Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions

Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions

Ellie Young
Here's an update on various activities pertaining to our the upcoming Wikimania '17 which is being held August 9-13 in Montréal, Québec, Canada.

WMF Scholarship Program:  110 people were offered and subsequently accepted a full or partial scholarship to attend.  The awardees are listed by user names and the list is posted here:

Submissions:  The program committee has just finished it's review and deliberations.  Rejections and acceptance emails are going out this week and next.  We expect to post the program by the end of this month.

Registration and accommodation information is now up for everyone at:

If you are a scholarship or other WMF funded attendee (staff, contractor, board, etc), please wait until you hear from the WMF with your registration and accommodation instructions.

If you have any questions about the conference, please email [hidden email]

Please spread the word!!!!

Thanks, Ellie

--
Ellie Young
Events Manager

Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions

Dr. U.B. Pavanaja

Hi,

Long back when I asked for list of scholarship awardees, with their usernames, someone answered saying that the usernames of scholarship awardees can’t be disclosed. How come they have been disclosed now?

Regards,

Pavanaja

Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions

Barbara Fischer
thanks for update

Barbara Fischer
Kuratorin für Kulturpartnerschaften
via Twitter: @fischerdata

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-(0)44

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

[...]

Jonathan Cardy
Hi Dr Pavanaja,

Back in April you asked for a list of scholarship applicants and people explained why we only publicise the list of people who are awarded a grant, not the people whose applications are declined. The list of people awarded a grant has been published, your request for a list of applicants has not and hopefully won't ever be published. Nothing has changed. If people apply for a scholarship and are declined that remains a private matter between the applicant and the scholarship committee, unless of course the applicant chooses to say that they applied and didn't get a scholarship.

Regards

Jonathan

This was your email in April.

I would like WMF to make the list of applicants, their contributions, the weightage used for each kind of contribution and the final list of scholarship awardees in a table form. Since WMF is run by the contributions of the volunteers, such a transparency is definitely needed from WMF. I hope WMF will oblige.

Regards,

Pavanaja

On 17 May 2017, at 06:07, Dr. U.B. Pavanaja <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Long back when I asked for list of scholarship awardees, with their usernames, someone answered saying that the usernames of scholarship awardees can’t be disclosed. How come they have been disclosed now?

Regards,

Pavanaja

Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions

phoebe ayers-3
Hi all,

and an update to Ellie's update... all of the acceptance/rejection/waitlist emails for the Wikimedia program have gone out, as of early this week. If you're expecting to hear from me about a submission and haven't yet, let us know: [hidden email] (I know there are still some followup questions in the queue, but if you haven't heard from us at all there may be a problem with the email).

And if you were accepted but haven't written back: please do so asap!

We should be able to resolve waitlist submissions within the next couple of weeks; this is a fairly labor-intensive period of going back & forth to build the schedule. Thanks for your patience!

Phoebe

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at> gmail.com *