Untagged image help

Peta Holmes
On English Wikipedia there is a list of untagged  images, it started at 38 000+, about 6000 of these have been tagged in  5 weeks; see [[Wikipedia:Untagged images]]. From the several hundred I  have tagged, 2/10 can be speedied as orphaned fair use images; 7/10  have no source and/or no license information and most likely would only  be able to be used as fair use; ~1/10 is a logo, album cover or a gfdl  image without a template. Tagging these images is a big drain on  contributors time, especially if they aren't admins.

  Technically all these images identified as untagged are speediable if  they are tagged as no license or no source, so on behalf of the  untagged images project I am looking for someone who could write a bot  to tag these all these images and notify the up loader.

  There needs to be a better mechanism to deal with the lack of copyright  information provided for images, and  the incorrect copyright  information that is being added to images as a result of the license  drop down box. Is it possible for all images uploaded to Wikipedia to  be tagged as no licence by defalut, forcing the uploader to provide  copyright information after the image is uploaded?

  --Peta

Re: Untagged image help

Jay Converse
I've always wondered why there isn't a drop-down box to allow the image
uploader to select the copyright that they think fits best and then it
auto-inserts the template when the image info page is created.  Is there a
technical reason behind this?

On 1/22/06, Peta Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On English Wikipedia there is a list of untagged  images, it started at 38
> 000+, about 6000 of these have been tagged in  5 weeks; see
> [[Wikipedia:Untagged images]]. From the several hundred I  have tagged, 2/10
> can be speedied as orphaned fair use images; 7/10  have no source and/or no
> license information and most likely would only  be able to be used as fair
> use; ~1/10 is a logo, album cover or a gfdl  image without a template.
> Tagging these images is a big drain on  contributors time, especially if
> they aren't admins.
>
>   Technically all these images identified as untagged are speediable
> if  they are tagged as no license or no source, so on behalf of
> the  untagged images project I am looking for someone who could write a
> bot  to tag these all these images and notify the up loader.
>
>   There needs to be a better mechanism to deal with the lack of
> copyright  information provided for images, and  the incorrect
> copyright  information that is being added to images as a result of the
> license  drop down box. Is it possible for all images uploaded to Wikipedia
> to  be tagged as no licence by defalut, forcing the uploader to
> provide  copyright information after the image is uploaded?
>
>   --Peta

I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.

Re: Untagged image help

Justin Cormack

On 23 Jan 2006, at 02:48, Jay Converse wrote:

> I've always wondered why there isn't a drop-down box to allow the
> image
> uploader to select the copyright that they think fits best and then it
> auto-inserts the template when the image info page is created.  Is
> there a
> technical reason behind this?

There is isnt there?

There is on commons.

Its a very long time since I uploaded an image on en.

Justinc

Re: Untagged image help

Justin Cormack

On 23 Jan 2006, at 02:02, Peta Holmes wrote:

> On English Wikipedia there is a list of untagged  images, it
> started at 38 000+, about 6000 of these have been tagged in  5
> weeks; see [[Wikipedia:Untagged images]]. From the several hundred
> I  have tagged, 2/10 can be speedied as orphaned fair use images;
> 7/10  have no source and/or no license information and most likely
> would only  be able to be used as fair use; ~1/10 is a logo, album
> cover or a gfdl  image without a template. Tagging these images is
> a big drain on  contributors time, especially if they aren't admins.
>
>   Technically all these images identified as untagged are
> speediable if  they are tagged as no license or no source, so on
> behalf of the  untagged images project I am looking for someone who
> could write a bot  to tag these all these images and notify the up
> loader.

There was one for a bit. Alas the small number of people who write
bots, and the incredible bureaucracy involved
in running them makes this hard.

>   There needs to be a better mechanism to deal with the lack of
> copyright  information provided for images, and  the incorrect
> copyright  information that is being added to images as a result of
> the license  drop down box. Is it possible for all images uploaded
> to Wikipedia to  be tagged as no licence by defalut, forcing the
> uploader to provide  copyright information after the image is
> uploaded?

Remove the norification requirement and just speedy all untagged images.

Justinc

Re: Untagged image help

Stan Shebs
Justin Cormack wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2006, at 02:02, Peta Holmes wrote:
>
>>   There needs to be a better mechanism to deal with the lack of
>> copyright  information provided for images, and  the incorrect
>> copyright  information that is being added to images as a result of
>> the license  drop down box. Is it possible for all images uploaded
>> to Wikipedia to  be tagged as no licence by defalut, forcing the
>> uploader to provide  copyright information after the image is  uploaded?
>

> Remove the norification requirement and just speedy all untagged images.

I'm inclining this way myself. Commons' shoot-on-sight policy seems
to work pretty well at keeping it clean, while on en: the images are
being uploaded faster than they are being tagged, so we're falling
behind. The untagged images worry me more than the declared fair use
ones actually, because we simply don't know what's in there.

Stan

Re: Untagged image help

Matthew Brown-5
On 1/23/06, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm inclining this way myself. Commons' shoot-on-sight policy seems
> to work pretty well at keeping it clean, while on en: the images are
> being uploaded faster than they are being tagged, so we're falling
> behind. The untagged images worry me more than the declared fair use
> ones actually, because we simply don't know what's in there.

And at least a fair use claim requires some source information, even
if the fair use claim is shaky.

How many of the untagged images are old, prior to the requirement for
image tagging?

-Matt

Re: Untagged image help

Stan Shebs
Matt Brown wrote:

>On 1/23/06, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>I'm inclining this way myself. Commons' shoot-on-sight policy seems
>>to work pretty well at keeping it clean, while on en: the images are
>>being uploaded faster than they are being tagged, so we're falling
>>behind. The untagged images worry me more than the declared fair use
>>ones actually, because we simply don't know what's in there.
>>

>And at least a fair use claim requires some source information, even
>if the fair use claim is shaky.

