Umberto Eco's interview

Ilario Valdelli
Dear all,
I have checked in my in box but it seems that this mailing list has
not received this news.

The Italian project wiki@home supported by Italian chapter and the
Wikinotizie has organized an interview some months ago with Mr.Umberto
Eco who is a philosopher and literary critic known outside Italy for
the novel "The Name of the Rose".

A translation can be found here:
http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione

The reaction of the Italian network has been very positive
(http://stats.grok.se/it.n/201006/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco).

The interview is interesting because Mr.Eco is a big cultural point of
reference in the Italian environment and he is very curious of
Wikipedia's movement.

Ilario

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Przykuta
> Dear all,
> I have checked in my in box but it seems that this mailing list has
> not received this news.
>
> The Italian project wiki@home supported by Italian chapter and the
> Wikinotizie has organized an interview some months ago with Mr.Umberto
> Eco who is a philosopher and literary critic known outside Italy for
> the novel "The Name of the Rose".
>
> A translation can be found here:
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> The reaction of the Italian network has been very positive
> (http://stats.grok.se/it.n/201006/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco).

and next translation is prepared here:

http://pl.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikireporter:Wpedzich/Eco

Eco is known in science world as semiologist. Next time ask him about "disambig system" ;)

przykuta

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Ilario Valdelli, 04/08/2010 10:37:
> A translation can be found here:
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione

Yes, could someone publish it on en.news?

Przykuta, 04/08/2010 11:04:
 > Eco is known in science world as semiologist. Next time ask him about
"disambig system" ;)

There were 10 kB of suggested questions. :-p
http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinotizie:Storie_in_preparazione/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco
But actually there's a related answer: «In those cases where elements
are more disperse, instead, the total and collective categorization is
impossible.»
http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione#_11

Nemo

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Pharos-3
This is just wonderful.

Bravo, Italian Wikinews!

Thanks,
Pharos

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ilario Valdelli, 04/08/2010 10:37:
>> A translation can be found here:
>> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> Yes, could someone publish it on en.news?
>
> Przykuta, 04/08/2010 11:04:
>  > Eco is known in science world as semiologist. Next time ask him about
> "disambig system" ;)
>
> There were 10 kB of suggested questions. :-p
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinotizie:Storie_in_preparazione/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco
> But actually there's a related answer: «In those cases where elements
> are more disperse, instead, the total and collective categorization is
> impossible.»
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione#_11
>
> Nemo

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Ziko van Dijk
Congratulations also from me, and thank you also for the translation to
English! It's a lot of work. The interview provides a lot of useful thoughts
and phrases.

Kind regards
Ziko

2010/8/4 Pharos <[hidden email]>

> This is just wonderful.
>
> Bravo, Italian Wikinews!
>
> Thanks,
> Pharos
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Ilario Valdelli, 04/08/2010 10:37:
> >> A translation can be found here:
> >> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
> >
> > Yes, could someone publish it on en.news?
> >
> > Przykuta, 04/08/2010 11:04:
> >  > Eco is known in science world as semiologist. Next time ask him about
> > "disambig system" ;)
> >
> > There were 10 kB of suggested questions. :-p
> >
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinotizie:Storie_in_preparazione/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco
> > But actually there's a related answer: «In those cases where elements
> > are more disperse, instead, the total and collective categorization is
> > impossible.»
> > http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione#_11
> >
> > Nemo

Ziko van Dijk
Niederlande

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Cristian Consonni

I'm the coordinator of Wiki@Home in Wikimedia Italia.
With this project we have already managed to interview a few
notable[1] people. The questions are written collaboratively, opening
a page on the italian Wikinews[2]. Then Wikimedia Italia takes contact
with the potential interviewee and finds the reporter (usually a WMI
member).

I have also the recordings of an interview with Jimbo ... I have done
it maaaany months ago, but I really can't find the time to transcribe
it.

I am really sorry about that and, in my opinion, this is a major
problem with volunteer-driven interviews. Usually there are a lot of
questions to ask and even if the interviewer make some (arbitrary)
selection in my experience this results in long (> 1 h) interviews.
We are used to report integrally what the interviewees have said
(besides some style corrections to make the text readable), unlike
newspapers we don't have problems of space and we think the best thing
to do is to report things exactly as they have been said.
So the main effort is the transcription and the editing of the
interviews and for 1h/2h interviews this can take weeks.

I really don't know if there is a solution for this.

