UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

reedy

I’ve just ordered a stack (30) of UK sim cards for Wikimania. This is a mix of dual normal/micro sims, and also some nano sims..

They’re with giffgaff [1], and come with 5 GBP credit. If you get a £10 “goodybag” [2], it comes with 1GB mobile data and uk minutes/texts. Can get 4G on it too.

International rates are at [3]

Oh, and you can contact anyone else with a giffgaff sim for free too.

I’ll be down in London from the 5th, so if anyone wants one, come find me.

Sam

[1] http://giffgaff.com/

[2] http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

[3] http://giffgaff.com/index/international

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Nkansah Rexford

Can't wait to find you.

rexford | google.com/+Nkansahrexford | sent from smartphone

On Jul 29, 2014 3:12 PM, "Sam Reed" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve just ordered a stack (30) of UK sim cards for Wikimania. This is a mix of dual normal/micro sims, and also some nano sims..

They’re with giffgaff [1], and come with 5 GBP credit. If you get a £10 “goodybag” [2], it comes with 1GB mobile data and uk minutes/texts. Can get 4G on it too.

International rates are at [3]

Oh, and you can contact anyone else with a giffgaff sim for free too.

I’ll be down in London from the 5th, so if anyone wants one, come find me.

Sam

[1] http://giffgaff.com/

[2] http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

[3] http://giffgaff.com/index/international

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Deryck Chan

Oh no, giffgaff basically doesn't work in London! I learnt it the hard way when my family visited me last year. (I used to live in Cambridge where giffgaff is great.)

This is because giffgaff is a virtual operator over O2 and a subsidiary of O2 (think of a flag carrier airline's budget branch) so giffgaff users need to give way to O2 users in areas with many users. And in central London, it means there's little or no data bandwidth left for giffgaff.

So expect your goodybag to give you nothing but a dumbphone plan.

On 29 Jul 2014 21:12, "Sam Reed" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve just ordered a stack (30) of UK sim cards for Wikimania. This is a mix of dual normal/micro sims, and also some nano sims..

They’re with giffgaff [1], and come with 5 GBP credit. If you get a £10 “goodybag” [2], it comes with 1GB mobile data and uk minutes/texts. Can get 4G on it too.

International rates are at [3]

Oh, and you can contact anyone else with a giffgaff sim for free too.

I’ll be down in London from the 5th, so if anyone wants one, come find me.

Sam

[1] http://giffgaff.com/

[2] http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

[3] http://giffgaff.com/index/international

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Joseph Fox
Giffgaff is absolutely fine in London, I have no idea what you’re talking about! Was there three weeks last month and had no issues at all…

Joe

On 31 July 2014 at 04:33:51 pm, Deryck Chan ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Sent with Airmail

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Fabian Tompsett
Well I use Giffgaff in central London with no problems . . .

all the best

Fabian Tompsett,
Wikimania Support Team,
Wikimedia UK,
Address: 56-64 Leonard St,
Shoreditch,
London EC2A 4LT
Phone:020 7065 0991
Mobile: 07548 103787

On 31 July 2014 16:33, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nasir Khan
I went to visit London about six month ago. On that time i purchased a "Three" sim card from the airport. It was a micro sim and had nano and standard adapter. the price was about £15. I purchased that sim because it has unlimited 3G internet for 30days plus 300 min local call and 3000 local sms. But i am not sure if it is available now or not.

There was a vending machine just beside the first exit gate of terminal 4. I think from there you can choose the sim card by yourself.

--
Nasir Khan Saikat
www.nasirkhn.com

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alan Lai

Three doesn't have 2G coverage in London unlike O2 (which Giffgaff uses), so for dumbphones Giffgaff would be a better bet.

Best regards,
Alan
Sent on the road

---- Lodewijk wrote ----

[...]

Kartik Mistry

On 31-Jul-2014 6:22 pm, "Nasir Khan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I went to visit London about six month ago. On that time i purchased a "Three" sim card from the airport. It was a micro sim and had nano and standard adapter. the price was about £15. I purchased that sim because it has unlimited 3G internet for 30days plus 300 min local call and 3000 local sms. But i am not sure if it is available now or not.

This is still available. Using it right now :)

-- Kartik Mistry
Sent via Mobile.

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Andy Cruz y Corro
Thanks Nasir and Kartik for the info, will likely use this

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Kartik Mistry <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 31-Jul-2014 6:22 pm, "Nasir Khan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I went to visit London about six month ago. On that time i purchased a "Three" sim card from the airport. It was a micro sim and had nano and standard adapter. the price was about £15. I purchased that sim because it has unlimited 3G internet for 30days plus 300 min local call and 3000 local sms. But i am not sure if it is available now or not.

This is still available. Using it right now :)

-- Kartik Mistry
Sent via Mobile.

"Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre a la suma total de todo el conocimiento humano. Eso es lo que estamos haciendo."—Jimmy Wales.

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Deryck Chan

Also two things to note about giffgaff: - You can't surcharge goodybags on top of each other. (If you use up a goodybag before its expiry date, you aren't allowed to buy another one until the original expiry date. So always buy one that has more allowance than you need, except...)
- The £10 goodybag comes with 1GB of mobile data which allows tethering, but the more expensive goodybags with unlimited data disallow tethering altogether (rather than limiting your speed).

On 1 Aug 2014 01:09, "Joseph Fox" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You can however add topup money on top of the goodie bag before it expires (although obviously those prices are a bit higher in the long run).

Joe

On 29 Jul 2014 21:12, "Sam Reed" <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;reedy@wikimedia.org&#39;);" target="_blank">reedy@...> wrote:

I’ve just ordered a stack (30) of UK sim cards for Wikimania. This is a mix of dual normal/micro sims, and also some nano sims..

