Underscores / Spaces

Frederich, Eric P21322
Hello,

I just e-mailed this list with a template I created to help keep source
files and image files in sync such as a screen shot of a Visio file and
the Visio file itself.

The template contained two links
1 : [[Media:{{{1}}}]]
2 : [[:Image:{{{1}}}]]

The first one is used to download the file, and the 2nd one takes you to
the image page of the file so you can upload a new version or look at
previous versions.

This works fine when the file already exists, but when the file doesn't
exist the first link instead of downloading the file is a link to upload
the file and the 2nd link brings you to edit the page for a file that
doesn't exist.

I would like to have a 3rd link which will upload the file whether it
exists or not which is where I'm running into problems with underscores
What I have come up with so far for this is the following....

[{{fullurl:Special:Upload|wpDestFile={{{1}}}}} Upload]

The problem here is that what is contained in {{{1}}} may have spaces.
So if {{{1}}} is "Some File.ppt" then the link will be to
index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Some instead of
index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Some_File and of course the
text of the link will be File Upload instead of Upload.

I would like to know if there is a template out there that will take
some text and replace spaces with underscores so that I can do what I
want.

I would hope there is since the space / underscore conversion is done
all over the place in MediaWiki.  I just don't know where I can access
that functionality.

Thanks in advance,
~Eric

Help.

Jono Bradley
Ok Heres my problem.

I've been in contact with my hosting service and ImageMagik is installed and
as far as they can see everything should be working. I've been into the
local settings and set it so its should be on here's what LocalSettings.php
is set as at the moment:

## To enable image uploads, make sure the 'images' directory
## is writable, then set this to true:
$wgEnableUploads  = true;
$wgUseImageResize  = true;
$wgUseImageMagick                  = true;
$wgImageMagickConvertCommand = '/usr/bin/convert';

## If you want to use image uploads under safe mode,
## create the directories images/archive, images/thumb and
## images/temp, and make them all writable. Then uncomment
## this, if it's not already uncommented:
$wgHashedUploadDirectory = false;

Now they say thats completly right as far as they no. And because it isnt
working I should contact the script author. And As I dont know who that is I
thought I'd come back to you guys.

Now I go into the Gallery of New files on my wiki
(www.startrekprotection.com/wiki) as its the easiest way to check if its
working or not and for each image it cant re-size it comes up with this
error message.

Warning: shell_exec(): Cannot execute using backquotes in Safe Mode in
/home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/includes/GlobalFu
nctions.php on line 1615

Now I've been into GlobalFunctions but for the life of me can't figure out
what it is I have to do to make it work..

Anyone know how to help me?

Jono

Re: Help.

Brion Vibber
Jono Bradley wrote:
> I've been in contact with my hosting service and ImageMagik is installed and
> as far as they can see everything should be working. I've been into the
> local settings and set it so its should be on here's what LocalSettings.php
> is set as at the moment:
[snip]
> Warning: shell_exec(): Cannot execute using backquotes in Safe Mode in
> /home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/includes/GlobalFu
> nctions.php on line 1615

You won't be able to use ImageMagick unless you get PHP's "Safe Mode" turned off.

Note that while there are some very limited ways to execute programs in safe
mode (sometimes, if the moon is just right), they're broken so that the command
line is actually damaged and filenames can't be passed to the program correctly,
so it wouldn't work anyway.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Help.

Jono Bradley
Any Idea on how to do that?

Jono
> > I've been in contact with my hosting service and ImageMagik is installed
and
> > as far as they can see everything should be working. I've been into the
> > local settings and set it so its should be on here's what
LocalSettings.php
> > is set as at the moment:
> [snip]
> > Warning: shell_exec(): Cannot execute using backquotes in Safe Mode in

/home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/includes/GlobalFu
> > nctions.php on line 1615
>
> You won't be able to use ImageMagick unless you get PHP's "Safe Mode"
turned off.

> Note that while there are some very limited ways to execute programs in
safe
> mode (sometimes, if the moon is just right), they're broken so that the
command
> line is actually damaged and filenames can't be passed to the program
correctly,
> so it wouldn't work anyway.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: ImageMagick Help

wiki-4
On Saturday, 16th September 2006 at 00:25:21 (GMT +0100), Jono Bradley wrote:

>> You won't be able to use ImageMagick unless you get PHP's "Safe Mode" turned off.

> Any Idea on how to do that?

If you're on a hosted server, you must request your provider
to turn off Safe Mode. If they refuse to do so, you'll have to
switch to a different webhosting provider.

--
Yours,
Alex.

Re: ImageMagick Help

Jono Bradley
Ok I've done that And Safe Mode is now turned off and there are no error
messages at the top of the page now.

