Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I have been interested in mobile mediawiki less then a week and I am thankful to the Urdu localisers for pointing me in this direction..
  • 13 more languages are now completely localised
  • Swahili was completed (Africa)
  • Malayalam was completed (India)
  • there is now some documentation on all the aspects of Wikipedia optimised for mobile telephone
  • Mobile MediaWiki needs to get more prominence on the websites when the strategy says that it will bring us more traffic
  • The localisation is only 24 messages at this time ... it makes sense to do it for every language, particularly yours
  • Something like once a week the localisations are updated I have been told
So, this is an easy one... help us get more traffic, make Wikipedia better accessible in your language.
Thanks,
     GerardM

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Arjuna Rao Chavala
Can siomeone summarize which mobiles available in India are able to
display indic wikipedias  and what is their cost.?
Regards
Arjun

--
Sent from my mobile device

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
One way of approaching this is by asking our corporate (ie MediaWiki) sponsors and ask them this question. When they indicate that specific models do not work for specific languages, we can find people who can help with the creation of additional characters for fonts. (I know just the man).

When we are going mobile, it makes sense to do that whole hog and indiicate that on our main pages. The phone models that actually work should also be on a prominent place ie Meta comes to mind. When we can establish that we serve content to a mobile, we can provide the mobile skin by default. This is however for our techies to sort out.
Thanks,
    GerardM

--
Sent from my mobile device

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

praveenp
Gerard Meijssen wrote:
--

Hoi,
One way of approaching this is by asking our corporate (ie MediaWiki) sponsors and ask them this question. When they indicate that specific models do not work for specific languages, we can find people who can help with the creation of additional characters for fonts. (I know just the man).
I just saw a 'screenshot of mobile Malayalam Wikipedia article' sent by Jyothis (from his iphone (?)). Malayalam font rendering support need complete reconstruction.  All  indic  scripts are very similar,  so  same  will be the case in other languages (may be, If they were not fixed yet). Few years before all 'computer operating systems' suffered the same problems ;-)[1][2], so lets hope that will get fixed soon.

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Can I have this screen shot and, can I have confirmation that it is from an i-phone ? I would also love to see this from an android.

The big thing about change is that it is you that can make this happen. <grin> I started blogging about mobile MediaWiki support and now we have 39 languages fully supported at last count up from 24.I am still awaiting for a Hindi, a Tamil, a Nepali ... complete localisation. I am happy with Malayalam and Bengali :)
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 23 February 2010 08:12, Praveen Prakash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gerard Meijssen wrote:
--

Hoi,
One way of approaching this is by asking our corporate (ie MediaWiki) sponsors and ask them this question. When they indicate that specific models do not work for specific languages, we can find people who can help with the creation of additional characters for fonts. (I know just the man).
I just saw a 'screenshot of mobile Malayalam Wikipedia article' sent by Jyothis (from his iphone (?)). Malayalam font rendering support need complete reconstruction.  All  indic  scripts are very similar,  so  same  will be the case in other languages (may be, If they were not fixed yet). Few years before all 'computer operating systems' suffered the same problems ;-)[1][2], so lets hope that will get fixed soon.

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Jyothis Edathoot
It is from my iphone and the problems with rendering needs to be fixed by Apple.

Gerard, I will send it to you on a seperate email.

Regards,
Jyothis.

http://www.Jyothis.net

http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jyothis

woods are lovely dark and deep,
but i have promises to keep and
miles to go before i sleep and
lines to go before I press sleep

completion date = (start date + ((estimated effort x 3.1415926) / resources) + ((total coffee breaks x 0.25) / 24)) + Effort in meetings

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
--

Hoi,
One way of approaching this is by asking our corporate (ie MediaWiki) sponsors and ask them this question. When they indicate that specific models do not work for specific languages, we can find people who can help with the creation of additional characters for fonts. (I know just the man).
I just saw a 'screenshot of mobile Malayalam Wikipedia article' sent by Jyothis (from his iphone (?)). Malayalam font rendering support need complete reconstruction.  All  indic  scripts are very similar,  so  same  will be the case in other languages (may be, If they were not fixed yet). Few years before all 'computer operating systems' suffered the same problems ;-)[1][2], so lets hope that will get fixed soon.

