Update on 2010 timetable?

Thomas Dalton
Could we get an update on when we're likely to get a result? I have
potential suppliers wanting to know if we're going to go ahead with
the order or not - I told them I would know if the conference was
going ahead on the 16th and they are now chasing me up! I would like
to be able to tell something more than "soon".

I don't blame the Jury for needing extra time, the bids are very close
and I don't envy their decision, but some idea of how much extra time
they need would be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

phoebe ayers
Hi Thomas and all,
My apologies, I meant to send an email to everyone yesterday.

The jury met over the weekend after lots of online discussion and agreed that another week would be necessary to reach consensus and develop feedback for the bids. So we are hoping to be done by the end of this coming weekend, April 26.

My apologies for the delay, I know everyone is quite anxious. In retrospect the timetable should have been longer to begin with -- it always takes a while to talk about the bids, and to fit deliberations around the schedule of eight busy people! For next year whoever moderates the jury should  add an extra two weeks to deliberations, whether we think we need it or not :)

That said, the jury is not at consensus yet, so while everyone is going to try their best to spend lots of time working on it this week, it might take longer.

-- phoebe

2009/4/21 phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Thomas and all,
> My apologies, I meant to send an email to everyone yesterday.
>
> The jury met over the weekend after lots of online discussion and agreed
> that another week would be necessary to reach consensus and develop feedback
> for the bids. So we are hoping to be done by the end of this coming weekend,
> April 26.

Thanks! If at all possible, could you try and do the UK a massive
favour and get the result out before midday (UTC) on the 26th? Our AGM
is that afternoon and it would be really good to know if we've won the
bid or not so we can discuss what happens next if we have.

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Roan Kattouw-2
2009/4/21 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks! If at all possible, could you try and do the UK a massive
> favour and get the result out before midday (UTC) on the 26th?
I don't know if and how many people from North or South America are
involved in this, but noon BST (which I assume is what you mean,
"midday" is vague and Britain is in UTC+1 right now due to DST) is
really very early there :D (4 AM Pacific, 7 AM Eastern), so that might
be a bit of a problem.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Thomas Dalton
2009/4/21 Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/4/21 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks! If at all possible, could you try and do the UK a massive
>> favour and get the result out before midday (UTC) on the 26th?
> I don't know if and how many people from North or South America are
> involved in this, but noon BST (which I assume is what you mean,
> "midday" is vague and Britain is in UTC+1 right now due to DST) is
> really very early there :D (4 AM Pacific, 7 AM Eastern), so that might
> be a bit of a problem.

I meant noon UTC (I consider "noon" and "midday" to be synonymous).
People will start arriving for the AGM at 1pm BST, I translated that
to UTC for the benefit of people not familiar with the UK's DST rules.
Looking at the Jury list, it seems that the majority are not from
North or South America. It looks like 3 people in Europe, 3 in America
and one that I think is in Egypt. Depending on what the final hurdle
they have to get over is, it might well be possible to finish on
Sunday morning, UTC (If not, then so be it.)

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Al Tally
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/4/21 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks! If at all possible, could you try and do the UK a massive
> favour and get the result out before midday (UTC) on the 26th?
I don't know if and how many people from North or South America are
involved in this, but noon BST (which I assume is what you mean,
"midday" is vague and Britain is in UTC+1 right now due to DST) is
really very early there :D (4 AM Pacific, 7 AM Eastern), so that might
be a bit of a problem.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

I think he meant *by* midday, not necessary *at* midday.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Wojciech Pędzich
Thomas Dalton pisze:

> Thanks! If at all possible, could you try and do the UK a massive
> favour and get the result out before midday (UTC) on the 26th? Our AGM
> is that afternoon and it would be really good to know if we've won the
> bid or not so we can discuss what happens next if we have.

Hmm, how about we do not press the jury too hard, or not at all, in
order to help them make the right decision? We also would love not to
wake all the journalists up at the time when they ought to be sound
asleep, but hey...

Wojtek / Wpedzich (Gdańsk team)

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

brian.mcneil-2
The journalists are already awake. ;-)

Brian McNeil
Wikinews.

> Thanks! If at all possible, could you try and do the UK a massive
> favour and get the result out before midday (UTC) on the 26th? Our AGM
> is that afternoon and it would be really good to know if we've won the
> bid or not so we can discuss what happens next if we have.

Hmm, how about we do not press the jury too hard, or not at all, in
order to help them make the right decision? We also would love not to
wake all the journalists up at the time when they ought to be sound
asleep, but hey...

Wojtek / Wpedzich (Gdańsk team)

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Effe iets anders
talking about journalists... it might be good to consider telling the local teams (or at least the winning team) some time in advance before making the decision public, to enable them to prepare a proper (joint) press release from the chapter and/or the wmf. I know this is not very ideal towards the community, but this might be an advantage to catch attention, and to reach out that way.

best, lodewijk

2009/4/21 Wojciech Pędzich <[hidden email]>
Thomas Dalton pisze:

> Thanks! If at all possible, could you try and do the UK a massive
> favour and get the result out before midday (UTC) on the 26th? Our AGM
> is that afternoon and it would be really good to know if we've won the
> bid or not so we can discuss what happens next if we have.

Hmm, how about we do not press the jury too hard, or not at all, in
order to help them make the right decision? We also would love not to
wake all the journalists up at the time when they ought to be sound
asleep, but hey...