Some days I find that half or more of the images I look at with the
generic fair use tag are source-less - gets them a ticket on the
fast track to oblivion.

>How many of the untagged images are old, prior to the requirement for
>image tagging?

Not so many, less than 10% that I've seen - previous retroactive
image-tagging initiatives must have caught most of them. I see a
"bulge" around summer 2005, which I think is after the last big
tagging push and before uploading screen was reworded, or it could
just be clueless uploads by students on vacation.

Stan

Re: Untagged image help

Matthew Brown-5
On 1/23/06, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Matthew Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >How many of the untagged images are old, prior to the requirement for
> >image tagging?
> >
> Not so many, less than 10% that I've seen - previous retroactive
> image-tagging initiatives must have caught most of them.

Also WP was much smaller then and people were less concerned, as I
recall, with illustrating articles.

-Matt

Re: Untagged image help

Wikiacc
On 1/22/06, Jay Converse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've always wondered why there isn't a drop-down box to allow the image
> uploader to select the copyright that they think fits best and then it
> auto-inserts the template when the image info page is created.

There is.

--
~~~~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wikiacc

Re: Untagged image help

Guettarda
On 1/23/06, Wikiacc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/22/06, Jay Converse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've always wondered why there isn't a drop-down box to allow the image
> > uploader to select the copyright that they think fits best and then it
> > auto-inserts the template when the image info page is created.
>
> There is.

The problem is that it (obviously) isn't compulsary.  There would be no
untagged images if the upload only worked if you selected a tag.  That said,
we'd probably end up with spurious tags if we forced tagging...which might
lead to more problems

Ian (Guettarda)

Re: Untagged image help

Andrew Gray
On 23/01/06, Guettarda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem is that it (obviously) isn't compulsary.  There would be no
> untagged images if the upload only worked if you selected a tag.  That said,
> we'd probably end up with spurious tags if we forced tagging...which might
> lead to more problems

Force tag, have a default {{untagged}}, purge everything with this
agressively? Similar to David's article-boilerplate proposal,
really...

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Untagged image help

Wikiacc
On 1/23/06, Guettarda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/23/06, Wikiacc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/22/06, Jay Converse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I've always wondered why there isn't a drop-down box to allow the image
> > > uploader to select the copyright that they think fits best and then it
> > > auto-inserts the template when the image info page is created.
> >
> > There is.
>

> The problem is that it (obviously) isn't compulsary.  There would be no
> untagged images if the upload only worked if you selected a tag.  That said,
> we'd probably end up with spurious tags if we forced tagging...which might
> lead to more problems

Quite. When the selector was introduced, quite a few uploaders were
"license roulette"-ing and tagging obviously copyrighted images as
anything they could find, usually tags like GPL and
CopyrightedFreeUse.

--
~~~~

On 1/23/06, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/01/06, Guettarda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that it (obviously) isn't compulsary.  There would be no
> > untagged images if the upload only worked if you selected a tag.  That
> said,
> > we'd probably end up with spurious tags if we forced tagging...which
> might
> > lead to more problems
>
> Force tag, have a default {{untagged}}, purge everything with this
> agressively? Similar to David's article-boilerplate proposal,
> really...

That's a really good idea.  Terribly simple.

Ian

Re: Untagged image help

Mark Wagner-2
On 1/23/06, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/01/06, Guettarda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that it (obviously) isn't compulsary.  There would be no
> > untagged images if the upload only worked if you selected a tag.  That said,
> > we'd probably end up with spurious tags if we forced tagging...which might
> > lead to more problems
>
> Force tag, have a default {{untagged}}, purge everything with this
> agressively? Similar to David's article-boilerplate proposal,
> really...

That would certainly make it easier for me to use OrphanBot to speed
up the removal process. --~~~~

Re: Untagged image help

Sherool
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:44:33 +0100, Guettarda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/23/06, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 23/01/06, Guettarda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > The problem is that it (obviously) isn't compulsary.  There would be
>> no
>> > untagged images if the upload only worked if you selected a tag.  That
>> said,
>> > we'd probably end up with spurious tags if we forced tagging...which
>> might
>> > lead to more problems
>>
>> Force tag, have a default {{untagged}}, purge everything with this
>> agressively? Similar to David's article-boilerplate proposal,
>> really...
>>

> That's a really good idea.  Terribly simple.

Yeah, might be an idea to add a seperate required "source" field though.
Unfortunately some people seem to have gotten the impression that as long
as they don't use a "fair use" tag, source is optional. If not then at
least make it impossible to upload an image with a blank "summary" field.
Easy enough to bypass, but at least people can't claim they didn't know it
was required when they come to complain about the image getting deleted.

Another idea, one that would require a lot more developer work than the
above, but possebly save countless maintainance hours down the line is
this:

Make a "upload wizard" type system, one that will walk first time
uploaders though a multi step process and explain everyting carefully in
bite sized chunks across multiple different pages starting with "choose
the right format", moving on to "pick a good descriptive file name", then
"spesify who the copyright holder is and where you got the image" then
give a crash course in copyright law (you know the basics, stuff like
"publicaly available is not the same as public domain", all rights
reserved is the default if nothing is spesified, and "you can't claim
copyright to a copy you made of a copyrighted work", explaining the
difference between free and unfree licenses etc) and force the user to
check a "I understand" box, to move on to the license selection before
finaly allowing them to upload the image. After completing the toturial a
couple of times the user would "graduate" and get the to the normal "all
in one" upload form.

--
[[User:Sherool]]