Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

יגאל חיטרון
Hello. There is a regression problem, that started on this week deployment.
I can see it in group 1 from yesterday evening. I do not file a phabricator
ticket, because there is no algorithm to reproduce the problem.

From time to time the API post query "mark this revision as read" does not
work. In these times, there is a reproducing algorithm:
1) Open Special:Watchlist.
2) Pick an unread revision.
3) Open the diff to last version, or the view mode of the page.
4) Expected: the revision, and the whole page, should be automatically
marked as read.
5) Refresh the Special:Watchlist.
6) Got: the revision remains bold.
7) Open API query for unread revisions, the relevant one is still there.
8) Try partagraphs 5-7 every 5 seconds.
9) In about twenty minutes the data is updated correctly.
I saw this yesterday at about 19:45 UTC, and it happens again just now.
Thank you.
Igal (User:IKhitron)

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
‪On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:29 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>
wrote:‬

> From time to time the API post query "mark this revision as read" does not
> work.

Nothing in the reproduction steps you list does such a post query.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

Roan Kattouw-2
This sounds like it could have been caused by
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/416198

‪On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>
wrote:‬

> Hello. There is a regression problem, that started on this week deployment.
> I can see it in group 1 from yesterday evening. I do not file a phabricator
> ticket, because there is no algorithm to reproduce the problem.
>
> From time to time the API post query "mark this revision as read" does not
> work. In these times, there is a reproducing algorithm:
> 1) Open Special:Watchlist.
> 2) Pick an unread revision.
> 3) Open the diff to last version, or the view mode of the page.
> 4) Expected: the revision, and the whole page, should be automatically
> marked as read.
> 5) Refresh the Special:Watchlist.
> 6) Got: the revision remains bold.
> 7) Open API query for unread revisions, the relevant one is still there.
> 8) Try partagraphs 5-7 every 5 seconds.
> 9) In about twenty minutes the data is updated correctly.
> I saw this yesterday at about 19:45 UTC, and it happens again just now.
> Thank you.
> Igal (User:IKhitron)

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

יגאל חיטרון
I ment, when you open the unread page, it is marked as read.
Igal

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 14 במרץ 2019 ב-19:37 מאת ‪Brad Jorsch (Anomie)‬‏ <‪
[hidden email]‬‏>:‬

> ‪On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:29 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>
> wrote:‬
>
> > From time to time the API post query "mark this revision as read" does
> not
> > work.
>

> Nothing in the reproduction steps you list does such a post query.
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

Željko Filipin
Hi everybody,

I'm in charge of train this week. Should this be added as a blocker?

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T206675

Thank you,

Željko

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:37 PM Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This sounds like it could have been caused by
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/416198
>
> ‪On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>
> wrote:‬
>
> > Hello. There is a regression problem, that started on this week
> deployment.
> > I can see it in group 1 from yesterday evening. I do not file a
> phabricator
> > ticket, because there is no algorithm to reproduce the problem.
> >
> > From time to time the API post query "mark this revision as read" does
> not
> > work. In these times, there is a reproducing algorithm:
> > 1) Open Special:Watchlist.
> > 2) Pick an unread revision.
> > 3) Open the diff to last version, or the view mode of the page.
> > 4) Expected: the revision, and the whole page, should be automatically
> > marked as read.
> > 5) Refresh the Special:Watchlist.
> > 6) Got: the revision remains bold.
> > 7) Open API query for unread revisions, the relevant one is still there.
> > 8) Try partagraphs 5-7 every 5 seconds.
> > 9) In about twenty minutes the data is updated correctly.
> > I saw this yesterday at about 19:45 UTC, and it happens again just now.
> > Thank you.
> > Igal (User:IKhitron)

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

יגאל חיטרון-2
It happens again now.
Igal

בתאריך יום ו׳, 15 במרץ 2019, 15:45, מאת Željko Filipin ‏<
[hidden email]>:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm in charge of train this week. Should this be added as a blocker?
>
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T206675
>
> Thank you,
>
> Željko
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:37 PM Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > This sounds like it could have been caused by
> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/416198
> >
> > ‪On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:‬
> >
> > > Hello. There is a regression problem, that started on this week
> > deployment.
> > > I can see it in group 1 from yesterday evening. I do not file a
> > phabricator
> > > ticket, because there is no algorithm to reproduce the problem.
> > >
> > > From time to time the API post query "mark this revision as read" does
> > not
> > > work. In these times, there is a reproducing algorithm:
> > > 1) Open Special:Watchlist.
> > > 2) Pick an unread revision.
> > > 3) Open the diff to last version, or the view mode of the page.
> > > 4) Expected: the revision, and the whole page, should be automatically
> > > marked as read.
> > > 5) Refresh the Special:Watchlist.
> > > 6) Got: the revision remains bold.
> > > 7) Open API query for unread revisions, the relevant one is still
> there.
> > > 8) Try partagraphs 5-7 every 5 seconds.
> > > 9) In about twenty minutes the data is updated correctly.
> > > I saw this yesterday at about 19:45 UTC, and it happens again just now.
> > > Thank you.
> > > Igal (User:IKhitron)

