Update on the India chapter

Nicholas-38
Hi all,

An update on the Wikimedia India chapter formation. We are in the process of finalizing the following:

* Trust vs Society
* Location of registration of trust
* Finalizing by-laws

1. Trust vs Society : Consensus favours the trust model
2. As many active wikipedians are based in Ahmadabad, the chapter will be registered there.
3. By-laws are up on < http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_India/bylaws >. Please  do join in the discussions there. It is scheduled to  be closed on the 15th of December.

Regards,
--Nicholas

Re: Update on the India chapter

R K Thukral
You may go ahead,

best,

R K thukral

Re: Update on the India chapter

BalaSundaraRaman
Hi Nicholas,

Can you please state where the discussion regarding membership and such happened and who the active members you mentioned are? I might've missed something. As far as I remember you asked in this list about willingness to join and several people including me had expressed interest. I noticed Utcursch's comparison of Trusts and Societies. Apart from these, I'm not aware of any discussion that happened.

I think that the Wikimedia chapter needs to have sufficient representation from as many Indian wikipedias as possible. Can we please have a detailed update in this list and the meta pages?

Regards,
Sundar

"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."

Re: Update on the India chapter

Utkarshraj Atmaram
On Dec 10, 2007 6:10 PM, BalaSundaraRaman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nicholas,
>
> Can you please state where the discussion regarding membership and such
> happened and who the active members you mentioned are? I might've missed
> something.

There was a thread from OTRS, where Hari Prasad Nadig (who is on the
Chapters committee) favored the society model, while some others
preferred a Trust. Delphine Ménard, the Chair of the Chapters
Committee advised us to carry out the discussion on Meta.

The current draft of bylaws is not final -- I've left things like
nature of the organization (Trust or Society), term of the Board etc.
for others to decide by discussion on Meta.

There has not been much discussion on Meta till now. I wonder how many
people are active on the mailing list, and how many Indian Wikipedians
know of the proceedings.

I would like the draft to finalized by December 15, but I've been busy
with things like FOSS.IN 2007 for the past few days. I've put up some
stats about the existing chapters on Meta:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_India/bylaws#Existing_chapters>

This should help us to decide on pending issues that are crucial for
getting approval from the Chapters Committee.

Please feel free to make changes to the draft, and drop suggestions at
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_India/bylaws>

--
Utkarshraj Atmaram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Utcursch

Re: Update on the India chapter

Vijay Barve

Dear Nicolas,

It is interesting to know that there are more active wikipedians from
Ahamadabad. Can you give the pointer to the city-wise statistics of the
wikipedians ?

Regards,

Vijay Barve

Re: Update on the India chapter

Anirudh S. Bhati
Dear Vijay,

Welcome to the Wikimedia India mailing list! It's a pleasure to have you with us.

As far as I know, there are three Wikimedians living in the city of Ahmedabad - Akash, Srikeit and myself. Lostintherush lives in Vadodara, and Soumyasch is from Gandhinagar.

Mr. Hari Prasad and Utkarsh are from Bangalore, and as far as I know, Gurubrahma is from the same place too. Shreshth91 is from New Delhi.

There are some other too, though, and they will be probably responding to your mail.

Best wishes,

--Anirudh
--[[w:en:User:Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington]]

On Dec 17, 2007 2:55 PM, Vijay Barve <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Nicolas,

It is interesting to know that there are more active wikipedians from
Ahamadabad. Can you give the pointer to the city-wise statistics of the
wikipedians ?

Regards,

Vijay Barve

Re: Update on the India chapter

Vijay Barve
Dear Anirudh,

Thank you for the update. Here is link to Bangalore Wikipedians List
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_in_Bangalore and here
for India http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Indian_Wikipedians

Regards,

Vijay

Anirudh wrote:

> Dear Vijay,
>
> Welcome to the Wikimedia India mailing list! It's a pleasure to have
> you with us.
>
> As far as I know, there are three Wikimedians living in the city of
> Ahmedabad - Akash, Srikeit and myself. Lostintherush lives in
> Vadodara, and Soumyasch is from Gandhinagar.
>
> Mr. Hari Prasad and Utkarsh are from Bangalore, and as far as I know,
> Gurubrahma is from the same place too. Shreshth91 is from New Delhi.
>
> There are some other too, though, and they will be probably responding
> to your mail.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --Anirudh
> --[[w:en:User:Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington]]
>
> On Dec 17, 2007 2:55 PM, Vijay Barve <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Dear Nicolas,
>
>     It is interesting to know that there are more active wikipedians from
>     Ahamadabad. Can you give the pointer to the city-wise statistics
>     of the
>     wikipedians ?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Vijay Barve

---
Vijay Vasant Barve
#74/2, Jarakbande Kaval,
Post Attur, Via Yelahanka,
Bangalore 560064
Phone : +91-80-28568000,1,2
---
Pl note change in my email id: [hidden email]
---

Re: Update on the India chapter

Kolhapuri
I guess there are quite a few Marathi Wikipedians from Pune.
I am an admin@marathi wikipedia and User:Wces423 on english wikipedia.
Nice to see fellow wikipedians here.

--
---
Vijay Vasant Barve
#74/2, Jarakbande Kaval,
Post Attur, Via Yelahanka,
Bangalore 560064
Phone : +91-80-28568000,1,2
---
Pl note change in my email id: [hidden email]
---

regards,
Pratik Dixit

Re: Update on the India chapter

Akash Shah
Yes. Lots of users have roots in Ahmedabad. But Srikeit is now studying in Bangalore. I don't see myself in Ahmedabad 6 months from now too. So that will leave you alone here Anirudh :)

Akash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l" target="_blank"> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l" target="_blank">http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

Re: Update on the India chapter

Srikeit
Hey all,
Sorry for being conspicuously silent for so long. I have been quite busy with my studies and haven't been able to contribute too much in the past few months. And yes, as Akash says, I have relocated to Bangalore but my roots are definitely in Ahmedabad. Nice to know there are so many Wikimedians in Bangalore as well and it would be quite pleasant to have a meetup. Anyone interested?

Cheers
Srikeit

Re: Update on the India chapter

Vijay Barve-2
Hi,

Sounds good, Let us have city wise meets to discuss personally and count
me in for Bangalore meet up.

Regards,

Vijay

Srikeit wrote:

> Hey all,
> Sorry for being conspicuously silent for so long. I have been quite
> busy with my studies and haven't been able to contribute too much in
> the past few months. And yes, as Akash says, I have relocated to
> Bangalore but my roots are definitely in Ahmedabad. Nice to know there
> are so many Wikimedians in Bangalore as well and it would be quite
> pleasant to have a meetup. Anyone interested?
>
> Cheers
> Srikeit

Re: Update on the India chapter

शंतनू