Update on Wikimania '18

Ellie Young

All,

Here's an update on various activities pertaining to the upcoming
Wikimania '18  which is being held July 18-22 in Cape Town, South Africa.

WMF Scholarship Program:  135 people were offered and subsequently accepted
a full or partial scholarship to attend.  The awardees are listed by user
names and the list is posted here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars

Submissions:  The program committee has just finished its review and
deliberations.  Rejections and acceptance emails  have gone out in the past week.

95% of the accepted submissions are listed at:

https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Program

Plenaries and other sessions will be listed soon and a scheduled program  in June.

Registration and accommodation information is now up for everyone at:

https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration
https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation

If you are a scholarship or other WMF funded attendee (staff, contractor,
board, etc), please wait until you hear from the WMF with your registration
and accommodation instructions.

If you have any questions about the conference, please email
wikimania-info at wikimedia.org

Please spread the word!!!!

On behalf of the Wikimania '18 Organizing Team

Ellie Young
Events Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

--
Ellie Young
Events Manager

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Jaqen
Thank you Ellie!

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just a note, while the text is right these links are directed toward the 2017 pages.

Here are the correct ones:

Jaqen

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

praveenp

Congratulation to all the selection committee who break the tradition[1] of selecting  one of the Malayalam communities two permanent Wikimania attendees, by selecting both of them.

Congratulation to User:Netha Hussain & User:viswaprabha also.

[1] "Granting Scholarship to same persons every year" thread, https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2017-May/008026.html

~User:Praveenp

Registration and accommodation information is now up for everyone at: https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation If you are a scholarship or other WMF funded attendee (staff, contractor, board, etc), please wait until you hear from the WMF with your registration and accommodation instructions. If you have any questions about the conference, please email wikimania-info at wikimedia.org Please spread the word!!!! On behalf of the Wikimania '18 Organizing Team

Ellie Young Events Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

--
Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
c. 510 701 8649

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Lodewijk
Given the context of the previous email you sent, I am assuming this is more a complaint that you didn't get selected than that the other two got selected.

Similarly to the previous time you tried to have this discussion - I feel uncomfortable to make this about individuals.

Is there a way to give rejected applicants more feedback on which factors play a main role, so that they can learn from it, especially if there is something they could improve in their application. I would add two sidenotes here though: it should only be provided on request (no need to rub people's noses into something unnecessarily) and it seems only viable at a level that can be easily extracted from the process (high level).

Perhaps someone who knows the scholarship committee's work intimately could comment.

Best,
Lodewijk

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:21 AM, praveenp <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

As I have said last year, this is not a complaint that I didn't get selected. This is not personal. This is about same persons receiving Wikimania scholarship year after year repeatedly. I am just using familiar user names from a familiar community, who got many repeated scholarships.

Even after I argued that none of these 'permanent scholarship receivers' sharing anything to community, I haven't seen any attempt to share the knowledge and wisdom acquired from Wikimania to community through mailing list or wiki. Users including me generally feel that community is being mocked on.

I tried to keep myself away from local discussion about this, but injustice is so clear. And nobody is ready to discuss it openly, most probably because of the 'incompetency shaming' in almost all replies.

~user:Praveenp

On Tuesday 29 May 2018 11:19 PM, Lodewijk wrote:
[...]

cs

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

cs
I  am also  concerned about  the same people  repeatedly receiving  scholarships, and this is by  no  way  of complaining  that I did  not  receive one.
As I  said last year however, I  believe it  is also inappropriate  to  inform  applicants that  they  have been placed on  a short  list. Not only  does this raise false hopes, but  as many  applications are based on  the users' intentions to  submit a presentation, it  incurs a serious  waste of volunteers' time.

I  also  believe that  active Wikipedia users who  have financed their own participation  in  the conference multiple times should also  be given priority  consideration.

I  fully  understand that  the according  of scholarships is a complex and difficult  task. As  a former volunteer scholarship approvals committee member, I  think  I  have some experience in  these maters.

Not  one single Wikimania has been organised without  serious issues which  often result in  attendees’ negative experience.
Perhaps the solution  would be to  have the entire concept  of Wikimania place in  the hands of an experienced volunteer task  force of former conference organizers, presenters,  and attendees who  will have learned from  previous  errors and adminstartive organisational  hiccups. Funds should also  be made available for  face-to-face meetings for  the organisation of such  an important  event.

Having  a truly executive Board of Trustees rather than one that  simply  rubber stamps the way  the WMF works, in  this and most  other areas, may  be a step  towards addressing  these issues.

Kudpung

On 30, May2018, at 01:59, Gheorghe Zugravu <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29.05.2018 20:33, praveenp wrote:
I haven't seen any attempt to share the knowledge and wisdom acquired
from Wikimania to community through mailing list or wiki. Users
including me generally feel that community is being mocked on.

Hi to all,
without being too original here, and following praveenp comments - would
be good to encourage recipients of WMF scholarship to organize some type
of Wikimania follow-up activities back in their groups or chapters.

I do believe that most of them are doing it anyway without any
requirements from WMF, but if majority would  do it - we could have
something as a ”permanent Wikimania” unfolding globally for a couple of
months after the official Wikimania.

regards,
/gheorghe

[...]

Hi,

*

here:https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars>Submissions:

at:https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration>https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation>If
wikimedia.org<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l>Please
spread the word!!!!On behalf of the Wikimania '18 Organizing Team

Ellie YoungEvents Manager, Wikimedia
Foundation<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l>​

*

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)-2
Just for the information of all those who read this thread,
I did not get selected this year through the normal scholarship filtration process. I happen to be among those who could not attend Wikimania 2017 at Montreal, even after going through all these bashing and grillings and then obtaining a valid scholarship last year, due to the so called 'Canadian visa' problem.
So, for me, scholarship to Wikimania 2018 was an automatic fall-in. Please reset your counters.
My total Wikimania participation till date:
2012 Washington DC, 2014 London, 2015 Mexico.

Regards,
User:Viswaprabha

On 30 May 2018 at 06:19, cs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

cs

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

cs
Visswaprabha,

'2012 Washington DC, 2014 London, 2015 Mexico.'

and for how many of those did you get a scholarship?

Kudpung

On 30 May 2018, at 13:28, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Siebrand Mazeland-2
I think this is the point where we are deviating from the original issue, and where I feel things are getting way too personal. Can we please stay in a general topic and refrain from analyzing who in particular may or may not be getting the long or short end of the stick?

--
Siebrand

Op 30 mei 2018 om 08:42 heeft CS <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Visswaprabha,

[...]

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Gnangarra
Viswaprabha  highlights a reason why some people may be appearing to get Montreal and CapeTown.

Where as Kudpung is highlighting that over time some people seam to get many scholarship opportunities to attend, while others miss out or perpetually end up on the wait list.

I dont think Kudpung is picking on  Viswaprabha in any specific way, just enquiring if the three other listed Wikimanias were all scholarships along with capetown.

Personally I've only once got WMF scholarship to washington, once I was asked by the chapter to represent them in london, I have applied for a few others and been unsuccessful,

Yes its unfortunate that some people appear to get more opportunities while others miss out, understanding the mechanics of how & why that happens is an important part of  the processes being reviewed and improved.

In some ways such issues need seek personal information because that does inform others.  I do wonder how much of the application information is taken in good faith and how much is reviewed, because we know that filling in forms for such activities is skill set that some people have the ability to over promote themselves while others struggle in relating the good work they are doing -- this part is no way intended to reflect on  Viswaprabha, I appreciate Viswaprabha  took the time to highlight a personal event that is impacting this discussion in a non normal way.

On 30 May 2018 at 14:45, Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), Never Again: Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8, UWAP, 2017.  Order here.

cs

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

cs
Is there any  other way  of investigating  these issues without mentioning  the names of the scholarship awardees?
I  don’t  think  anyone is criticising  the awardees themselves -  they  are obviously  grateful at  having  been selected and we certainly don’t resent  their having  the opportunity.
I am always amused (amazed?) however, at  every Wikimania I  have attended, at  the number of people who  stand up  when Jimbo  asks his regular question: 'Stand up  all  those who  have been to  a Wikimania X times?’
Considering  the geographical  distances between locations, and the personal  expense,  it  surprises me that  so  many  have been many  times -  or were those the WMF staff?

Kudpung

On 30, May2018, at 14:02, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Federico Leva (Nemo)
cs, 30/05/2018 10:16:
> Is there any  other way  of investigating  these issues /without/
> mentioning  the names of the scholarship awardees?

Well, in theory we've been publishing the names of people who got a
scholarship for a few years now, so it should be possible to make a
complete list of repeat recipients in N years and then talk just about
the number rather than names.

I agree that repeat scholarships are a bad way to spend donor money, for
the law of diminishing returns. We can disagree on how big the problem
is, but we have sufficient evidence that it exists. In the past I've
proposed and implemented severe penalties, but I'll clearly admit that I
failed to effectively reform the review process.

I personally agree with more draconian solutions which would set very
clear expectations. A total ban on a scholarship for those who got one
the previous year is a possibility. It would be as fair as re-election
limits in democratic competitions.

Federico

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Subhashish Panigrahi
Praveen,

This could also be discussed on the Malayalam Wikipedia village pump and/or the mailing list where the community can request the participants with a list of expectations. When a Wikimedian is awarded the scholarship on the basis of their own contribution to the larger movement, they do owe their own community the wisdom they would bring back from Wikimania.

But I personally don’t see this thread a fruitful one. Many from your own community might not be active here. While sharing this suggestion with I’m also thinking in my head that how we could engage with my own community so that they share such a wishlist. We tried to do it in the past but did not receive many comments. Maybe there is a way we can innovate. If we succeed, I will create a Learning Pattern, and share here. :)

Subhashish

> On May 30, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> cs, 30/05/2018 10:16:
>> Is there any  other way  of investigating  these issues /without/ mentioning  the names of the scholarship awardees?
>
> Well, in theory we've been publishing the names of people who got a scholarship for a few years now, so it should be possible to make a complete list of repeat recipients in N years and then talk just about the number rather than names.
>
> I agree that repeat scholarships are a bad way to spend donor money, for the law of diminishing returns. We can disagree on how big the problem is, but we have sufficient evidence that it exists. In the past I've proposed and implemented severe penalties, but I'll clearly admit that I failed to effectively reform the review process.
>
> I personally agree with more draconian solutions which would set very clear expectations. A total ban on a scholarship for those who got one the previous year is a possibility. It would be as fair as re-election limits in democratic competitions.
>
> Federico

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Mykola Kozlenko

As a disclaimer: I have been in multiple roles, including receiving a WMF scholarship (2014, 2017 and 2018), being denied a WMF scholarship, attending Wikimania at my own expense and reviewing Wikimania scholarship applications for a chapter.

From this experience I do not agree with the 'law of diminishing returns' or draconian measures. However, there are several trends:

1) First Wikimania is usually extremely motivating for almost everyone. Yet it is hard for a first-time Wikimania attendee to clearly explain the value of Wikimania for them before attending it. On one hand, these people are very likely to become more involved, start new projects, share new ideas etc. On the other hand, their scholarship applications will be most likely somewhat vague on their plans for Wikimania, and we have to take that into account.

2) Second and following Wikimanias are indeed less likely to bring that much additional motivation. However, there is huge added value as these attendees already know what to expect from and what to look for at Wikimania and in some ways make Wikimania itself more valuable. This includes sharing at Wikimania: participating at round tables, making presentations or posters etc. This also includes learning from Wikimania: asking the questions their community wants to ask, meeting the people who work on the topics they are interested in etc. This is not a diminishing return, but this requires to think of the added value you can bring to Wikimania.

3) For veteran Wikimedians attending a lot of times, Wikimania is also a place to meet people with whom they work online and share experience both ways. For example, we know people want to meet stewards to learn more about their work, and stewards want to meet users to get some insight on their role. This might be a sufficient motivation to attend at own expense if costs are not too prohibitive, but if this is the case (I don't think we have stewards in Sub-Saharan Africa for example) some of them will probably need scholarships. They will bring added value by their experience and role even if they might have attended in previous years.

I don't think there is a simple solution but this definitely deserves a discussion either here or during the conference.

Best regards,
Mykola (NickK)

Від кого: "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <[hidden email]>
Дата: 30 травня 2018, 10:38:09

cs, 30/05/2018 10:16:
> Is there any  other way  of investigating  these issues /without/
> mentioning  the names of the scholarship awardees?

Well, in theory we've been publishing the names of people who got a
scholarship for a few years now, so it should be possible to make a
complete list of repeat recipients in N years and then talk just about
the number rather than names.

I agree that repeat scholarships are a bad way to spend donor money, for
the law of diminishing returns. We can disagree on how big the problem
is, but we have sufficient evidence that it exists. In the past I've
proposed and implemented severe penalties, but I'll clearly admit that I
failed to effectively reform the review process.

I personally agree with more draconian solutions which would set very
clear expectations. A total ban on a scholarship for those who got one
the previous year is a possibility. It would be as fair as re-election
limits in democratic competitions.

Federico

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

praveenp

> This could also be discussed on the Malayalam Wikipedia village pump and/or the mailing list where the community can request the participants with a list of expectations. When a Wikimedian is awarded the scholarship on the basis of their own contribution to the larger movement, they do owe their own community the wisdom they would bring back from Wikimania.
I raised the issue of repeated scholarship last year, but only now I
understood that the person who mentioned in that thread as a scholarship
reciever, was not attended the Wikimania last year. That is the level of
communication happens from the scholarship receivers.

> But I personally don’t see this thread a fruitful one. Many from your own community might not be active here. While sharing this suggestion with I’m also thinking in my head that how we could engage with my own community so that they share such a wishlist. We tried to do it in the past but did not receive many comments. Maybe there is a way we can innovate. If we succeed, I will create a Learning Pattern, and share here. :)

It may not be fruitful now, but I think it is important to challenge a
flawed system which give unjustifiable advantage to some.

Although I didn't participate any 'Wikimania scholarship application &
rejection discussion' this year, I am sure that active users in ml.wiki
community are aware of this repeated scholarship phenomena. Also this is
not something a small community can control. After applying for
scholarship, applicants are completely at the 'mercy' of selection
committee.

As you know, Malayalam community is a small community, most people know
each other in the real world. Even here in a mailing list of somewhat
not-so-familiar people, it is very difficult to question a controversial
selection process. You can assume how difficult would it be in an open
place where everybody know everyone else personally.

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Dariusz Jemielniak-3

Just like Mykola, I attended Wikimania on different budgets. I believe I received a scholarship once, I was also denied once at least.

The problem expressed in this topic, the way I see it, is that some people may be picked from year to year basing on the same reasons (good proposal, region, etc.). The concern expressed by some is that while every year these merits may be true, the system leads to reinforcing the same cabal.

Except, it is my understanding that having previously attended Wikimania on a scholarship is an explicit criterion for lowering one's chances to get another one.

What is being postulated appears to be already reflected in the system. The system, btw, is very far from perfect and I think it is safe to assume that everyone agrees on that. Another issue, however, is whether we can prepare a better system while not spending significantly more money/volunteer time.

I'd suggest looking for concrete solutions and ideas rather than criticizing the outcomes.

Discussing particular people, and if they got sponsored repeatedly, does not sound fair to me - it is guilting them into believing that the fact they were nominated to come is something wrong.

Regarding shortlists - they surely are imperfect for various reasons, but common for such programs, including e.g. Fulbright (a shortlisted grantee may learn a/he is or is not going as late as two months prior to departure to the US).

Best,

DJ "pundit"

PS for clarity - I'm coming to Wikimania on the Board's budget.