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

יגאל חיטרון-2
And again. Seems that it is too frequent to just ignore it. Thank you.
Igal

‫בתאריך יום א׳, 17 במרץ 2019 ב-0:42 מאת יגאל חיטרון <‪[hidden email]‬‏>:‬

> It happens again now.
> Igal
>

> בתאריך יום ו׳, 15 במרץ 2019, 15:45, מאת Željko Filipin ‏<
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'm in charge of train this week. Should this be added as a blocker?
>>
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T206675
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Željko
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:37 PM Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > This sounds like it could have been caused by
>> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/416198
>> >
>> > ‪On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <
>> [hidden email]>

>> > deployment.
>> > phabricator

>> > not
>> there.
>> now.

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

Andre Klapper-2
On Sun, 2019-03-17 at 14:43 +0200, יגאל חיטרון wrote:
> And again. Seems that it is too frequent to just ignore it.

Feel free to file a bug report with exact steps to reproduce:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

יגאל חיטרון
Great. As explained before, I did not do this, because the problem cannot
be reproduced. But if you say so, I'll do this, of course. Thanks a lot.
Igal

‫בתאריך יום א׳, 17 במרץ 2019 ב-14:52 מאת ‪Andre Klapper‬‏ <‪
[hidden email]‬‏>:‬

On Sun, 2019-03-17 at 14:53 +0200, יגאל חיטרון wrote:
> Great. As explained before, I did not do this, because the problem
> cannot be reproduced.

You yourself wrote "it's too frequent to ignore it". That means you can
reproduce it? Hopefully someone else can reproduce it to, so it's not
just a problem with your preferences. In order to check that, see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Locating_broken_scripts linked from
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug .

> But if you say so, I'll do this, of course.

It generally makes more sense to track issues in tasks than to send "it
happened again" messages to a list with hundreds of subscribers...

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

יגאל חיטרון
As I already explained, it happens every couple of hours, so you can't do
something right now to reproduce it.
Igal

‫בתאריך יום א׳, 17 במרץ 2019 ב-15:14 מאת ‪Andre Klapper‬‏ <‪
[hidden email]‬‏>:‬

> On Sun, 2019-03-17 at 14:53 +0200, יגאל חיטרון wrote:
> > Great. As explained before, I did not do this, because the problem
> > cannot be reproduced.
>
> You yourself wrote "it's too frequent to ignore it". That means you can
> reproduce it? Hopefully someone else can reproduce it to, so it's not
> just a problem with your preferences. In order to check that, see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Locating_broken_scripts linked from
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug .
>
> > But if you say so, I'll do this, of course.
>
> It generally makes more sense to track issues in tasks than to send "it
> happened again" messages to a list with hundreds of subscribers...
>
> Cheers,
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

יגאל חיטרון
Thanks to Aklapper for subscribing me on phab:T218511. I believe this
thread is closed. Thank you all.
Igal

‫בתאריך יום א׳, 17 במרץ 2019 ב-15:15 מאת יגאל חיטרון <‪
[hidden email]‬‏>:‬

> As I already explained, it happens every couple of hours, so you can't do
> something right now to reproduce it.
> Igal
>

> ‫בתאריך יום א׳, 17 במרץ 2019 ב-15:14 מאת ‪Andre Klapper‬‏ <‪
> [hidden email]‬‏>:‬
>
>> On Sun, 2019-03-17 at 14:53 +0200, יגאל חיטרון wrote:
>> > Great. As explained before, I did not do this, because the problem
>> > cannot be reproduced.
>>
>> You yourself wrote "it's too frequent to ignore it". That means you can
>> reproduce it? Hopefully someone else can reproduce it to, so it's not
>> just a problem with your preferences. In order to check that, see
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Locating_broken_scripts linked from
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug .
>>
>> > But if you say so, I'll do this, of course.
>>
>> It generally makes more sense to track issues in tasks than to send "it
>> happened again" messages to a list with hundreds of subscribers...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> andre
>> --
>> Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
>> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Unbreak now! problem in this week train Watchlist

Željko Filipin
T218511[0] (After opening a diff, entry on Special:Watchlist sometimes
stays unread (bold)) is not added as a train blocker (T206675)[1], so I
assume it's not blocking the train. Since there are no other blockers, I'll
resolve the T206675 task. If T218511 _is_ blocking the train, please reopen
T206675 and add T218511 as a blocker.

Željko
--
0: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T218511
1: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T206675

‪On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 2:21 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]>