Cristian
CristianCantoro
Wikimedia Italia

[1] i.e. people having an article about them on (at least the Italian
version of) Wikipedia.
[2] for Mr. Eco, the page was this
http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinotizie:Storie_in_preparazione/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Pharos-3
I presume the interview with Jimbo was in English?  This would
probably be a good opportunity for collaboration with English
Wikinews...

Thanks,
Pharos

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Cristian Consonni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the coordinator of Wiki@Home in Wikimedia Italia.
> With this project we have already managed to interview a few
> notable[1] people. The questions are written collaboratively, opening
> a page on the italian Wikinews[2]. Then Wikimedia Italia takes contact
> with the potential interviewee and finds the reporter (usually a WMI
> member).
>
> I have also the recordings of an interview with Jimbo ... I have done
> it maaaany months ago, but I really can't find the time to transcribe
> it.
>
> I am really sorry about that and, in my opinion, this is a major
> problem with volunteer-driven interviews. Usually there are a lot of
> questions to ask and even if the interviewer make some (arbitrary)
> selection in my experience this results in long (> 1 h) interviews.
> We are used to report integrally what the interviewees have said
> (besides some style corrections to make the text readable), unlike
> newspapers we don't have problems of space and we think the best thing
> to do is to report things exactly as they have been said.
> So the main effort is the transcription and the editing of the
> interviews and for 1h/2h interviews this can take weeks.
>
> I really don't know if there is a solution for this.
>
> Cristian
> CristianCantoro
> Wikimedia Italia
>
> [1] i.e. people having an article about them on (at least the Italian
> version of) Wikipedia.
> [2] for Mr. Eco, the page was this
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinotizie:Storie_in_preparazione/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Nikola Smolenski-2
Дана Wednesday 04 August 2010 17:22:37 Cristian Consonni написа:

> I am really sorry about that and, in my opinion, this is a major
> problem with volunteer-driven interviews. Usually there are a lot of
> questions to ask and even if the interviewer make some (arbitrary)
> selection in my experience this results in long (> 1 h) interviews.
> We are used to report integrally what the interviewees have said
> (besides some style corrections to make the text readable), unlike
> newspapers we don't have problems of space and we think the best thing
> to do is to report things exactly as they have been said.
> So the main effort is the transcription and the editing of the
> interviews and for 1h/2h interviews this can take weeks.
>
> I really don't know if there is a solution for this.

Publish the interview in .ogg format, then if needed volunteers can transcribe
it?

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

KIZU Naoko
Great work, thanks and kudos to Italian Wikinews team!

And also thank you very much for giving us English translation kindly.
It helps spread this great interview ... many passages I have found
stimulating.

Keep up doing this, Italian Wikinewsies :)

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I have checked in my in box but it seems that this mailing list has
> not received this news.
>
> The Italian project wiki@home supported by Italian chapter and the
> Wikinotizie has organized an interview some months ago with Mr.Umberto
> Eco who is a philosopher and literary critic known outside Italy for
> the novel "The Name of the Rose".
>
> A translation can be found here:
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> The reaction of the Italian network has been very positive
> (http://stats.grok.se/it.n/201006/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco).
>
> The interview is interesting because Mr.Eco is a big cultural point of
> reference in the Italian environment and he is very curious of
> Wikipedia's movement.
>
> Ilario

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Kropotkine_113
Le mercredi 04 août 2010 à 10:37 +0200, Ilario Valdelli a écrit :

> The Italian project wiki@home supported by Italian chapter and the
> Wikinotizie has organized an interview some months ago with Mr.Umberto
> Eco who is a philosopher and literary critic known outside Italy for
> the novel "The Name of the Rose".
>
> A translation can be found here:
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> The reaction of the Italian network has been very positive
> (http://stats.grok.se/it.n/201006/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco).
>
> The interview is interesting because Mr.Eco is a big cultural point of
> reference in the Italian environment and he is very curious of
> Wikipedia's movement.
>
> Ilario

Hi all.

Eco, is a big cultural point of reference in France too and maybe in all
Europe. Congratulations Ilario and Cristian for this great job !

Kropotkine_113

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Sue Gardner-2
On 4 August 2010 01:37, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Italian project wiki@home supported by Italian chapter and the
> Wikinotizie has organized an interview some months ago with Mr.Umberto
> Eco who is a philosopher and literary critic known outside Italy for
> the novel "The Name of the Rose".
>
> A translation can be found here:
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> The reaction of the Italian network has been very positive
> (http://stats.grok.se/it.n/201006/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco).

