UK hospital doctors using WIkipedia sensibly

UK hospital doctors using WIkipedia sensibly

David Gerard-2
http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/04/doctors-use-but-dont-rely-totally-on-wikipedia/

"According to recent research that has been shared with Wikimedia UK,
use of Wikipedia for medical information is almost universal among a
sample of doctors. Many of them praise its accuracy, but they are
aware of its faults and that it needs to be read critically.

The investigators conducted an online survey of medical staff at two
large hospital trusts in England. Nearly all the 109 responses
included free-text comments."

- d.

Re: UK hospital doctors using WIkipedia sensibly

Fred Bauder-2
> http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/04/doctors-use-but-dont-rely-totally-on-wikipedia/
>
> "According to recent research that has been shared with Wikimedia UK,
> use of Wikipedia for medical information is almost universal among a
> sample of doctors. Many of them praise its accuracy, but they are
> aware of its faults and that it needs to be read critically.
>
> The investigators conducted an online survey of medical staff at two
> large hospital trusts in England. Nearly all the 109 responses
> included free-text comments."
>

> - d.

I think using Wikipedia in that way is an effective learning process as
you encounter new information and develop ways of evaluating it. The
doctors that edit, perhaps 5%, are the ones who benefit from doing more
reading and research. I suspect our medical articles are pretty much
written by the medical community.

Fred

Re: UK hospital doctors using WIkipedia sensibly

Charles Matthews
On 25 April 2012 13:30, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I suspect our medical articles are pretty much
> written by the medical community.

The clinical medicine WikiProject is all doctors, I believe, in
practical terms. In a talk I heard given by one of them,  it was
pretty clear that the core group of around 20 knew each other as
professionals.

Charles