Uploading files beyond the size limit

Erik Moeller-4
Those who have a need to  upload files beyond the current size limit
may now contact me by e-mail to do so. I have set up an FTP server
where these files can be uploaded, and will transfer them manually to
the Wikimedia servers using my shell account. However, I'm currently
only handing out the FTP access data on request.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

SJ-5
Could we double the size limit?  That would be most helpful for some
rich media files.

SJ

> Those who have a need to  upload files beyond the current size limit
> may now contact me by e-mail to do so. I have set up an FTP server
> where these files can be uploaded, and will transfer them manually to
> the Wikimedia servers using my shell account. However, I'm currently
> only handing out the FTP access data on request.
>
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
>
> DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
> in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
> position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

++SJ

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

Oldak
On 14/11/06, SJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could we double the size limit?  That would be most helpful for some
> rich media files.

I've been wanting this for quite a while. We are having trouble with
some audio and many video files at the current limit.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

Magnus Manske-2
> Those who have a need to  upload files beyond the current size limit
> may now contact me by e-mail to do so. I have set up an FTP server
> where these files can be uploaded, and will transfer them manually to
> the Wikimedia servers using my shell account. However, I'm currently
> only handing out the FTP access data on request.

I once wrote a function for the upload page where you upload a file by
giving its URL. There were some security concerns about malicious
servers, which I think I fixed, but then, as usual, nothing happened.

Should still be in there, for anyone interested. Lemme see... ah yes;
set $wgAllowCopyUploads=true in LocalSettings, and be done with it.

Magnus

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

David Gerard-2
On 14/11/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I once wrote a function for the upload page where you upload a file by
> giving its URL. There were some security concerns about malicious
> servers, which I think I fixed, but then, as usual, nothing happened.
> Should still be in there, for anyone interested. Lemme see... ah yes;
> set $wgAllowCopyUploads=true in LocalSettings, and be done with it.

I shudder at the thought of this being enabled on Commons unless such
uploads are somehow marked for particular urgent attention - it sounds
like an even easier way to upload copyright violations. If such
uploads are marked and auto-categorised, it might be manageable.

(After all my whining on this list, I'm going to have to start looking
for and tagging Commons copyvios myself and then applying for admin
...)

- d.

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

Magnus Manske-2

> On 14/11/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I once wrote a function for the upload page where you upload a file by
> > giving its URL. There were some security concerns about malicious
> > servers, which I think I fixed, but then, as usual, nothing happened.
> > Should still be in there, for anyone interested. Lemme see... ah yes;
> > set $wgAllowCopyUploads=true in LocalSettings, and be done with it.
>

> I shudder at the thought of this being enabled on Commons unless such
> uploads are somehow marked for particular urgent attention - it sounds
> like an even easier way to upload copyright violations. If such
> uploads are marked and auto-categorised, it might be manageable.

When I was working on this, it was suggested that it should
automatically add the source URL to the image description (unless it
is already given in there). It could also add "[[category:URL
uploads]]" or the like.
With the source URL given, it would actually be *easier* to find
copyvios, as one knows exactly where it came from, unlike the current
system.

> (After all my whining on this list, I'm going to have to start looking
> for and tagging Commons copyvios myself and then applying for admin

Good luck with that. Myself, I'll stay with my tools and programming
languages - they're much easier to decipher than copyright law ;-)

Magnus

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

Gregory Maxwell
> I shudder at the thought of this being enabled on Commons unless such
> uploads are somehow marked for particular urgent attention - it sounds
> like an even easier way to upload copyright violations. If such
> uploads are marked and auto-categorised, it might be manageable.

More data = better. Force the edit summary to include the URL and then
I could only hope that all copyvios get uploaded that way!

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

On 14/11/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I was working on this, it was suggested that it should
> automatically add the source URL to the image description (unless it
> is already given in there). It could also add "[[category:URL
> uploads]]" or the like.
> With the source URL given, it would actually be *easier* to find
> copyvios, as one knows exactly where it came from, unlike the current
> system.

:-D Now that, I like!

- d.

Re: Uploading files beyond the size limit

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
David Gerard wrote:

> On 14/11/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I once wrote a function for the upload page where you upload a file by
>> giving its URL. There were some security concerns about malicious
>> servers, which I think I fixed, but then, as usual, nothing happened.
>> Should still be in there, for anyone interested. Lemme see... ah yes;
>> set $wgAllowCopyUploads=true in LocalSettings, and be done with it.
>

> I shudder at the thought of this being enabled on Commons unless such
> uploads are somehow marked for particular urgent attention - it sounds
> like an even easier way to upload copyright violations.

Amongst my rights in the database:

<r>import</r>
<r>upload</r>
<r>upload_by_url</r>

Import and upload by URL are both admin-only AFAICT, and neither are
enabled.