Update to web print styles

Chris Koerner-2
Wiki articles can be printed by most modern web browsers.The design and
layout of printed articles by the web browser is controlled via a special
print style sheet. This is similar to, but not the same as, the "Download
as PDF" feature, which recently saw a similar update.

Our current print styles have issues printing tables that are common on
many articles. They also do not contain any reference to the Wikipedia
brand. The Readers team at the Wikimedia Foundation plans to update these
print styles with some improvements.

* Book-like styling similar to our current book (PDF) rendering option
* New layout of article content to reduce paper usage. This can potentially
reduce the number of pages printed by 20 to 25%.
* Clear printing of tables and infoboxes
* Better headings
* Project-specific branding

We are planning on deploying these styles in August 2017. For a comparison
of the old print styles and the new, please visit the project page on
MediaWiki.org. Comments and feedback can be left on the talk page there.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Print_Styles#Desktop_Printing

Yours,
Chris Koerner
Community Liaison

Re: Update to web print styles

Federico Leva (Nemo)
I'm confused by this problem statement:
 > No branding or indication the content
 > came from Wikipedia or sister sites

Are you saying there's currently a lack of attribution?

The example <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Berlin_-_Wikipedia.pdf>
includes a "Wikipedia" wordmark, how do you plan to scale that to all
localised versions of the wordmark and all sister projects?

Once again I recommend to use the global logo for each project if anything.

Nemo

Re: Update to web print styles

Isarra Yos
Are these changes in core, or in the skins themselves (Vector and
Minerva)? In other words, will printing from other deployed skins such
as MonoBook also see improvement, or is it up to the maintainers of each
other skin to independently apply similar changes?

Thanks.

-I

On 03/08/17 20:42, Chris Koerner wrote:

> Wiki articles can be printed by most modern web browsers.The design and
> layout of printed articles by the web browser is controlled via a special
> print style sheet. This is similar to, but not the same as, the "Download
> as PDF" feature, which recently saw a similar update.
>
> Our current print styles have issues printing tables that are common on
> many articles. They also do not contain any reference to the Wikipedia
> brand. The Readers team at the Wikimedia Foundation plans to update these
> print styles with some improvements.
>
> * Book-like styling similar to our current book (PDF) rendering option
> * New layout of article content to reduce paper usage. This can potentially
> reduce the number of pages printed by 20 to 25%.
> * Clear printing of tables and infoboxes
> * Better headings
> * Project-specific branding
>
> We are planning on deploying these styles in August 2017. For a comparison
> of the old print styles and the new, please visit the project page on
> MediaWiki.org. Comments and feedback can be left on the talk page there.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Print_Styles#Desktop_Printing
>
> Yours,
> Chris Koerner
> Community Liaison
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Update to web print styles

Bartosz Dziewoński
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are these changes in core, or in the skins themselves (Vector and
> Minerva)? In other words, will printing from other deployed skins such as
> MonoBook also see improvement, or is it up to the maintainers of each other
> skin to independently apply similar changes?

As far as I know, the big features are only in Vector, but core styles have
also received a few tweaks.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/message:print+(project:mediawiki/core+OR+project:mediawiki/skins/Vector)+is:merged

--
Matma Rex

Re: Update to web print styles

Jon Robson-2
On Wed, Aug 30, 2017, 10:16 AM Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Are these changes in core, or in the skins themselves (Vector and
> > Minerva)? In other words, will printing from other deployed skins such as
> > MonoBook also see improvement, or is it up to the maintainers of each
> other
> > skin to independently apply similar changes?
> >

> As far as I know, the big features are only in Vector, but core styles have
> also received a few tweaks.

Yep that's right. They are also feature flagged. There are also some in
MediaWiki:Print.css

Most of the styles in Vector could be applied to all skins if that's useful
provided they can be overridden  (via getDefaultModules ) but that's not a
priority right now whole we get these tested  and easily done later on.

Minerva doesn't need these styles for instance.

On 30/08/17 17:41, Jon Robson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017, 10:16 AM Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Are these changes in core, or in the skins themselves (Vector and
>>> Minerva)? In other words, will printing from other deployed skins such as
>>> MonoBook also see improvement, or is it up to the maintainers of each
>> other
>>> skin to independently apply similar changes?
>>>
>> As far as I know, the big features are only in Vector, but core styles have
>> also received a few tweaks.
>>
> Yep that's right. They are also feature flagged. There are also some in
> MediaWiki:Print.css
>
> Most of the styles in Vector could be applied to all skins if that's useful
> provided they can be overridden  (via getDefaultModules ) but that's not a
> priority right now whole we get these tested  and easily done later on.
>
> Minerva doesn't need these styles for instance.

An optional core module might be good here - like the external links
one, the ones with all the content object styles, etc.