Update: Upload to Commons Android app

Paul Laan
Hi,

I think this is good news, but it also makes me wonder the following:

We saw it happen a couple of times the last months, now the app is in
official WMF hands how long will it take before they kick the volunteers
out, and let the WMF devs work on it?

I would rather have seen this volunteer (and other) volunteer projects in
the hands of volunteers. Every year the WMF asks for more money, and take
away more and more things the volunteers used to run for free.

I would rather see things moved to volunteers instead of the other way
arround.

Paul Vlaan

Re: Update: Upload to Commons Android app

Magnus Manske-2
Hi,

speaking as a volunteer programmer, I would love to see the WMF take up
more important services. For example, the Wikidata Query Service all but
replaced my WDQ, and I am glad it did! Volunteers aren't on call 24/7 in
case of some major bug/vulnerability, they tend to do what they like
instead of what's required, code discipline can be low (mea culpa), and so
on.

And yes, with everyone moving to mobile (including the "global south"), and
mobile cameras getting better all the time, an app for mobile file uploads
definitely qualifies as important in my book.

Cheers,
Magnus

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 6:05 AM Paul Laan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is good news, but it also makes me wonder the following:
>
> We saw it happen a couple of times the last months, now the app is in
> official WMF hands how long will it take before they kick the volunteers
> out, and let the WMF devs work on it?
>
> I would rather have seen this volunteer (and other) volunteer projects in
> the hands of volunteers. Every year the WMF asks for more money, and take
> away more and more things the volunteers used to run for free.
>
> I would rather see things moved to volunteers instead of the other way
> arround.
>
> Paul Vlaan

Re: Update: Upload to Commons Android app

Dmitry Brant
Hi Paul,

To be clear, the Commons app is still very much in the hands of volunteers.
The WMF has simply allowed the app to use the Commons logo, which will make
the app more recognizable and discoverable by users. In fact, this app
*used* to be an official WMF project before we discontinued it nearly two
years ago, and was subsequently picked up by these excellent volunteers.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Paul Laan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this is good news, but it also makes me wonder the following:
>
> We saw it happen a couple of times the last months, now the app is in
> official WMF hands how long will it take before they kick the volunteers
> out, and let the WMF devs work on it?
>
> I would rather have seen this volunteer (and other) volunteer projects in
> the hands of volunteers. Every year the WMF asks for more money, and take
> away more and more things the volunteers used to run for free.
>
> I would rather see things moved to volunteers instead of the other way
> arround.
>
> Paul Vlaan

Dmitry Brant
Senior Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)
Wikimedia Foundation
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_mobile_engineering

Re: Update: Upload to Commons Android app

Pine W
A clarification: Josephine is a grantee, not a volunteer.

I've seen situations go both ways, with WMF making decisions that it should
leave to the community (such as with MediaViewer) as well as declining to
pay for projects that would be worth funding (such as the previous decision
to drop support for this app.) I am hopeful that under Katherine's
leadership, WMF will be more supportive of community decisions and
priorities.

Pine