Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

Death Phoenix
Hi folks, apologies in advance if double-posting to here an [[WP:AN]] is
bad, but the following is an email sent by Sam Vaknin, an individual who has
had some problems with Wikipedia in the past, to members of some of his
mailing lists. The general gist is that he's asking his members to edit
[[List of further reading on narcissism and narcissistic personality
disorder]], [[Narcissism (psychology)]], and [[Narcissistic personality
disorder]]. Of course, some edits will be good, but I think the three
articles will see an increase in the number of edits in the next little
while, and hence, some higher scrutiny will be beneficial. I posted a
chopped-down version to [[WP:AN]], but the following is the full version,
minus the usual mailing list footers.

---
Dear members,

Many of you wrote to me to ask why there is no "Sam Vaknin" entry in the
Wikipedia (there is an entry for the late and great Tim Field and entries
for many other online personalities).

Once, there was a "Sam Vaknin" entry on the Wikipedia.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia entries, so my entry was hijacked by trolls and
flamers and consequently, it contained slander and libel.

I had to write many letters to James Wales and to the legal advisor of the
Wikipedia (including repeated threats of litigation) to get the entry
deleted.

Please do NOT initiate a new entry, as some of you suggested. I do NOT want
to be the subject an entry in the Wikipedia.

My deleted entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sam_Vaknin&action=edit

My views about the Wikipedia:

http://samvak.tripod.master.com/texis/master/search/?q=Wikipedia

BUT

There is something you can do.

The Wikipedia entries for Narcissism (Psychology) and Narcissistic
Personality Disorder are laughable and contain numerous inaccuracies, urban
legends and utter nonsense.

Some parts of the entries are borrowed verbatim from my work (without
attribution or credit, without my permission, and despite numerous protests
and notices of copyright infringement issued by my publisher). But about 60%
of the text require urgent revisions or outright deletion.

Anyone can edit the entries. All you have to do is click on the edit button
in the upper navigation bar of the article. You can change the text, add
external links, add references to literature, citations, and anything else
you deem relevant. I encourage to give it a try.

Click on these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_further_reading_on_narcissism_and_narcissistic_personality_disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_%28psychology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Have a great year!

Sam Vaknin

Re: Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

James Hare
James Wales *shudder*

In any case, if -he- gets his article deleted because he petitioned Jimmy
Wales to, then why can't we apply this consistantly?

(You know who I'm talking about.)

On 1/3/07, Deathphoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> and notices of copyright infringement issued by my publisher). But about
> 60%
> of the text require urgent revisions or outright deletion.
>
> Anyone can edit the entries. All you have to do is click on the edit
> button
> in the upper navigation bar of the article. You can change the text, add
> external links, add references to literature, citations, and anything else
> you deem relevant. I encourage to give it a try.
>
> Click on these links:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_further_reading_on_narcissism_and_narcissistic_personality_disorder
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_%28psychology%29
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
>
> Have a great year!
>
> Sam Vaknin

Re: Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

hahaha... perhaps because he asked nicely? Well, that is a question for
James Wales and the Wikimedia Foundation.

On 1/3/07, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > 60%
> > of the text require urgent revisions or outright deletion.
> >
> > Anyone can edit the entries. All you have to do is click on the edit
> > button
> > in the upper navigation bar of the article. You can change the text, add
> > external links, add references to literature, citations, and anything
> else
> > you deem relevant. I encourage to give it a try.
> >
> > Click on these links:
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_further_reading_on_narcissism_and_narcissistic_personality_disorder
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_%28psychology%29
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
> >
> > Have a great year!
> >
> > Sam Vaknin

Re: Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

Parker Peters
Actually, no.

This is something that leaves the Wikipedia/Media foundation with some
serious legal problems, if one person's managed to get their bio deleted and
another person's having that prevented (I'm pretty sure I know who Mr. Hare
is referring to, too).

Parker

> [...]

> > > 60%
> > > of the text require urgent revisions or outright deletion.
> > >
> > > Anyone can edit the entries. All you have to do is click on the edit
> > > button
> > > in the upper navigation bar of the article. You can change the text,
> add
> > > external links, add references to literature, citations, and anything
> > else
> > > you deem relevant. I encourage to give it a try.
> > >
> > > Click on these links:
> > >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_further_reading_on_narcissism_and_narcissistic_personality_disorder
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_%28psychology%29
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
> > >
> > > Have a great year!
> > >
> > > Sam Vaknin

Re: Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

Andrew Gray
On 03/01/07, Parker Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, no.
>
> This is something that leaves the Wikipedia/Media foundation with some
> serious legal problems, if one person's managed to get their bio deleted and
> another person's having that prevented (I'm pretty sure I know who Mr. Hare
> is referring to, too).

"Serious legal problems" cannot be fantasised into existence; we are
under no legal bound to host someone's article or delete someone
else's on request. We are not a court system or a legal system, bound
by our own precedent; we're a private community with mutable community
rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sam_Vaknin
looks like an unambiguous delete decision to me by the community. We
did it consistent with our own rules.

And weren't you making a big song and dance about leaving three months ago?

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

James Hare
Wait. Disregard my question. Turns up there's no inconsistence -- it's that
the guy I was thinking of actually has a darn good article.

On 1/3/07, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/01/07, Parker Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Actually, no.
> >
> > This is something that leaves the Wikipedia/Media foundation with some
> > serious legal problems, if one person's managed to get their bio deleted
> and
> > another person's having that prevented (I'm pretty sure I know who Mr.
> Hare
> > is referring to, too).
>
> "Serious legal problems" cannot be fantasised into existence; we are
> under no legal bound to host someone's article or delete someone
> else's on request. We are not a court system or a legal system, bound
> by our own precedent; we're a private community with mutable community
> rules.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sam_Vaknin
> looks like an unambiguous delete decision to me by the community. We
> did it consistent with our own rules.
>
> And weren't you making a big song and dance about leaving three months
> ago?
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

Re: Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

Death Phoenix
Yes, the quality of that article is a lot better than this one before it was
deleted.