Uploads over 1MB refused by toolserver

Ryan Kaldari
I seems that I can't get the toolserver to accept any uploads larger than 1MB. I have a web application running on nightshade that has both an HTML upload form and a Flash upload form, both of which upload files to /mnt/user-store/contests/. I have my PHP limits set to the following in an .htaccess file:

php_value upload_max_filesize 20M
php_value post_max_size 20M
php_value max_execution_time 1200
php_value max_input_time 1200
php_value memory_limit 20M

Whenever I try to upload a file that is over 1MB (even 1.1MB), from either the HTML upload form or the Flash interface, it either gives me a 413 server error or the connection to the server is reset. A 413 error means that the HTTP data stream sent by the client was too large for the server. Files that are less than 1MB always work fine. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Ryan Kaldari

Re: Uploads over 1MB refused by toolserver

Ryan Kaldari
Does anyone have any idea what else I can try to work around this problem? I'm doing a presentation of this tool at Wikimania in a couple weeks and then it will be used for a major event in Montreal a few weeks after that.

It was working fine in January. People uploaded dozens of 3 and 4 MB files with no problems, but now it won't allow anything larger than 1 MB. I haven't changed any of the uploading code since then.

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

Ryan Kaldari

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jan Luca
Hi,

maybe you should try using the ini_set function of PHP (at the start of the
main file) to set the PHP options:

ini_set( "upload_max_filesize", "20M" );
ini_set( "post_max_size", "20M" );
ini_set( "max_execution_time", "1200" );
ini_set( "max_input_time", "1200" );
ini_set( "memory_limit", "20M" );

Best regards,
Jan

---------------

Re: Uploads over 1MB refused by toolserver

Ryan Kaldari
Apache apparently limits HTTP requests to 2 GBs by default, but I have
no idea what the default for ZWS is. I can hardly imagine it would be
1 MB though. Perhaps someone has misconfigured it. The config variable
in Apache is called LimitRequestBody, and since ZWS generally imitates
Apache, I imagine it is the same variable. Could someone check the ZWS
configs to see what it is currently set to?

Ryan Kaldari

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried this but both of the forms still return the "413 Request Entity Too
> Large" error when I try to upload anything larger than 1 MB. This seems to
> be an HTTP issue rather than a PHP issue as the error is not coming from
> PHP. Can other people upload files on nightshade via web forms that are
> larger than 1 MB?
> Ryan Kaldari
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Jan Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> maybe you should try using the ini_set function of PHP (at the start of
>> the
>> main file) to set the PHP options:
>>
>> ini_set( "upload_max_filesize", "20M" );
>> ini_set( "post_max_size", "20M" );
>> ini_set( "max_execution_time", "1200" );
>> ini_set( "max_input_time", "1200" );
>> ini_set( "memory_limit", "20M" );
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jan
>>
>> ---------------

Actually it looks like ZWS uses a GUI configuration interface. To limit how large HTTP requests can be, you click the "Request Filtering" link in the global settings page menu and then you configure the maximum POST body size in bytes. Perhaps someone mistakenly entered a number for kilobytes instead of bytes. Can someone report what this value is currently set to? Thanks!

Ryan Kaldari

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apache apparently limits HTTP requests to 2 GBs by default, but I have
no idea what the default for ZWS is. I can hardly imagine it would be
1 MB though. Perhaps someone has misconfigured it. The config variable
in Apache is called LimitRequestBody, and since ZWS generally imitates
Apache, I imagine it is the same variable. Could someone check the ZWS
configs to see what it is currently set to?

Ryan Kaldari

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried this but both of the forms still return the "413 Request Entity Too
> Large" error when I try to upload anything larger than 1 MB. This seems to
> be an HTTP issue rather than a PHP issue as the error is not coming from
> PHP. Can other people upload files on nightshade via web forms that are
> larger than 1 MB?
> Ryan Kaldari
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Jan Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> maybe you should try using the ini_set function of PHP (at the start of
>> the
>> main file) to set the PHP options:
>>
>> ini_set( "upload_max_filesize", "20M" );
>> ini_set( "post_max_size", "20M" );
>> ini_set( "max_execution_time", "1200" );
>> ini_set( "max_input_time", "1200" );
>> ini_set( "memory_limit", "20M" );
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jan
>>
>> ---------------

you can try using Apache: https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Apache_testing

Best regards,
Jan

----------------
Actually it looks like ZWS uses a GUI configuration interface. To limit how
large HTTP requests can be, you click the "Request Filtering" link in the
global settings page menu and then you configure the maximum POST body size
in bytes. Perhaps someone mistakenly entered a number for kilobytes instead
of bytes. Can someone report what this value is currently set to? Thanks!

Ryan Kaldari
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apache apparently limits HTTP requests to 2 GBs by default, but I have
no idea what the default for ZWS is. I can hardly imagine it would be
1 MB though. Perhaps someone has misconfigured it. The config variable
in Apache is called LimitRequestBody, and since ZWS generally imitates
Apache, I imagine it is the same variable. Could someone check the ZWS
configs to see what it is currently set to?

Ryan Kaldari

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried this but both of the forms still return the "413 Request Entity
Too

> Large" error when I try to upload anything larger than 1 MB. This seems to
> be an HTTP issue rather than a PHP issue as the error is not coming from
> PHP. Can other people upload files on nightshade via web forms that are
> larger than 1 MB?
> Ryan Kaldari
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Jan Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> maybe you should try using the ini_set function of PHP (at the start of
>> the
>> main file) to set the PHP options:
>>
>> ini_set( "upload_max_filesize", "20M" );
>> ini_set( "post_max_size", "20M" );
>> ini_set( "max_execution_time", "1200" );
>> ini_set( "max_input_time", "1200" );
>> ini_set( "memory_limit", "20M" );
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jan

Matias-15

Ryan try with a JIRA request for the info you want to check