It's a lovely interview, Ilario. Congratulations :-)

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Bishakha Datta
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > A translation can be found here:
> > http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> It's a lovely interview, Ilario. Congratulations :-)

It's very interesting - and very useful. Just forwarded it to some of my
literary friends in India, since Eco is well known here too.

Cheers
Bishakha

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

John Mark Vandenberg
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>..
> A translation can be found here:
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione

Should the English translation be on English Wikinews?

--
John Vandenberg

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Ting Chen-2
  Hello dear italian team,

that's fantastic. I read three books from Eco and everytime I am
astonished by the plentiness of his imaginations and thoughts. Reading
his thoughts about our project and about internet in total is really
interesting.

Thank you very much

Am 04.08.2010 10:37, wrote Ilario Valdelli:

> Dear all,
> I have checked in my in box but it seems that this mailing list has
> not received this news.
>
> The Italian project wiki@home supported by Italian chapter and the
> Wikinotizie has organized an interview some months ago with Mr.Umberto
> Eco who is a philosopher and literary critic known outside Italy for
> the novel "The Name of the Rose".
>
> A translation can be found here:
> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> The reaction of the Italian network has been very positive
> (http://stats.grok.se/it.n/201006/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco).
>
> The interview is interesting because Mr.Eco is a big cultural point of
> reference in the Italian environment and he is very curious of
> Wikipedia's movement.
>
> Ilario

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Aphaia, 04/08/2010 23:26:
> And also thank you very much for giving us English translation kindly.
> It helps spread this great interview ... many passages I have found
> stimulating.

Thanks to .mau. and Paginazero (in addition to Aubrey) for that.

John Vandenberg, 05/08/2010 05:32:
 > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>
wrote:
 >> ..
 >> A translation can be found here:
 >> http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
 >
 > Should the English translation be on English Wikinews?

Yes, it should; this was supposed to be a temporary work page.

Nemo

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Przykuta
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >..
> > A translation can be found here:
> > http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Intervista_a_Umberto_Eco/Traduzione
>
> Should the English translation be on English Wikinews?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

Ah, the license

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Water_cooler/proposals/archives/2010/July

przykuta

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Cristian Consonni
2010/8/4 Pharos <[hidden email]>:
> I presume the interview with Jimbo was in English?  This would
> probably be a good opportunity for collaboration with English
> Wikinews...

Absolutely.

2010/8/4 Nikola Smolenski <[hidden email]>:
> Publish the interview in .ogg format, then if needed volunteers can transcribe
> it?

Till now the interviews have usually been done with micro-cassette
recorders (you know, tape... old school :P), this is the case for
Jimbo's interview.

Secondarily, in some case we give the interviewee the possibility to
review what they have said before the final publishing.

Cristian
CristianCantoro
Wikimedia Italia

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Przykuta, 05/08/2010 08:37:
> Ah, the license
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Water_cooler/proposals/archives/2010/July

I've already replied there. It was a silly error.

Nemo

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Andrea Zanni-2
Thank you all for your compliments.
For me it was an honour to be received in Eco's house
(you can see some (bad) backstage pictures here:
http://aubreymcfato.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/intervista-a-umberto-eco-per-wmi/...
the library of Eco is really astonishing)
and WMI really supported me especially in the difficult task of translation
(.mau. and P0 did the great work).
I encourage you to fix the translation if needed,
and I announce you that the interview will probably be published in some
librarians-dedicated journals in this fall [1].

Thank you again and spread the work ;-)

Aubrey

[1] In fact, I have to admit that the interview was for me the occasion to
ask professor Eco some questions that were useful form my master thesis,
so I got a real double-win situation ;-).

2010/8/5 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>

> Przykuta, 05/08/2010 08:37:
> > Ah, the license
> >

> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Water_cooler/proposals/archives/2010/July
>
> I've already replied there. It was a silly error.
>
> Nemo

Re: Umberto Eco's interview

Nikola Smolenski-2
On 08/05/2010 09:30 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:
> 2010/8/4 Nikola Smolenski<[hidden email]>:
>> Publish the interview in .ogg format, then if needed volunteers can transcribe
>> it?
>
> Till now the interviews have usually been done with micro-cassette
> recorders (you know, tape... old school :P), this is the case for
> Jimbo's interview.

You can directly connect the recorder's headphone jack with computer's
microphone jack by a male-male TRS cable (example:
http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/6ft3stca.html ) and record the output.

> Secondarily, in some case we give the interviewee the possibility to
> review what they have said before the final publishing.

He could review the .ogg, or trusted volunteers could work in private.