Upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5

Thomas Cherry
I'm having trouble moving a wiki from mediawiki 1.3.11 and mysql
4.1.10a to mediawiki 1.5.8 and mysql 4.0.25 and I was hopping someone
could help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

On the original server I ran the following command to get my data out
of the database:

#mysqldump --compatible=mysql40 wikidb > dump.sql

On the new server I ran these commands to import the data and update it:

#mysql wikidb < dump.sql
#php update.php

Attached is the output of the update.php command, which looks fine to
me.  However, when I go to the wiki I don't see my pages.  I can find
my data in tables like "cur" so I feel pretty good that the data is
in the database.

Any ideas on where I can go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5

Brion Vibber
Thomas Cherry wrote:

> I'm having trouble moving a wiki from mediawiki 1.3.11 and mysql 4.1.10a
> to mediawiki 1.5.8 and mysql 4.0.25 and I was hopping someone could help
> me figure out what I am doing wrong.
>
> On the original server I ran the following command to get my data out of
> the database:
>
> #mysqldump --compatible=mysql40 wikidb > dump.sql
>
> On the new server I ran these commands to import the data and update it:
>
> #mysql wikidb < dump.sql
> #php update.php
>
> Attached is the output of the update.php command,
Attachments are stripped on this list due to past virus-mail problems.

> which looks fine to
> me.  However, when I go to the wiki I don't see my pages.  I can find my
> data in tables like "cur" so I feel pretty good that the data is in the
> database.

The "cur" table is obsolete and no longer used. Look in 'page', 'revision', and
'text'.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5

Thomas Cherry
I have those tables and they are full of records but still no pages
show up.  Would the output of php update.php help prove anything?

On Apr 3, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Thomas Cherry wrote:
>> I'm having trouble moving a wiki from mediawiki 1.3.11 and mysql
>> 4.1.10a
>> to mediawiki 1.5.8 and mysql 4.0.25 and I was hopping someone
>> could help
>> me figure out what I am doing wrong.
>>
>> On the original server I ran the following command to get my data
>> out of
>> the database:
>>
>> #mysqldump --compatible=mysql40 wikidb > dump.sql
>>
>> On the new server I ran these commands to import the data and
>> update it:
>>
>> #mysql wikidb < dump.sql
>> #php update.php
>>
>> Attached is the output of the update.php command,
>
> Attachments are stripped on this list due to past virus-mail problems.
>
>> which looks fine to
>> me.  However, when I go to the wiki I don't see my pages.  I can
>> find my
>> data in tables like "cur" so I feel pretty good that the data is
>> in the
>> database.
>
> The "cur" table is obsolete and no longer used. Look in 'page',
> 'revision', and
> 'text'.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddys, and kids
with fake IDs. - Homer Simpson

Re: Upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5

Thomas Cherry
Well, I'm really stuck here, I'm not sure how to upgrade wiki to
something newer (like 1.5).

php update.php seams to have worked, in that there were no errors,
but I can't view any of my pages.

On Apr 3, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Thomas Cherry wrote:
>> I'm having trouble moving a wiki from mediawiki 1.3.11 and mysql
>> 4.1.10a
>> to mediawiki 1.5.8 and mysql 4.0.25 and I was hopping someone
>> could help
>> me figure out what I am doing wrong.
>>
>> On the original server I ran the following command to get my data
>> out of
>> the database:
>>
>> #mysqldump --compatible=mysql40 wikidb > dump.sql
>>
>> On the new server I ran these commands to import the data and
>> update it:
>>
>> #mysql wikidb < dump.sql
>> #php update.php
>>
>> Attached is the output of the update.php command,
>
> Attachments are stripped on this list due to past virus-mail problems.
>
>> which looks fine to
>> me.  However, when I go to the wiki I don't see my pages.  I can
>> find my
>> data in tables like "cur" so I feel pretty good that the data is
>> in the
>> database.
>
> The "cur" table is obsolete and no longer used. Look in 'page',
> 'revision', and
> 'text'.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Television - teacher, mother, secret lover! - Homer Simpson

Pages not loading

Thomas Cherry
Has anyone had any problems with pages not loading after updating
mediawiki?