Although it doesn't actually do it I tried to thumb a pic on the main page
and where the image was ment to be it came up with this -

Error creating thumbnail: convert: unable to open image
`/home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/images/thumb/180
px-Protection_newer.jpg': No such file or directory.

Jono
> On Saturday, 16th September 2006 at 00:25:21 (GMT +0100), Jono Bradley
wrote:

> >> You won't be able to use ImageMagick unless you get PHP's "Safe Mode"
turned off.

> > Any Idea on how to do that?
>
> If you're on a hosted server, you must request your provider
> to turn off Safe Mode. If they refuse to do so, you'll have to
> switch to a different webhosting provider.
>
> --
> Yours,
> Alex.
> [processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
> (MediaWiki: 1.6.8 / PHP: 4.4.1 (cgi) / MySQL: 4.1.19-standard)
> http://vincentdepaul.sk/skola

Re: ImageMagick Help

Andrea Forte
Jono,

I just went through all this myself. You need to make sure that the
permissions on your image directories are all set so that apache can
read and write to them and that apache also has permission to use the
convert utility. If it doesn't, then it can't create the thumbnail and
you'll get a no such file error (tho you should also be getting a
permission denied error in that case)

(In case your provider is running SELinux... I also ended up running
selinux in permissive mode because everytime I uploaded a new image,
apache had no access to it... don't know how your hosting service
would feel about that, but if you set all the permissions properly and
still get the error, you might ask them about it.)

hope this helps,
Andrea

On 9/17/06, Jono Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok I've done that And Safe Mode is now turned off and there are no error
> messages at the top of the page now.
>
> Although it doesn't actually do it I tried to thumb a pic on the main page
> and where the image was ment to be it came up with this -
>
> Error creating thumbnail: convert: unable to open image
> `/home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/images/thumb/180
> px-Protection_newer.jpg': No such file or directory.
>
> Jono

You see the problem I have is this - I got to public_html then into 'Wiki'
and then into 'Images' but there is no folder named 'thumbs' to set the
permission.

Error creating thumbnail: convert: unable to open image
`/home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/images/thumb/500
px-Protection_newer.jpg': No such file or directory.

The image directory is set to permission 777 as I believe that permission
allows the uploads to commence on Wiki. So I'm assuming thats the permission
that allows apache to read and write.

All the images in the 'Image' file are 'apache' I think - as the UID and GID
on them all are 'apache'

Jono
> I just went through all this myself. You need to make sure that the
> permissions on your image directories are all set so that apache can
> read and write to them and that apache also has permission to use the
> convert utility. If it doesn't, then it can't create the thumbnail and
> you'll get a no such file error (tho you should also be getting a
> permission denied error in that case)
>
> (In case your provider is running SELinux... I also ended up running
> selinux in permissive mode because everytime I uploaded a new image,
> apache had no access to it... don't know how your hosting service
> would feel about that, but if you set all the permissions properly and
> still get the error, you might ask them about it.)
>
> hope this helps,
> Andrea
>
> On 9/17/06, Jono Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Ok I've done that And Safe Mode is now turned off and there are no error
> > messages at the top of the page now.
> >
> > Although it doesn't actually do it I tried to thumb a pic on the main
page
> > and where the image was ment to be it came up with this -
> >
> > Error creating thumbnail: convert: unable to open image

`/home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/images/thumb/180

> > px-Protection_newer.jpg': No such file or directory.
> >
> > Jono

Presumably you created the thumb directory and set the permissions
correctly when you were running in safemode? See localsettings.php:

## If you want to use image uploads under safe mode,
## create the directories images/archive, images/thumb and
## images/temp, and make them all writable. Then uncomment
## this, if it's not already uncommented:
$wgHashedUploadDirectory = false;

and I assume you've commented that line back out now that you're out
of safe mode.

I think that changing out of safe mode changes the directory structure
that mediawiki uses for images. so when you changed out of safe mode
and changed your localsettings file i think it also changed where
images are stored and where thumbnails are created...

andrea

On 9/17/06, Jono Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You see the problem I have is this - I got to public_html then into 'Wiki'
> and then into 'Images' but there is no folder named 'thumbs' to set the
> permission.
>
> Error creating thumbnail: convert: unable to open image
> `/home/Jono/domains/startrekprotection.com/public_html/wiki/images/thumb/500
> px-Protection_newer.jpg': No such file or directory.
>
> The image directory is set to permission 777 as I believe that permission
> allows the uploads to commence on Wiki. So I'm assuming thats the permission
> that allows apache to read and write.
>
> All the images in the 'Image' file are 'apache' I think - as the UID and GID
> on them all are 'apache'
>
> Jono

Ahhh.... Ermmm... I havent actually created any directories or anything.. I
wasnt sure that I had to.. And I didnt do anything to that part of the
LocalSettings.php because I didnt think I had to either...

Jono