Useless "developers"

Servien Ilaino
Sorry to say, but these developers are kind of useless, aren't developers
supposed to "develop"... I haven't seen a new wiki for ages, no reactions
from developers or whatever at all!

Why does it say "an open encyclopedia in every language" this is supposed to
be "an open encyclopedia in every language which is currently created,
because developers don't want to setup any new ones, and requests are
pilling!!"

Desde,
Servien

Original:

Please start the new year with a new wikipedia, we are all so sick of
waiting for the creation of these wikipedia's... there hasn't been a
single "recent new wiki". The last must have been about 3 months back
or so...

There are ones with official ISO codes. Don't disappoint us in this
new year. We'd all like to get the wiki's started and going! So mark
this as URGENT in your diary.

Details can be found
on:http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages

Official ISO code:2.1.1 Nedersaksisch/Dutch Low Saxon (22 support; 3
oppose [thereof 2
anon votes])2.1.2 Vlax Romany (11 support, 1 oppose [anonymous])2.1.3
West Flemish (15 support, 1 object)2.1.4 Ligurian (16 support thereof
5 native speakers, 3 oppose)

Non-official2.2.1 Samogitian (Žemaitėška) (11)2.2.2 Banyumasan
(8)2.2.3 Ripuarian (19 support [thereof 3 anonymus votes]; 2
oppose)2.2.4 Pennsylvania German (17 support; 1 oppose)

Regards,
Servien Ilaino

Re: Useless "developers"

Brion Vibber
Servien Ilaino wrote:
> Sorry to say, but these developers are kind of useless, aren't developers
> supposed to "develop"... I haven't seen a new wiki for ages, no reactions
> from developers or whatever at all!

The Wikimedia Foundation board has refused to endorse the proposed policy for
new language additions, so things are pretty much frozen until someone clarifies
who has authority to do what and when.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Useless "developers"

Rob Church
Let me let you into a secret. Wikimedia's developers, like any others,
don't respond at all well to childish demands, incivility and insults,
unclear "orders" or "instructions" or unreasonable stupidity.

To request the creation of a new wiki, open a new feature request on
BugZilla with the product and other variables set accordingly, give us
the name of said wiki, and point us to (a) a page on Meta where there
is consensus for the creation and (b) a list of pages to be moved over
from another project, if applicable.

Rob Church

On 07/01/06, Servien Ilaino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry to say, but these developers are kind of useless, aren't developers
> supposed to "develop"... I haven't seen a new wiki for ages, no reactions
> from developers or whatever at all!
>
> Why does it say "an open encyclopedia in every language" this is supposed to
> be "an open encyclopedia in every language which is currently created,
> because developers don't want to setup any new ones, and requests are
> pilling!!"
>
> Desde,
> Servien
>
> Original:
>
> Please start the new year with a new wikipedia, we are all so sick of
> waiting for the creation of these wikipedia's... there hasn't been a
> single "recent new wiki". The last must have been about 3 months back
> or so...
>
> There are ones with official ISO codes. Don't disappoint us in this
> new year. We'd all like to get the wiki's started and going! So mark
> this as URGENT in your diary.
>
> Details can be found
> on:http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Approved_requests_for_new_languages
>
> Official ISO code:2.1.1 Nedersaksisch/Dutch Low Saxon (22 support; 3
> oppose [thereof 2
> anon votes])2.1.2 Vlax Romany (11 support, 1 oppose [anonymous])2.1.3
> West Flemish (15 support, 1 object)2.1.4 Ligurian (16 support thereof
> 5 native speakers, 3 oppose)
>
> Non-official2.2.1 Samogitian (Žemaitėška) (11)2.2.2 Banyumasan
> (8)2.2.3 Ripuarian (19 support [thereof 3 anonymus votes]; 2
> oppose)2.2.4 Pennsylvania German (17 support; 1 oppose)
>
> Regards,
> Servien Ilaino

Re: Useless "developers"

Domas Mituzas
Hi!!!!

> Sorry to say, but these developers are kind of useless, aren't
> developers
> supposed to "develop"... I haven't seen a new wiki for ages, no
> reactions
> from developers or whatever at all!

For 'business' development contact foundation list or board or whatever.