Wojtek / Wpedzich (Gdańsk team)

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

phoebe ayers
Just so you guys know, if the jury can't come to a decision, we are having it in Frankfurt at the Haus der Jugend :)

-- phoebe

effe iets anders pisze:
> talking about journalists... it might be good to consider telling the
> local teams (or at least the winning team) some time in advance before
> making the decision public, to enable them to prepare a proper (joint)
> press release from the chapter and/or the wmf. I know this is not very
> ideal towards the community, but this might be an advantage to catch
> attention, and to reach out that way.
>
> best, lodewijk

Against. That'd mean there are some priviledged people who should know
(how will you define them?) and "the others". I also don't think that
whoever gets word of the results will be able to keep his keyboard shut
for long enough. Besides, it's the WMF who's organising the conference
with the aid of the local team and local chapters (if available) the way
I understand it. Don't shoot for PR, just try to make the best bid you
can so that the conference runs smoothly, not with glamour.

Wojtek

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Thomas Dalton
2009/4/21 phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>:
> Just so you guys know, if the jury can't come to a decision, we are having
> it in Frankfurt at the Haus der Jugend :)

They can only seat 400 [1]. Try the WMDE office in Berlin - that could
fit everyone easily!

1. http://www.jugendherberge-frankfurt.de/index.php?id=16&L=1

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Thomas Dalton
2009/4/21 Wojciech Pędzich <[hidden email]>:

> effe iets anders pisze:
>> talking about journalists... it might be good to consider telling the
>> local teams (or at least the winning team) some time in advance before
>> making the decision public, to enable them to prepare a proper (joint)
>> press release from the chapter and/or the wmf. I know this is not very
>> ideal towards the community, but this might be an advantage to catch
>> attention, and to reach out that way.
>>
>> best, lodewijk
>
> Against. That'd mean there are some priviledged people who should know
> (how will you define them?) and "the others". I also don't think that
> whoever gets word of the results will be able to keep his keyboard shut
> for long enough. Besides, it's the WMF who's organising the conference
> with the aid of the local team and local chapters (if available) the way
> I understand it. Don't shoot for PR, just try to make the best bid you
> can so that the conference runs smoothly, not with glamour.

I'm against as well, I don't think it's practical. If the bids were
made by chapters, rather than "local teams" (which are really just
informal groups of people that aren't particularly well defined), then
it might be possible, but that isn't the case. Perhaps in the future
we'll be able to make it a requirement that bids are made by chapters,
and then we could consider things like this, but I'm not sure chapters
are widespread enough for that yet. Give it a couple of years.

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Joseph Seddon-2
Don't shoot for PR, just try to make the best bid you
can so that the conference runs smoothly, not with glamour.

Its to do with having a high degree of professionalism.

Seddon

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Effe iets anders
I don't consider it a privilige to know it before, sorry :) There are /always/ people who know it first (the jury itself for one). I see it merely as an opportunity to do a good press release.

I disagree with you that PR is not important. Wikimania is a great opportunity to wake some people up for free licenses and what Wikimedia is all about, and I think we should not waste that, no matter who is officially the organizer.

Besides that, the local team is in all three cases (as I understand it) made up by chapter people who could use this release perhaps for promoting the chapter in their own country and the principles the chapter is enthousiastic about. The WMF is not able to tailor make a press release for thelocal press, to which this will be the most exciting news.

As I said, it is not ideal, but I believe that the better publicity might be worth the disadvantages of giving a few people a head start regarding information.

Best regards,

effe iets anders pisze:

[...]

This year we have three bids, three countries and three chapters. There is
no time like the present to try it out.

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Thomas Dalton
2009/4/21 Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>:

>> I'm against as well, I don't think it's practical. If the bids were
>> made by chapters, rather than "local teams" (which are really just
>> informal groups of people that aren't particularly well defined), then
>> it might be possible, but that isn't the case. Perhaps in the future
>> we'll be able to make it a requirement that bids are made by chapters,
>> and then we could consider things like this, but I'm not sure chapters
>> are widespread enough for that yet. Give it a couple of years.
>
> This year we have three bids, three countries and three chapters. There is
> no time like the present to try it out.

Yes, but the bids aren't actually made by the chapters. As you well
know, the leader of the UK bid isn't even a member of the UK chapter
(yet)!

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Roan Kattouw-2
2009/4/21 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> Yes, but the bids aren't actually made by the chapters. As you well
> know, the leader of the UK bid isn't even a member of the UK chapter
> (yet)!

Not officially, no. But in practice, the chapters support the bids and
chapter members are active in the bids. Also, while the local team may
not be a well-defined group, the core team is. They could cooperate
with the chapter and the WMF in writing a joint press release.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Update on 2010 timetable?

Jay Walsh
I know that announcement will be quite important for the winning bid team - but it's just a matter of course to manage that.  It would be good for them to have some notice, perhaps a day or two, to prep a basic news release highlighting the news.

I don't think there's a huge risk of the news getting out.  Media would really need direction from the winning committee to get the full story.  So generally it would be better to be ready and confident with the news/announcement.

I don't believe WMF formally announced the winner of the upcoming year's WMania last year, but it might be a good way for us to help draw attention globally to Wikimania in more general terms... perhaps in the same big press release we could announce the 2010 location and then hopefully we'll have media registration for Buenos Aires ready?  Or if we haven't got anything new to report for BA, then we could just have a few quotes from both teams talking about Wikimania.

Thanks!

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications