Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

Gianluigi Gamba
I apologize if this ML is not the proper one for handling such cases.

Do we have any standard letter for someone using the Wikipedia logo in their site without any authorization?

A user reported this misuse (OTRS ticket #2006081710006508) at the site http://www.nafura.it/ - scroll down and the wiki-globe will appear on the left, linking to content which is not related anyway with wikipedia.

Thank you.
G. (aka Paginazero)
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

James Hare
Ack. Reminds me of Rude Kitty.

I would do a good ol' cease and desist or a DMCA takedown notice, but I'll
leave it to Brad to get angry.

On 8/18/06, Gianluigi Gamba <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I apologize if this ML is not the proper one for handling such cases.
>
> Do we have any standard letter for someone using the Wikipedia logo in
> their site without any authorization?
>
> A user reported this misuse (OTRS ticket #2006081710006508) at the site
> http://www.nafura.it/ - scroll down and the wiki-globe will appear on the
> left, linking to content which is not related anyway with wikipedia.
>
> Thank you.
> G. (aka Paginazero)
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

Michael Davis-4
In reply to this post by Gianluigi Gamba
Thanks.  I've forwarded your message to our legal group.

Michael

Gianluigi Gamba wrote:

> I apologize if this ML is not the proper one for handling such cases.
>
> Do we have any standard letter for someone using the Wikipedia logo in their site without any authorization?
>
> A user reported this misuse (OTRS ticket #2006081710006508) at the site http://www.nafura.it/ - scroll down and the wiki-globe will appear on the left, linking to content which is not related anyway with wikipedia.
>
> Thank you.
> G. (aka Paginazero)
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
>  

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

Austin Hair
On 8/18/06, Michael Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks.  I've forwarded your message to our legal group.

... which can be contacted at <[hidden email]> (see
[[m:Juriwiki-l]]).  If you're dealing with this in OTRS, though, you
should take a look at the option/select field marked "change
queue"—there's one called "legal" which is generally appropriate for
this sort of thing.

Austin
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

Delphine Ménard
On 8/19/06, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... which can be contacted at <juriwiki-lATwikimediaDOTorg> (see
> [[m:Juriwiki-l]]).  If you're dealing with this in OTRS, though, you
> should take a look at the option/select field marked "change
> queue"—there's one called "legal" which is generally appropriate for
> this sort of thing.

After all the trouble I've gone trhough to make sure that this address
did not appear in clear anywhere, because it is spam ridden.

You just blew it!

/me cries heavily

In general, please *avoid* putting any of the wikimedia addresses in
clear in *any* of the public lists. Thank you.

Delphine


--
~notafish
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

Austin Hair
On 8/19/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After all the trouble I've gone trhough to make sure that this address
> did not appear in clear anywhere, because it is spam ridden.

Believe it or not, address collectors know what
"somethingATsomethingDOTsomething" means.  Sorry for your spam woes.

Austin
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

James Hare
Yes. If you want to start getting REAL cryptic, you'll have to do it in
French:

something à something point com.

On 8/19/06, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 8/19/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > After all the trouble I've gone trhough to make sure that this address
> > did not appear in clear anywhere, because it is spam ridden.
>
> Believe it or not, address collectors know what
> "somethingATsomethingDOTsomething" means.  Sorry for your spam woes.
>
> Austin
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unauthorized usage of the Wikipedia logo

James Forrester-5
In reply to this post by Austin Hair
Austin Hair wrote:

> On 8/19/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >
> > After all the trouble I've gone trhough to make sure that this address
> > did not appear in clear anywhere, because it is spam ridden.
>
> Believe it or not, address collectors know what
> "somethingATsomethingDOTsomething" means.  Sorry for your spam woes.

In general, attempts to avoid spam going to an address that more than 5
humans have to know is laughably pointless. Spam is fixed by finding the
spammers (and, possibly, executing them), not by minor obfuscation (if
it's major obfuscation, most people won't be able to read it, which
rather violates the point).

BTW, I'm speaking with someone who gets more spam per day even than
Jimmy. (No, really, we discussed it at some point. Isn't the life of a
geek fun? :-)) Just go with it, there's nothing much that can be done.
Such is life.

Yours sincerely,
--
James D. Forrester
Wikimedia : [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]
E-Mail    : [hidden email]
IM (MSN)  : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Walter van Kalken
In reply to this post by James Hare
On the Dutch wikipedia there is a user who is constantly using my real
name in discussions instead of my wikiname. Although my real name is
widely known, I do not wish that it is used on the wiki in discussions.
One of the reasons is Google's indexing the other reason is my real name
is known only by people who have been on the wiki for a long time.

I am using my wiki alternate name for a reason. I feel that this user is
violating my privacy by constantly using my real name instead of the
name under which I edit. Is this a violation of our wiki privacy policy?

Waerth
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Walter van Kalken
In reply to this post by James Hare
On the Dutch wikipedia there is a user who is constantly using my real
name in discussions instead of my wikiname. Although my real name is
widely known, I do not wish that it is used on the wiki in discussions.
One of the reasons is Google's indexing the other reason is my real name
is known only by people who have been on the wiki for a long time.

I am using my wiki alternate name for a reason. I feel that this user is
violating my privacy by constantly using my real name instead of the
name under which I edit. Is this a violation of our wiki privacy policy?

Waerth
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

James Hare
Have you tried asking him to stop?

On 8/21/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On the Dutch wikipedia there is a user who is constantly using my real
> name in discussions instead of my wikiname. Although my real name is
> widely known, I do not wish that it is used on the wiki in discussions.
> One of the reasons is Google's indexing the other reason is my real name
> is known only by people who have been on the wiki for a long time.
>
> I am using my wiki alternate name for a reason. I feel that this user is
> violating my privacy by constantly using my real name instead of the
> name under which I edit. Is this a violation of our wiki privacy policy?
>
> Waerth
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Walter van Kalken
More than one time. But this user and me have a personal fued spanning 2
years. I am not always nice to him and he returns that. But I haven't
resorted to using his real life name in discussions.

Waerth

>Have you tried asking him to stop?
>
>On 8/21/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>On the Dutch wikipedia there is a user who is constantly using my real
>>name in discussions instead of my wikiname. Although my real name is
>>widely known, I do not wish that it is used on the wiki in discussions.
>>One of the reasons is Google's indexing the other reason is my real name
>>is known only by people who have been on the wiki for a long time.
>>
>>I am using my wiki alternate name for a reason. I feel that this user is
>>violating my privacy by constantly using my real name instead of the
>>name under which I edit. Is this a violation of our wiki privacy policy?
>>
>>Waerth
>>_______________________________________________
>>foundation-l mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>>
>>    
>>
>_______________________________________________
>foundation-l mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
>  
>

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Gerard Meijssen-3
In reply to this post by James Hare
Hoi,
Waerth has been long enough with the WMF projects not to have asked. I just
checked, he did and as could have been expected it is a well known
"gentleman" who should know better that is again at it being his "gracious"
self. Not only does he refuse the reasonable request not to name names, he
ends his diatribe with a promise to scrutinize the articles on Thailand
which is one of the centers of gravity of Waerth's activities. In my opinion
this can not be seen as anything but a deliberate provocation of Mr Muijz.

Thanks,
     GerardM

On 8/21/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Have you tried asking him to stop?
>
> On 8/21/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On the Dutch wikipedia there is a user who is constantly using my real
> > name in discussions instead of my wikiname. Although my real name is
> > widely known, I do not wish that it is used on the wiki in discussions.
> > One of the reasons is Google's indexing the other reason is my real name
> > is known only by people who have been on the wiki for a long time.
> >
> > I am using my wiki alternate name for a reason. I feel that this user is
> > violating my privacy by constantly using my real name instead of the
> > name under which I edit. Is this a violation of our wiki privacy policy?
> >
> > Waerth
> > _______________________________________________
> > foundation-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Andre Engels
2006/8/21, GerardM <[hidden email]>:
> Hoi,
> Waerth has been long enough with the WMF projects not to have asked. I just
> checked, he did and as could have been expected it is a well known
> "gentleman" who should know better that is again at it being his "gracious"
> self. Not only does he refuse the reasonable request not to name names, he
> ends his diatribe with a promise to scrutinize the articles on Thailand
> which is one of the centers of gravity of Waerth's activities. In my opinion
> this can not be seen as anything but a deliberate provocation of Mr Muijz.

A diatribe which was based on Waerth's refusal to accept any edits by
Muijz on Thailand-related articles. Who is being unreasonable here,
the user who decides to specifically try to improve the articles that
another user has made, or the user who reverts any and all edits by a
certain user to an article he has created?


--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Gerard Meijssen-3
Andre Engels wrote:

> 2006/8/21, GerardM <[hidden email]>:
>  
>> Hoi,
>> Waerth has been long enough with the WMF projects not to have asked. I just
>> checked, he did and as could have been expected it is a well known
>> "gentleman" who should know better that is again at it being his "gracious"
>> self. Not only does he refuse the reasonable request not to name names, he
>> ends his diatribe with a promise to scrutinize the articles on Thailand
>> which is one of the centers of gravity of Waerth's activities. In my opinion
>> this can not be seen as anything but a deliberate provocation of Mr Muijz.
>>    
>
> A diatribe which was based on Waerth's refusal to accept any edits by
> Muijz on Thailand-related articles. Who is being unreasonable here,
> the user who decides to specifically try to improve the articles that
> another user has made, or the user who reverts any and all edits by a
> certain user to an article he has created?
Hoi,
I am blissfully unaware of all the ins and outs of the quarrels at the
nl.wikipedia. The issue at hand is the use of names. That is what I had
a look at and frankly it was not a surprise to see Muijz as one of the
parties in this. He has his reputation and he lives up to this
reputation. The part of the discussion I read was on the use of real
names, I believe you where you say that there is a history to it. It
does not change the issue; it shows lack of civility to name names on
Wikipedia.

Thanks,
    GerardM
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Walter van Kalken
In reply to this post by Gerard Meijssen-3
Which ''was'' one of the centers of Waerths activities. Waerth has
stopped contributing since it was made impossible by Muijz and Wikix as
they deliberately provocate Waerth by deliberately making edits for
edits sake. Meanwhile accusing Waerth of not wanting to co-operate.
Anyone looking at the edits made on Thailand articles in the Dutch
wikipedia will see that Waerth co-operates in a good manner. And I think
that the people who also work on Thailand articles in the english
wikipedia like Ahoerstemeier can attest that waerth co-operates in a
fine manner.

I am getting sick and tired of people who edit for edittings sake and
who only use that as a way to provocate others. And then hold large
diatribes accusing others of refusing to co-operate. And then to be even
more provocative use someone's real name which means that someone's real
name gets slaundered all over the internet.

I am still waiting for the bloody arbcom which was promised over a year
ago on nl: but still gets frustrated.

Waerth


>Hoi,
>Waerth has been long enough with the WMF projects not to have asked. I just
>checked, he did and as could have been expected it is a well known
>"gentleman" who should know better that is again at it being his "gracious"
>self. Not only does he refuse the reasonable request not to name names, he
>ends his diatribe with a promise to scrutinize the articles on Thailand
>which is one of the centers of gravity of Waerth's activities. In my opinion
>this can not be seen as anything but a deliberate provocation of Mr Muijz.
>
>Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
>On 8/21/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>Have you tried asking him to stop?
>>
>>On 8/21/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>On the Dutch wikipedia there is a user who is constantly using my real
>>>name in discussions instead of my wikiname. Although my real name is
>>>widely known, I do not wish that it is used on the wiki in discussions.
>>>One of the reasons is Google's indexing the other reason is my real name
>>>is known only by people who have been on the wiki for a long time.
>>>
>>>I am using my wiki alternate name for a reason. I feel that this user is
>>>violating my privacy by constantly using my real name instead of the
>>>name under which I edit. Is this a violation of our wiki privacy policy?
>>>
>>>Waerth
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>foundation-l mailing list
>>>[hidden email]
>>>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>foundation-l mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>>
>>    
>>
>_______________________________________________
>foundation-l mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
>  
>

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Andre Engels
2006/8/21, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]>:
> Which ''was'' one of the centers of Waerths activities. Waerth has
> stopped contributing since it was made impossible by Muijz and Wikix as
> they deliberately provocate Waerth by deliberately making edits for
> edits sake. Meanwhile accusing Waerth of not wanting to co-operate.
> Anyone looking at the edits made on Thailand articles in the Dutch
> wikipedia will see that Waerth co-operates in a good manner. And I think
> that the people who also work on Thailand articles in the english
> wikipedia like Ahoerstemeier can attest that waerth co-operates in a
> fine manner.

Then I assume you have never told Ahoerstemeier that he should not be
editing pages on Thailand, I assume?

> I am getting sick and tired of people who edit for edittings sake and
> who only use that as a way to provocate others. And then hold large
> diatribes accusing others of refusing to co-operate.

They edit many articles, and the only time that that is considered a
provocation, is by you when they edit on Thailand. Apparently there is
not just an issue with them, there is an issue with you as well.

> And then to be even
> more provocative use someone's real name which means that someone's real
> name gets slaundered all over the internet.

Apparently it's okay when you or someone who you like does it, but if
it's someone you don't like, it's suddenly an act of vandalism that
should be punished with a block. Maybe he's done it before, and maybe
you have told him not to do so, I cannot find that, but I can find
that the connection between your nick and your real name is currently
7 or 8 times on Wikipedia, with none of them created by Wikix, but
instead by Tlc, Walter, Steinbach, Flyingbird, yourself (3 times) and
me in discussion with Verrekijker. None of these seem to have been
considered provocations by you.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Andre Engels
In reply to this post by Walter van Kalken
2006/8/21, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]>:

> I am still waiting for the bloody arbcom which was promised over a year
> ago on nl: but still gets frustrated.

Now, there I agree, but it seems that the Dutch Wikipedia is very good
at fight and namecalling, and very bad at actually making a decision.
I have stopped bringing this up, because it's probably not going to
work anyway. I'm afraid that if I bring it up now, there's a lot of
discussion on whether to do it and how it should look, then when I
wait till it has died out and make a proposal, everyone will complain
that they have not had a chance to get their say on how it will look.
At best.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Walter van Kalken
In reply to this post by Andre Engels

>>wikipedia like Ahoerstemeier can attest that waerth co-operates in a
>>fine manner.
>>    
>>
>
>Then I assume you have never told Ahoerstemeier that he should not be
>editing pages on Thailand, I assume?
>
>  
>
Why should he or you not edit? Neither of you have ever added false
information. Wikix has and Muijz has removed relevant info.

>
>They edit many articles, and the only time that that is considered a
>provocation, is by you when they edit on Thailand. Apparently there is
>not just an issue with them, there is an issue with you as well.
>
>  
>
>>And then to be even
>>more provocative use someone's real name which means that someone's real
>>name gets slaundered all over the internet.
>>    
>>
>
>Apparently it's okay when you or someone who you like does it, but if
>it's someone you don't like, it's suddenly an act of vandalism that
>should be punished with a block. Maybe he's done it before, and maybe
>you have told him not to do so, I cannot find that, but I can find
>that the connection between your nick and your real name is currently
>7 or 8 times on Wikipedia, with none of them created by Wikix, but
>instead by Tlc, Walter, Steinbach, Flyingbird, yourself (3 times) and
>me in discussion with Verrekijker. None of these seem to have been
>considered provocations by you.
>  
>
Well in that case I will have a look and remove the instances. Muijz is
not using my full name but my family name. Which means that after it is
taken up by google these accusations that Muijz makes can be pertained
to any member of my family. Which means that he is slandering them all
and adding them to a personal fight he has with me. If Muijz wants to
attack me with all kinds of insults on wikipedia he can be me guest. By
using my familyname he is insulting my whole family not just me. and
mind you there is 3 people in my family with my firstname. So adding my
first name will not solve that. And with your redenation I can publish
Muijz full name and his history anywhere as he has made a website about
himself and his very particular history. Because it is widely known and
he has told about it on wikipedia on talkpages. Just because he has done
so doesn't give me the right to do this, neither does he have the right
in a discussion between user:Waerth and user:Muijz to all of a sudden
draw my complete family in the conflict.

Waerth

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using someone's real name instead of his wikiname

Walter van Kalken
In reply to this post by Andre Engels
Andre Engels wrote:

>2006/8/21, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]>:
>
>  
>
>>I am still waiting for the bloody arbcom which was promised over a year
>>ago on nl: but still gets frustrated.
>>    
>>
>
>Now, there I agree, but it seems that the Dutch Wikipedia is very good
>at fight and namecalling, and very bad at actually making a decision.
>I have stopped bringing this up, because it's probably not going to
>work anyway. I'm afraid that if I bring it up now, there's a lot of
>discussion on whether to do it and how it should look, then when I
>wait till it has died out and make a proposal, everyone will complain
>that they have not had a chance to get their say on how it will look.
>At best.
>
>  
>
We agree on one thing.

Waerth
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
12