They’re with giffgaff [1], and come with 5 GBP credit. If you get a £10 “goodybag” [2], it comes with 1GB mobile data and uk minutes/texts. Can get 4G on it too.

International rates are at [3]

Oh, and you can contact anyone else with a giffgaff sim for free too.

I’ll be down in London from the 5th, so if anyone wants one, come find me.

Sam

[1] http://giffgaff.com/

[2] http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

[3] http://giffgaff.com/index/international

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Sent from a mobile communication device.

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Andrew Gray-3
...though over a 3G connection you're very unlikely to manage to get
through 1GB of data, even tethered, in a week :-)

Andrew.

On 1 August 2014 04:12, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also two things to note about giffgaff: - You can't surcharge goodybags on
> top of each other. (If you use up a goodybag before its expiry date, you
> aren't allowed to buy another one until the original expiry date. So always
> buy one that has more allowance than you need, except...)
> - The £10 goodybag comes with 1GB of mobile data which allows tethering, but
> the more expensive goodybags with unlimited data disallow tethering
> altogether (rather than limiting your speed).
>
> On 1 Aug 2014 01:09, "Joseph Fox" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, obviously Giffgaff isn’t going to be as good as the more expensive
>> carriers, but you really can’t beat £12 for unlimited data even if it is
>> occasionally quite slow ;)
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> On 31 July 2014 at 05:50:08 pm, Deryck Chan ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>
>> I think they were around the South Bank / London Bridge / Chinatown area
>> and had unbearably slow speed. Perhaps I'm just too pessimistic about it!
>>
>> On 31 Jul 2014 23:36, "Fabian Tompsett" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I use Giffgaff in central London with no problems . . .
>>>
>>> all the best
>>>
>>> Fabian Tompsett,
>>> Wikimania Support Team,
>>> Wikimedia UK,
>>> Address: 56-64 Leonard St,
>>> Shoreditch,
>>> London EC2A 4LT
>>> Phone:020 7065 0991
>>> Mobile: 07548 103787

>> --
>> Joseph Fox
>> Sent with Airmail

- Andrew Gray

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

David Gómez
In which airport? I'll come via Gatwick.
Would be easy to take the SIM there. An other option is to book one online [*]  but it is the problem of giving a delivery address.

[*]
http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=115

[...]

Takashi OTA
It seems that lots of Wikimedians have arrived Barbican already
(according to my Facebook timeline :-). Sam, how many SIM cards
are left now? I will arrive Barbican Wednesday evening, and if it's
'sold out' until then, I will get my SIM card at Heathrow.

Takashi

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM, David Gómez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In which airport? I'll come via Gatwick.
> Would be easy to take the SIM there. An other option is to book one online
> [*]  but it is the problem of giving a delivery address.
>

> [*]
> http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=115

>> I went to visit London about six month ago. On that time i purchased a
>> "Three" sim card from the airport. It was a micro sim and had nano and
>> standard adapter. the price was about £15. I purchased that sim because it
>> has unlimited 3G internet for 30days plus 300 min local call and 3000 local
>> sms. But i am not sure if it is available now or not.
>>
>> There was a vending machine just beside the first exit gate of terminal 4.
>> I think from there you can choose the sim card by yourself.
>>

>> --
>> Nasir Khan Saikat
>> www.nasirkhn.com
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, obviously Giffgaff isn't going to be as good as the more expensive
>>> carriers, but you really can't beat £12 for unlimited data even if it is
>>> occasionally quite slow ;)
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> On 31 July 2014 at 05:50:08 pm, Deryck Chan ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>>
>>> I think they were around the South Bank / London Bridge / Chinatown area
>>> and had unbearably slow speed. Perhaps I'm just too pessimistic about it!

>>> --
>>> Joseph Fox
>>> Sent with Airmail

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Nkansah Rexford

Sim cards, some still available?

On Aug 5, 2014 7:14 PM, "Takashi OTA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
It seems that lots of Wikimedians have arrived Barbican already
(according to my Facebook timeline :-). Sam, how many SIM cards
are left now? I will arrive Barbican Wednesday evening, and if it's
'sold out' until then, I will get my SIM card at Heathrow.

Takashi

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM, David Gómez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In which airport? I'll come via Gatwick.
> Would be easy to take the SIM there. An other option is to book one online
> [*]  but it is the problem of giving a delivery address.
>

> [*]
> http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=115

>> I went to visit London about six month ago. On that time i purchased a
>> "Three" sim card from the airport. It was a micro sim and had nano and
>> standard adapter. the price was about £15. I purchased that sim because it
>> has unlimited 3G internet for 30days plus 300 min local call and 3000 local
>> sms. But i am not sure if it is available now or not.
>>
>> There was a vending machine just beside the first exit gate of terminal 4.
>> I think from there you can choose the sim card by yourself.
>>

>> --
>> Nasir Khan Saikat
>> www.nasirkhn.com
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, obviously Giffgaff isn't going to be as good as the more expensive
>>> carriers, but you really can't beat £12 for unlimited data even if it is
>>> occasionally quite slow ;)
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> On 31 July 2014 at 05:50:08 pm, Deryck Chan ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>>
>>> I think they were around the South Bank / London Bridge / Chinatown area
>>> and had unbearably slow speed. Perhaps I'm just too pessimistic about it!

>>> --
>>> Joseph Fox
>>> Sent with Airmail

Re: UK Sim Cards for Wikimania

Joseph Fox
Yes - find Sam (ginger guy from northern England, can’t miss him)

Joe

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail