URL points to localhost

Thomas Burns
I'm rebuilding a mediawiki on a host running knoppix. It used to be on
another host that crashed and burned. mediawiki worked fine before the crash
and I'm using a backup to the DB to regen the pages.

If I edit a page, when I hit save it goes to the URL
http://localhost/wiki/index.php/pagename
and it gives me an error page that says "Unable to connect
 Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.
(..yadayada.) I guess this makes sense, as local host would be the client
machine where I am browsing, not the server where mediawiki resides, right?
But why does mediawiki put localhost in the URL?

If I then change the URL manually to
http://actualDNSname/wiki/index.php/pagename,
then it successfully loads the page with edits successfully done.

I am rebuilding this system, it is possible that mysql or apache got
downgraded and that mediawiki is doesn't match any more. That is maybe this
host had mysql 4.1 or even 5 running before.

now running
mysqld  Ver 4.0.24_Debian-10 for pc-linux-gnu on i386 (Source distribution)
Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-15 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7d
MediaWiki 1.4.7

Does this ring any bells?

Re: URL points to localhost

Rob Church
On 06/04/06, Dave Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am rebuilding this system, it is possible that mysql or apache got
> downgraded and that mediawiki is doesn't match any more. That is maybe this
> host had mysql 4.1 or even 5 running before.

1. Upgrade MediaWiki as soon as possible
2. Check the value of $wgServer in LocalSettings.php is correct

Re: URL points to localhost

Thomas Burns
On 4/5/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. Upgrade MediaWiki as soon as possible

I'm afraid it is out of sync already - should I really upgrade?

>  2. Check the value of $wgServer in LocalSettings.php is correct

cat LocalSettings.php|grep wgServer

 ... nothing...

 root@0[wiki]# cat LocalSettings.php|grep localhost
 $wgDBserver         = "localhost";

So I changed that to the server's hostname, no change in my problem.

Thanks for trying!

Re: URL points to localhost

Markus Krötzsch
On Thursday 06 April 2006 07:07, Dave Burns wrote:

> On 4/5/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 1. Upgrade MediaWiki as soon as possible
>
> I'm afraid it is out of sync already - should I really upgrade?
>
> >  2. Check the value of $wgServer in LocalSettings.php is correct
>
> cat LocalSettings.php|grep wgServer
>
>  ... nothing...
>
>  root@0[wiki]# cat LocalSettings.php|grep localhost
>  $wgDBserver         = "localhost";
>
> So I changed that to the server's hostname, no change in my problem.
That is quite strange. The FAQ

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#The_index_redirects_to_localhost_or_127.0.0.1_or_just_times_out

also suggests setting $wgServer, and it worked fine for me on problematic
servers.

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe

Re: URL points to localhost

HumanCell .org
Can you ping localhost?  Can you access a url with http://localhost ?

Re: URL points to localhost

Rick DeNatale
On 4/6/06, Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 April 2006 07:07, Dave Burns wrote:
> > On 4/5/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > 1. Upgrade MediaWiki as soon as possible
> >
> > I'm afraid it is out of sync already - should I really upgrade?
> >
> > >  2. Check the value of $wgServer in LocalSettings.php is correct
> >
> > cat LocalSettings.php|grep wgServer
> >
> >  ... nothing...
> >
> >  root@0[wiki]# cat LocalSettings.php|grep localhost
> >  $wgDBserver         = "localhost";
> >
> > So I changed that to the server's hostname, no change in my problem.
>
> That is quite strange. The FAQ

Not strange at all.  $wgServer and $wgDBserver are two different
variables with different purposes.

$wgServer tells mediawiki what name to use in the host portion of the
URLs it generates to link to wiki stuff.

$wgDBServer tells mediawiki the name of the host which is running
mySql. This may or may not be the same machine which is running the
web server, hence the separate variables.

If $wgServer is not set in LocalSettings.php, the value for it which
is calculated in includes/DefaultSettings.php will be used.  It
defaults to localhost.

This is a general pattern.  Configuration variables are set in
includes/DefaultSettings.php before the code in LocalSettings.php is
executed.  This allows the default settings to be overriden in such a
way that they are easy to preserve across versions of mediawiki.  If
you don't find a variable in LocalSettings.php, look for it in
includes/DefaultSettings.php, but don't change it there, add the
statement to change it in LocalSettings.php.

He needs to set $wgServer NOT $wgDBServer.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: URL points to localhost

Markus Krötzsch
On Thursday 06 April 2006 14:31, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On 4/6/06, Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm afraid it is out of sync already - should I really upgrade?

> > > cat LocalSettings.php|grep wgServer
> > >
> > >  ... nothing...
> > >
> > >  root@0[wiki]# cat LocalSettings.php|grep localhost
> > >  $wgDBserver         = "localhost";
> > >
> > > So I changed that to the server's hostname, no change in my problem.
> >
> > That is quite strange. The FAQ
>
> Not strange at all.  $wgServer and $wgDBserver are two different
> variables with different purposes.
>
> $wgServer tells mediawiki what name to use in the host portion of the
> URLs it generates to link to wiki stuff.
>
> $wgDBServer tells mediawiki the name of the host which is running
> mySql. This may or may not be the same machine which is running the
> web server, hence the separate variables.
>
> If $wgServer is not set in LocalSettings.php, the value for it which
> is calculated in includes/DefaultSettings.php will be used.  It
> defaults to localhost.
>
> This is a general pattern.  Configuration variables are set in
> includes/DefaultSettings.php before the code in LocalSettings.php is
> executed.  This allows the default settings to be overriden in such a
> way that they are easy to preserve across versions of mediawiki.  If
> you don't find a variable in LocalSettings.php, look for it in
> includes/DefaultSettings.php, but don't change it there, add the
> statement to change it in LocalSettings.php.
>
> He needs to set $wgServer NOT $wgDBServer.
Ah, sure! I misunderstood his email and believed that he did exactly that ...
this should be it then.

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe
[hidden email]        phone +49 (0)721 608 7362
www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/     fax +49 (0)721 693  717

Re: URL points to localhost

Rob Church
On 06/04/06, Dave Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 1. Upgrade MediaWiki as soon as possible
>
> I'm afraid it is out of sync already - should I really upgrade?

You're running server software which is out of date and contains known
vulnerabilities. Whether or not to upgrade is, of course, your choice.

> >  2. Check the value of $wgServer in LocalSettings.php is correct
>
> cat LocalSettings.php|grep wgServer
>
>  ... nothing...
>
>  root@0[wiki]# cat LocalSettings.php|grep localhost
>  $wgDBserver         = "localhost";
>
> So I changed that to the server's hostname, no change in my problem.

In that case, provide a value for $wgServer; set *that* to the hostname.

Rob Church

Re: URL points to localhost

Thomas Burns
>In that case, provide a value for $wgServer; set *that* to the hostname.

I added one line to LocalSettings.php:
$wgServer         = "hostname";

Then after I restart apache & mysql and edit a page, when I save the edit I
get sent to URL:

http://hostname/wiki/hostnamehostname/wiki/index.php/name_of_edited_page

When I manually edit the URL to be
http://hostname/wiki/index.php/name_of_edited_page, it shows the edit to
have been saved. So this is not a disaster, just kinda embarrassing.

Thanks for the input!

Dave

Re: URL points to localhost

Rotem Liss
According to http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:$wgServer, $wgServer
should also include the "http".

Also, try to preview a page with the variable "{{SERVER}}" - in
Wikimedia projects, it shows things like "http://meta.wikimedia.org";
what about your wiki?

Dave Burns wrote:

>>In that case, provide a value for $wgServer; set *that* to the hostname.
>>

>I added one line to LocalSettings.php:
>$wgServer         = "hostname";
>
>Then after I restart apache & mysql and edit a page, when I save the edit I
>get sent to URL:
>
>http://hostname/wiki/hostnamehostname/wiki/index.php/name_of_edited_page
>
>When I manually edit the URL to be
>http://hostname/wiki/index.php/name_of_edited_page, it shows the edit to
>have been saved. So this is not a disaster, just kinda embarrassing.
>
>Thanks for the input!
>
>Dave

Re: URL points to localhost

Thomas Burns
On 4/6/06, Rotem Liss <[hidden email]> wrote:According to
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki

> /Help:$wgServer, $wgServer
> should also include the "http".

So I added something like:
$wgServer         = "http://hostname.domain.com";

And it works now! Yayyy!!!!

Thank you thankyou!

Also, try to preview a page with the variable "{{SERVER}}" - in
> Wikimedia projects, it shows things like "http://meta.wikimedia.org";
> what about your wiki?

How to preview a page with a variable? When I type in the URL
http://hostname.com/wiki/{{SERVER}} (with SERVER being literal) it sent me
http://hostname.com/wiki/%7B%7BSERVER%7D%7D, pretty sure this is not what
you mean, but it was my only guess.

mahalo,
Dave

Re: URL points to localhost

Rotem Liss
As for the preview - go to a page, edit it, write "{{SERVER}}" in the
contents, and preview it.

By the way, you should also add the variable $wgServerName, which should
be without the "http://" (something like "hostname.domain.com").