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
If you guys can just give a screenshot of each of the languages, it'd be of great help. But won't using Unicode fix it??

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
--

Hoi,
One way of approaching this is by asking our corporate (ie MediaWiki) sponsors and ask them this question. When they indicate that specific models do not work for specific languages, we can find people who can help with the creation of additional characters for fonts. (I know just the man).
I just saw a 'screenshot of mobile Malayalam Wikipedia article' sent by Jyothis (from his iphone (?)). Malayalam font rendering support need complete reconstruction.  All  indic  scripts are very similar,  so  same  will be the case in other languages (may be, If they were not fixed yet). Few years before all 'computer operating systems' suffered the same problems ;-)[1][2], so lets hope that will get fixed soon.

Your friend in time,

Cherian/Srikanth/R/

Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Srikanth Ramakrishnan wrote:
.... But won't using Unicode fix it??

I didnt get that

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
Can I have this screen shot and, can I have confirmation that it is from an i-phone ? I would also love to see this from an android.
One Android screenshot available here. That also shows same problems in i-phone.

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Jyothis Edathoot-2
Srikanth,

Unicode is a standard. Rendering is the responsibility of the software. If the software follows the standard and renders it correctly, things will look right. Otherwise, otherwise.

Usually, large font makers and corporates like microsoft and apple are not exactly up to date in standards. Hence, we end up with rendering issues.

Regards,
Jyothis.
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Won't using a Unicode font fix rendering issues?

On 23 February 2010 21:26, Praveen Prakash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Srikanth Ramakrishnan wrote:
.... But won't using Unicode fix it??

I didnt get that

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
Can I have this screen shot and, can I have confirmation that it is from an i-phone ? I would also love to see this from an android.
One Android screenshot available here. That also shows same problems in i-phone.

Your friend in time,

Cherian/Srikanth/R/

Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Jyothis Edathoot-2
:) in a sense, yes. But as you know, It is not always feasible with large corporates and projects. This is not reaaly to put them at fault, but They have long term plans for each of their releases, which prevents them from running up to the speed of Unicode standards and renderings

Regards,
Jyothis.
Sent from my iPhone

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
Can I have this screen shot and, can I have confirmation that it is from an i-phone ? I would also love to see this from an android.
One Android screenshot available here. That also shows same problems in i-phone.

Your friend in time,

Cherian/Srikanth/R/

Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Your friend in time,

Cherian/Srikanth/R/

Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

praveenp
Srikanth Ramakrishnan wrote:
Won't using a Unicode font fix rendering issues?
All Indian languages uses vowel symbols, ligatures (1,2,3). Font can just define them, But proper display is application's duty.

--
Wikipedia Affiliate Button

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Casey Brown-5
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, this is an easy one... help us get more traffic, make Wikipedia better
> accessible in your language.

Another note:  you can even adjust your wiki's settings so that all
mobile users are automatically redirected to the mobile interface.
(If you don't, they probably will never find it.)  The code is on the
help page at Meta-Wiki:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile#Redirecting_users>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: Update on Mobile MediaWiki

Jyothis Edathoot
Srikanth,

It may not be blindness, but the cost in migrating to fully support unicode.

Regards,
Jyothis.

http://www.Jyothis.net

http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jyothis

woods are lovely dark and deep,
but i have promises to keep and
miles to go before i sleep and
lines to go before I press sleep

completion date = (start date + ((estimated effort x 3.1415926) / resources) + ((total coffee breaks x 0.25) / 24)) + Effort in meetings

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
So we need to get behind RIM to support Indic I guess ..Seing that India  is one of their largest markets, thios should be obvious and common sense, but they're probably blind..

On 25 February 2010 08:29, arjuna rao chavala <[hidden email]> wrote:
Couple of points I read somewhere on the net are
Blackberry 9000 series is unicode compatible.
Android was tweaked to display Thai.
Nokia's s60 platform/ sdk  is supporting indic languages..

Regards
Arjun