I wanted to tell you about my
>> use cases.
>>
>> I work for the Semantic Web Company (we are also partners in the LOD2
>> project) and we have a term and phrase extractor, which we want to
>> improve by enriching the extraction model with their various grammatical
>> forms of the model's terms.
>>
>> So additions we are most interested in are declinations, tenses and
>> synonyms for German and English.
>> Another use case would be to use Wiktionary data to suggest translations
>> of controlled terms in a thesaurus. So the available translations would
>> be great to have in RDF, too.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas
>>
>
>
> --
> Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
> Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig
> Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://dbpedia.org
> Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-**leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann<http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann>
> Research Group: http://aksw.org
>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Wiktionary-l mailing list
> [hidden email].**org <[hidden email]>
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/wiktionary-l<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiktionary-l>
>
_______________________________________________
Wiktionary-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiktionary-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DBpedia-Wiktionary] About this mailing list, was: Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Sebastian Hellmann
In reply to this post by Sebastian Hellmann
Dear Amgine,
I am interpreting your mail like this: more structered data in wiktionary would benefit several application. This is why we should use the wiktionary-l mailing to mediate between providers of structured data and consumers such as your project .

I am rephrasing your answer because it was not directly targeting my question.

Should we tell people who are interested in structured data from wiktionary to sign up and post to the wiktionary-I mailing list, which currently has quite a low traffic ?

Sebastian

--
Sent with my mobile phone, please excuse my brevity, Sebastian

Amgine <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please be aware I am supporting a student team who are building a
wiktionary app for Android (and eventually iOS) which is intended to do
some article parsing as a WMF-supported student project. Obviously
more-structured data would be preferable for this project, such as
microformats within Wiktionary articles.

Amgine


On 12-01-20 08:00 AM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:

> (I'm cross posting to [hidden email])
>
> Hi Thomas,
> interesting, that you posted on this list. It is the discussion list
> list for Wiktionary in general.
> I did a mail count for this list for 2011 and this is the result:
> 29 mails total
> 11 were general announcements such as the Wikimania
> 10 were about Wiktionary issues
> 8 were about information extraction of Wiktionary (Mostly caused by us
> and the Wiktionary RDF Extraction announcement).
>
> 2010 looks similar.
>
> I was wondering, if the extraction of data from Wiktionary could become
> a main topic on this list.
>
> Shall we merge communities into this list?
>
> 1. There is a DBpedia Wiktionary to RDF list with 18 members here:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dbpedia-wiktionary
>
> 2. Then some people might join from http://linguistics.okfn.org/
> http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/open-linguistics
> This is a Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics and there are maybe
> 5-10 people there that are interested in extraction of structured data
> from Wiktionary.
>
> 3. People from many approaches such as
> http://code.google.com/p/wikokit/ (does not seem to have a mailing list)
> could be redirected here.
>
> In the end all want to get structured data out of Wiktionary. If this
> would be possible, the number of Wiki editors would also increase.
>
> What do you think? I am not sure about all ramification, but focusing
> all efforts on Wiktionary-l would be nice and would benefit Wiktionary.
> Sebastian
>
>
>
>
>
> On 01/11/2012 03:50 PM, Thomas Schandl wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I recently found your very interesting projects as I was looking for
>> semantically rich dumps of Wiktionary, and I wanted to tell you about my
>> use cases.
>>
>> I work for the Semantic Web Company (we are also partners in the LOD2
>> project) and we have a term and phrase extractor, which we want to
>> improve by enriching the extraction model with their various grammatical
>> forms of the model's terms.
>>
>> So additions we are most interested in are declinations, tenses and
>> synonyms for German and English.
>> Another use case would be to use Wiktionary data to suggest translations
>> of controlled terms in a thesaurus. So the available translations would
>> be great to have in RDF, too.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas

_______________________________________________
Wiktionary-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiktionary-l