Upload large files

Magnus Manske
I've found some nice classical ogg files online (CC-BY-SA-2.0). However,
some are larger than 20 MB. Uploading those leads me back to a blank
upload page, without comment or error. 20MB seems to be a magical limt
for PHP.

Is there a way to bypass that limit? I'd hate to have to cut perfectly
good ogg files.

Magnus

Re: Upload large files

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Magnus Manske wrote:
> I've found some nice classical ogg files online (CC-BY-SA-2.0).
> However, some are larger than 20 MB. Uploading those leads me back to
> a blank upload page, without comment or error. 20MB seems to be a
> magical limt for PHP.
>
> Is there a way to bypass that limit? I'd hate to have to cut
> perfectly good ogg files.

According to my PHP manual, Chapter 38 (Handling file uploads):

> Related Configurations Note: See also the file_uploads, upload_max_filesize,
> upload_tmp_dir, post_max_size and max_input_time directives in php.ini

where

> upload_max_filesize integer
>
> The maximum size of an uploaded file.
>
> When an integer is used, the value is measured in bytes. You may also
> use shorthand notation as described in this FAQ.

and the FAQ says

> 16.  A few PHP directives may also take on shorthand byte values, as
> opposed to only integer byte values. What are all the available
> shorthand byte options? And can I use these outside of php.ini?
>
> The available options are K (for Kilobytes), M (for Megabytes) and G
> (for Gigabytes; available since PHP 5.1.0), these are case
> insensitive. Anything else assumes bytes. 1M equals one Megabyte or
> 1048576 bytes. 1K equals one Kilobyte or 1024 bytes. You may not use
> these shorthand notations outside of php.ini, instead use an integer
> value of bytes. See the ini_get() documentation for an example on how
> to convert these values.
Now, unless there's a hard limit of 20MB that's not documented in the
manual...

Re: Upload large files

will-37
Quoting Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>:

> I've found some nice classical ogg files online (CC-BY-SA-2.0). However,
> some are larger than 20 MB. Uploading those leads me back to a blank
> upload page, without comment or error. 20MB seems to be a magical limt
> for PHP.
>
> Is there a way to bypass that limit? I'd hate to have to cut perfectly
> good ogg files.
>
> Magnus

In PHP the php.ini file has a  configurable limit called upload_max_filesize.

It is possible this is configured to 20 Mb on the server.

Will

Re: Upload large files

Brianna Laugher
Yep, I'm pretty sure 20mb is the magic limit set by Brion et al.

Hey, it used to be 8mb :P and I think it might still be, on en.wp.

Brianna

> Quoting Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I've found some nice classical ogg files online (CC-BY-SA-2.0). However,
> > some are larger than 20 MB. Uploading those leads me back to a blank
> > upload page, without comment or error. 20MB seems to be a magical limt
> > for PHP.
> >
> > Is there a way to bypass that limit? I'd hate to have to cut perfectly
> > good ogg files.
> >
> > Magnus
> >

> In PHP the php.ini file has a  configurable limit called upload_max_filesize.
>
> It is possible this is configured to 20 Mb on the server.
>
> Will

Re: Upload large files

Gregory Maxwell
On 8/21/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yep, I'm pretty sure 20mb is the magic limit set by Brion et al.
>
> Hey, it used to be 8mb :P and I think it might still be, on en.wp.

The mediawiki set limit gets you a nice rejection screen.

20 meg sound like the php default for posts if you don't change the
config. Is our web server setup script slacking?