Undefined symbol error

Thomas Cherry
I'm running a 1.6.2 mediawiki server (which I recently upgraded) and
I'm getting an error while trying to load some pages.  The pages with
problems never show up, in fact the browser window is blank.  In my
apache log I find the following line for every attempt to load the
page in question:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/php/20020429/pcre.so: Undefined
symbol "php_addslashes_ex"

I also get the same error when running refreshLinks.php

# php refreshLinks.php
Refreshing link table.
Starting from page_id 1 of 1838.
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/php/20020429/pcre.so: Undefined
symbol "php_addslashes_ex"

I'm guessing that there is some "bad" data in one or some of my
records, does anyone have an idea how I can solve this?

Re: Undefined symbol error

Brion Vibber
Thomas Cherry wrote:
> I'm running a 1.6.2 mediawiki server (which I recently upgraded) and
> I'm getting an error while trying to load some pages.  The pages with
> problems never show up, in fact the browser window is blank.  In my
> apache log I find the following line for every attempt to load the
> page in question:
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/php/20020429/pcre.so: Undefined
> symbol "php_addslashes_ex"

Your PHP installation is screwed up.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Undefined symbol error

Thomas Cherry
That stinks.  I guess I have to reinstall PHP now.  Thanks.

On Apr 13, 2006, at 3:33 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Thomas Cherry wrote:
>> I'm running a 1.6.2 mediawiki server (which I recently upgraded) and
>> I'm getting an error while trying to load some pages.  The pages with
>> problems never show up, in fact the browser window is blank.  In my
>> apache log I find the following line for every attempt to load the
>> page in question:
>>
>> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/php/20020429/pcre.so: Undefined
>> symbol "php_addslashes_ex"
>
> Your PHP installation is screwed up.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's
even remotely true. - Homer Simpson

Re: Undefined symbol error

Jan Steinman
> That stinks.  I guess I have to reinstall PHP now.  Thanks.

Or perhaps simply configure it properly?

I don't understand the urge to "reinstall" whenever something goes
wrong. Must be a Windows thing. :-)

:::: When you change the way you look at things, the things you look
at change. -- Wayne Dyer.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AO08-18>

Re: Undefined symbol error

Thomas Cherry
Not a Windows thing but close.  Ignorance and lack of patients.  Yoda
would be quite unhappy with me.  That and I always have the worst
luck when it comes to updating,  I always end up with libraries that
are out of sync with the rest of the system and having to start over
as I don't have the time to resolve a half updated system.

Actually I can add some more information to this issue.  I found that
this problem went away when I edited the page in question to not
contain links in a header:

== [[Some topic]] ==

I can recreate the issue at any time by inserting similar wiki text
into any page and hitting preview (I don't even need to save).

Now, about this configuration you speak of, how do I configure PHP?
Remember, some of us are new here (thus the need to ask redundant
questions).

On Apr 14, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:

>> That stinks.  I guess I have to reinstall PHP now.  Thanks.
>
> Or perhaps simply configure it properly?
>
> I don't understand the urge to "reinstall" whenever something goes
> wrong. Must be a Windows thing. :-)
>

> :::: When you change the way you look at things, the things you look
> at change. -- Wayne Dyer.
> :::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AO08-18>

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of
the Force. -Darth Vader, Sith Lord.

Re: Undefined symbol error

Rob Church
On 14/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now, about this configuration you speak of, how do I configure PHP?
> Remember, some of us are new here (thus the need to ask redundant
> questions).

I'm not one of those RTFM people for the most part, but I do urge you
to consult the documentation, which can be found starting at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php for Windows machines.

Rob Church

Re: Undefined symbol error

Thomas Cherry
I'm actually running on freebsd.

On Apr 14, 2006, at 2:04 PM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 14/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Now, about this configuration you speak of, how do I configure PHP?
>> Remember, some of us are new here (thus the need to ask redundant
>> questions).
>
> I'm not one of those RTFM people for the most part, but I do urge you
> to consult the documentation, which can be found starting at
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php for Windows machines.
>

> Rob Church

Oh, there's so much I don't know about astrophysics.  I wish I'd read
that book by that wheelchair guy. -Homer Simpson

Re: Undefined symbol error

Rob Church
On 14/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm actually running on freebsd.

You are? :-D

I do apologise, I seem to have misread the "Windows" comment
above...anyhow, the FreeBSD documentation is also there. Of course,
everything's so much nicer on FreeBSD... </flame>

Rob Church

Re: Undefined symbol error

Jan Steinman

On 14 Apr 06, at 11:29 , [hidden email] wrote:

> Now, about this configuration you speak of, how do I configure PHP?
> Remember, some of us are new here (thus the need to ask redundant
> questions).

I think Rob already pointed you to php.net. GREAT source of info,
wonderful on-line manual, my first stop whenever I have questions.

:::: fas-cism (fash'iz'em) n. A system of government that exercises a
dictatorship of the extreme right, typically through the merging of
state and business leadership, together with belligerent nationalism.
-- American Heritage Dictionary, 1983 (reference to "business" was
removed in later editions)
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>