For IT development progress:

http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-cvs/2006-January/
thread.html
http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-cvs/2005-December/
thread.html
https://wikitech.leuksman.com/view/Server_admin_log

And, I'm absolutely happy when developers are lazy and have some
rest. :-)

Cheers,
Domas

Re: Useless "developers"

Angela-5
> The Wikimedia Foundation board has refused to endorse the proposed policy for
> new language additions, so things are pretty much frozen until someone clarifies
> who has authority to do what and when.

"They" have also not opposed the policy, so wouldn't the previous
situation, where the creation of a new wiki was up to whoever had the
server access necessary to do this as long as it met some sort of
community approval (which the proposed policy can be assumed to have),
carry on until the Board objects to it?

Angela

Re: Useless "developers"

Daniel Mayer
--- Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Servien Ilaino wrote:
> > Sorry to say, but these developers are kind of useless, aren't developers
> > supposed to "develop"... I haven't seen a new wiki for ages, no reactions
> > from developers or whatever at all!
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation board has refused to endorse the proposed policy for
> new language additions, so things are pretty much frozen until someone clarifies
> who has authority to do what and when.

Also, simply having an ISO code is not enough justification to have a separate wiki. Our goal is
to create encyclopedias in every language for the purpose of enabling reading and understanding.

Many ISO codes are for mutually intelligible dialects that should not have separate wikis. Even
having different scripts between dialects is not always a reason to have separate wikis since we
have the ability to convert scripts on the fly.

A much better policy needs to be created that takes this into account.

BTW, the developers are most useful and greatly appreciated. Without them we would have no
software and the servers would bog down and become useless. Developing != creating.

-- mav

Re: Useless "developers"

Sam Korn
On 1/7/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A much better policy needs to be created that takes this into account.

Preferably a much better and *retroactive* policy.

--
Sam

Re: Useless "developers"

Servien Ilaino
I'm sure they are usefull for developing software. But most people who've
requested a wiki are kind of getting tired of waiting all the time. First
they have to go through a long boring process which can take up to even half
a year before they are approved when it's approved they wait about another
half a year... by that time most people who initially wanted to work on the
project decided not to anymore.

If someone would have told us the whole blikketyblek is frozen, we would
have had some kind of understanding. ISO codes aren't enoug: these wikis
have been approved this means there have been serious discussions.

I really hope a new wiki will be created this year though. (if possible)

Serv

2006/1/8, Sam Korn <[hidden email]>:

> On 1/7/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > A much better policy needs to be created that takes this into account.
>
> Preferably a much better and *retroactive* policy.
>
> --
> Sam

Re: Useless "developers"

Gerard Meijssen-3
Daniel Mayer wrote:

> --- Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Servien Ilaino wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry to say, but these developers are kind of useless, aren't developers
>>> supposed to "develop"... I haven't seen a new wiki for ages, no reactions
>>> from developers or whatever at all!
>>>
>> The Wikimedia Foundation board has refused to endorse the proposed policy for
>> new language additions, so things are pretty much frozen until someone clarifies
>> who has authority to do what and when.
>>

> Also, simply having an ISO code is not enough justification to have a separate wiki. Our goal is
> to create encyclopedias in every language for the purpose of enabling reading and understanding.

I take it you refer to the ISO-639 codes. Glibly assuming that it is
"understood" what a language is is giving the lively discussions that we
have had not really helpful. It is also painfully clear that what IS a
language is often denied on political grounds. When you re-read the
discussions about Andalusian you have a good example for this. The
difference between Castillian and Andalusian is not really different
from what are accepted languages associated with Spain. Then again this
is a linguistic not a political reality.
> Many ISO codes are for mutually intelligible dialects that should not have separate wikis. Even
> having different scripts between dialects is not always a reason to have separate wikis since we
> have the ability to convert scripts on the fly.

"We have the technology" means little if you do not have the content to
do just this. We are able to do this at present is for a language where
the written language is divorced from the spoken language. When you say;
mutually intelligible you have to appreciate that many people who live
in the Netherlands can with some difficulty and a lot of good will
understand what Germans say. From that perspective we do not need a
German Wikipedia as the Dutch Wikipedia would be adequate ??
> A much better policy needs to be created that takes this into account.