On Wed, May 30, 2018, 11:51 Mykola Kozlenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

As a disclaimer: I have been in multiple roles, including receiving a WMF scholarship (2014, 2017 and 2018), being denied a WMF scholarship, attending Wikimania at my own expense and reviewing Wikimania scholarship applications for a chapter.

From this experience I do not agree with the 'law of diminishing returns' or draconian measures. However, there are several trends:

Дата: 30 травня 2018, 10:38:09

cs, 30/05/2018 10:16:
> Is there any  other way  of investigating  these issues /without/
> mentioning  the names of the scholarship awardees?

Well, in theory we've been publishing the names of people who got a
scholarship for a few years now, so it should be possible to make a
complete list of repeat recipients in N years and then talk just about
the number rather than names.

I agree that repeat scholarships are a bad way to spend donor money, for
the law of diminishing returns. We can disagree on how big the problem
is, but we have sufficient evidence that it exists. In the past I've
proposed and implemented severe penalties, but I'll clearly admit that I
failed to effectively reform the review process.

I personally agree with more draconian solutions which would set very
clear expectations. A total ban on a scholarship for those who got one
the previous year is a possibility. It would be as fair as re-election
limits in democratic competitions.

Federico

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Isaac Olatunde
Mentioning names and making comments close to criticising those who got scholarship repeatedly is distasteful
and I have to agree with Dariusz that such comment is unfair to these people. However, people are allowed to show their grievances if they considered themselves unjustly treated. When the same persons are selected for scholarship every year, this leave others whose application gets rejected every year with the impression that their works does not matter and this is not healthy for our movement.

I do think we need a better approach to addressing what others considered a problem.

Regards,

Isaac.

Disclaimer: I have been declined a scholarship to Wikimania once and I haven't apply for Wikimania scholarship since 2016.

On May 30, 2018 5:20 PM, "Dariusz Jemielniak" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

From this experience I do not agree with the 'law of diminishing returns' or draconian measures. However, there are several trends:

Дата: 30 травня 2018, 10:38:09

cs, 30/05/2018 10:16:
> Is there any  other way  of investigating  these issues /without/
> mentioning  the names of the scholarship awardees?

Well, in theory we've been publishing the names of people who got a
scholarship for a few years now, so it should be possible to make a
complete list of repeat recipients in N years and then talk just about
the number rather than names.

I agree that repeat scholarships are a bad way to spend donor money, for
the law of diminishing returns. We can disagree on how big the problem
is, but we have sufficient evidence that it exists. In the past I've
proposed and implemented severe penalties, but I'll clearly admit that I
failed to effectively reform the review process.

I personally agree with more draconian solutions which would set very
clear expectations. A total ban on a scholarship for those who got one
the previous year is a possibility. It would be as fair as re-election
limits in democratic competitions.

Federico

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Vira Motorko
Hi all, I'd like to add a few words.
Applicants tend to forget that same people are likely to be selected if same people are applying.
I do not think that it is a first job of scholarship committee to check that every year there are new people. If certain community has a problem that Wikimedians go to Wikimania but fail to report back to the community and do not bring back new knowledge, then it should be discussed within the community. I do believe that local community can find a way to encourage or discourage people to apply for a scholarship.
If there is trust in the community, discussions within it will bring ease. For example, different applicants can gather and compare their applications, and decide for themselves why scholarship committee liked this one better than that one. And write better application next time. Talk to each other, people.

Best regards,
user:Ата,
applied but did not receive scholarship in 2012, 2013, and 2014; received scholarship in 2015 and 2016; haven't apply since; gave advice to several other people with their applications

Re: Update on Wikimania '18

Chris Keating-2
Let's imagine a totally fair, but not very good process: Scholarships
get allocated completely at random. Some people would keep getting
allocated scholarships, entirely randomly.

Therefore, the observation that some people get scholarships several
years in a row is not strong evidence that the selection process is
somehow biased towards a select few...

(I mean, it is biased, towards people mainly active in smaller
language projects and from the Global South - that's quite deliberate
- and then it's biased towards Germans, because WMDE offers dozens of
scholarships for Germans outside of the WMF scheme. But those are
separate issues....)

Chris