Re: Pages not loading

Rob Church
On 05/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone had any problems with pages not loading after updating
> mediawiki?

Please be much much more specific.

* "Not loading" means what?
* Updating from what to what, and the method used?

Rob Church

Re: Pages not loading

Thomas Cherry
Here is what I have, a database back up from mediawiki 1.3.11 that I
have imported and upgraded (I think) to 1.5.8.  When I look in the
database at the page, revision and text tables I can see that my data
does exist.  However, when I go to the wiki's default page I get the
standard message that the page does not exist and that I can create
one.  I know the wiki sees the data (or at least some of it) in the
database because I can get a list of  pages from one of the special
pages (but now I forget which one).  I feel as if the upgrade process
has missed something but I'm not so good with php as to be able to
track down what's wrong.

On Apr 5, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 05/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has anyone had any problems with pages not loading after updating
>> mediawiki?
>
> Please be much much more specific.
>
> * "Not loading" means what?
> * Updating from what to what, and the method used?
>

> Rob Church

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda, Jedi Master

Re: Pages not loading

Thomas Cherry
I can add some more information (now that I have the server in front
of me), the special page "New pages" lists all my pages (177 of them)
but all of the links on this list that I have checked display the
"There is currently no text in this page" message.

I don't know the schema of the database so I'm not sure how to go
about proving that the upgrade correctly worked.  I can say that the
page table does not have any of my documents in it.  Cur does but I
was told that this table was depreciated.

On Apr 5, 2006, at 10:31 PM, Thomas Cherry wrote:

> Here is what I have, a database back up from mediawiki 1.3.11 that I
> have imported and upgraded (I think) to 1.5.8.  When I look in the
> database at the page, revision and text tables I can see that my data
> does exist.  However, when I go to the wiki's default page I get the
> standard message that the page does not exist and that I can create
> one.  I know the wiki sees the data (or at least some of it) in the
> database because I can get a list of  pages from one of the special
> pages (but now I forget which one).  I feel as if the upgrade process
> has missed something but I'm not so good with php as to be able to
> track down what's wrong.
>
> On Apr 5, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Rob Church wrote:
>
>> On 05/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Has anyone had any problems with pages not loading after updating
>>> mediawiki?
>>
>> Please be much much more specific.
>>
>> * "Not loading" means what?
>> * Updating from what to what, and the method used?
>>

>> Rob Church

> Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda, Jedi Master

Lisa: It's programmed to eliminate the competition
Bart: like Microsoft?
Lisa: Exactly!

Re: Pages not loading

Rob Church
On 06/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know the schema of the database so I'm not sure how to go
> about proving that the upgrade correctly worked.  I can say that the
> page table does not have any of my documents in it.  Cur does but I
> was told that this table was depreciated.

The cur table will be ignored in MediaWiki 1.5.0 and above. The page
table is blank? Did you run the update script? Did any errors present
themselves?

Rob Church

Re: Pages not loading

Thomas Cherry
Well, the table is not empty but it does not have any of my pages in
it.  I ran the update many times both through the browser and the
command line.  No errors.  I can send the results if you want.

I was able to upgrade to 1.4.15 but when I tried to go from 1.4 to
1.5 I got the same results.

On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 06/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't know the schema of the database so I'm not sure how to go
>> about proving that the upgrade correctly worked.  I can say that the
>> page table does not have any of my documents in it.  Cur does but I
>> was told that this table was depreciated.
>
> The cur table will be ignored in MediaWiki 1.5.0 and above. The page
> table is blank? Did you run the update script? Did any errors present
> themselves?
>

> Rob Church

"Barney you have to be sober to fly a helicopter, it's not like
driving a car." -Homer Simpson

Re: Pages not loading

Rob Church
On 06/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, the table is not empty but it does not have any of my pages in
> it.  I ran the update many times both through the browser and the
> command line.  No errors.  I can send the results if you want.

Restore the database from a backup (back to a clean state) and re-run
the updater from the command line, then pastebin the output and send
us the URL.

Rob Church

Re: Pages not loading

Thomas Cherry
Here is what I have done:
1. Restore database from 1.3
2. Update to 1.4
3. Attempted update to 1.5, see output below

# php upgrade1_5.php
2006-04-07 11:59:08: Checking cur table for unique title index and
applying if necessary
wikidb: cur table has the old non-unique index and may have duplicate
entries.
A database error has occurred
Query: LOCK TABLES `cur` WRITE, `old` WRITE
Function:
Error: 1044 Access denied for user: 'wikiuser@localhost' to database
'wikidb' (localhost)

Backtrace:
GlobalFunctions.php line 450 calls wfbacktrace()
Database.php line 397 calls wfdebugdiebacktrace()
Database.php line 347 calls databasemysql::reportqueryerror()
cleanupDupes.inc line 32 calls databasemysql::query()
cleanupDupes.inc line 126 calls fixdupes()
FiveUpgrade.inc line 334 calls checkdupes()
FiveUpgrade.inc line 49 calls fiveupgrade::upgradepage()
upgrade1_5.php line 22 calls fiveupgrade::upgrade()

so then I granted the wiki user lock_tables_priv and ran the command
again and got this:

# php upgrade1_5.php
2006-04-07 12:06:45: Checking cur table for unique title index and
applying if necessary
wikidb: cur table has the old non-unique index and may have duplicate
entries.
A database error has occurred
Query: LOCK TABLES `cur` WRITE, `old` WRITE
Function:
Error: 1044 Access denied for user: 'wikiuser@localhost' to database
'wikidb' (localhost)

Backtrace:
GlobalFunctions.php line 450 calls wfbacktrace()
Database.php line 397 calls wfdebugdiebacktrace()
Database.php line 347 calls databasemysql::reportqueryerror()
cleanupDupes.inc line 32 calls databasemysql::query()
cleanupDupes.inc line 126 calls fixdupes()
FiveUpgrade.inc line 334 calls checkdupes()
FiveUpgrade.inc line 49 calls fiveupgrade::upgradepage()
upgrade1_5.php line 22 calls fiveupgrade::upgrade()

I have no url, wiki is behind corporate fire wall.

On Apr 6, 2006, at 3:22 PM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 06/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, the table is not empty but it does not have any of my pages in
>> it.  I ran the update many times both through the browser and the
>> command line.  No errors.  I can send the results if you want.
>
> Restore the database from a backup (back to a clean state) and re-run
> the updater from the command line, then pastebin the output and send
> us the URL.
>

> Rob Church
Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's
even remotely true. - Homer Simpson

Re: Pages not loading

Rob Church
On 07/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> so then I granted the wiki user lock_tables_priv and ran the command
> again and got this:
>
> Error: 1044 Access denied for user: 'wikiuser@localhost' to database
> 'wikidb' (localhost)

Check the database username and password in AdminSettings.php are
pointing to a user with sufficient permissions on the database. Grant
that user full permissions to see if something's missing.

Rob Church

Re: Pages not loading

Thomas Cherry
Yes, that worked (sort of).  I finally got everything up and
running.  The update script was not using the settings in
AdminSettings.php (don't know why), so I set the database user in
LocalSettings.php to a more powerful user (root) and that worked.
Thanks for all your help.

On Apr 7, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 07/04/06, Thomas Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> so then I granted the wiki user lock_tables_priv and ran the command
>> again and got this:
>>
>> Error: 1044 Access denied for user: 'wikiuser@localhost' to database
>> 'wikidb' (localhost)
>
> Check the database username and password in AdminSettings.php are
> pointing to a user with sufficient permissions on the database. Grant
> that user full permissions to see if something's missing.
>

> Rob Church

Donuts. Is there anything they can't do? - Homer Simpsons