As the facts as you put them are disputed themselves, how do you want to
build a policy on that. What is your point in being restrictive when it
comes to languages that are not important to you but where people have a
passion for their language ??
> BTW, the developers are most useful and greatly appreciated. Without them we would have no
> software and the servers would bog down and become useless. Developing != creating.
>
> -- mav

Thanks,
   GerardM

Re: Useless "developers"

M. Williamson
Servien,

When new Wikipedias have been created in the past, it wasn't because
we called the developers names or resorted to other such childish
tactics.

It is because we were patient, treated them with respect, asked kindly
and in a personal way, and didn't pout if they didn't give us what we
asked for _right away_.

If I had acted like you are right now in advocating for their
creation, I'm betting we wouldn't have the Udmurt, Venet, Lombard,
etc. Wikipedias.

So take my advice and take it down a notch. Take a chill pill. You're
not going to die if these Wikipedias aren't created immediately. You
have to be patient. The developers are your friends.

They are on a busy schedule, and remember that it is a volunteer job
and they aren't paid except by donations (with one exception). The
developers have to worry about "real" jobs, school, family, and every
other concern of normal human beings because after all, they _are_
normal human beings (a developer can correct me if I'm wrong there).

So give them a break. If you do, the Wikipedias will be created
eventually. If you don't, it will never be created.

Mark

On 08/01/06, Servien Ilaino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm sure they are usefull for developing software. But most people who've
> requested a wiki are kind of getting tired of waiting all the time. First
> they have to go through a long boring process which can take up to even half
> a year before they are approved when it's approved they wait about another
> half a year... by that time most people who initially wanted to work on the
> project decided not to anymore.
>
> If someone would have told us the whole blikketyblek is frozen, we would
> have had some kind of understanding. ISO codes aren't enoug: these wikis
> have been approved this means there have been serious discussions.
>
> I really hope a new wiki will be created this year though. (if possible)
>
> Serv
>

> 2006/1/8, Sam Korn <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > On 1/7/06, Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > A much better policy needs to be created that takes this into account.
> >
> > Preferably a much better and *retroactive* policy.
> >
> > --
> > Sam

"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Useless "developers"

Servien Ilaino
Thanks for your comments... but I got the message, besides it wasn't
"childish" in my opinion, it was meant to get a reaction for once,
apparently this is what it takes :(. I took my chill pills, so we'll see
when it all happens :)

Serv

2006/1/8, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]>:

> Servien,
>
> When new Wikipedias have been created in the past, it wasn't because
> we called the developers names or resorted to other such childish
> tactics.
>
> It is because we were patient, treated them with respect, asked kindly
> and in a personal way, and didn't pout if they didn't give us what we
> asked for _right away_.
>
> If I had acted like you are right now in advocating for their
> creation, I'm betting we wouldn't have the Udmurt, Venet, Lombard,
> etc. Wikipedias.
>
> So take my advice and take it down a notch. Take a chill pill. You're
> not going to die if these Wikipedias aren't created immediately. You
> have to be patient. The developers are your friends.
>
> They are on a busy schedule, and remember that it is a volunteer job
> and they aren't paid except by donations (with one exception). The
> developers have to worry about "real" jobs, school, family, and every
> other concern of normal human beings because after all, they _are_
> normal human beings (a developer can correct me if I'm wrong there).
>
> So give them a break. If you do, the Wikipedias will be created
> eventually. If you don't, it will never be created.
>
> Mark
>
> On 08/01/06, Servien Ilaino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm sure they are usefull for developing software. But most people
> who've
> > requested a wiki are kind of getting tired of waiting all the time.
> First
> > they have to go through a long boring process which can take up to even
> half
> > a year before they are approved when it's approved they wait about
> another
> > half a year... by that time most people who initially wanted to work on
> the
> > project decided not to anymore.
> >
> > If someone would have told us the whole blikketyblek is frozen, we would
> > have had some kind of understanding. ISO codes aren't enoug: these wikis
> > have been approved this means there have been serious discussions.
> >
> > I really hope a new wiki will be created this year though. (if possible)
> >
> > Serv

> account.
> > >
> > > Preferably a much better and *retroactive* policy.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sam

> "Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Useless "developers"

Quistnix
I think Servien is frustrated by the fact that nds.wikipedia is
effectively taken over by German nationalists who have succeeded
in making people write a language spoken in parts of four countries,
using grammatic rules and conventions from only one. the fact that
the majority of the people writing in nds: lives in Germany was
abused to vote to make it a "democratic" decision.

Anton

Servien Ilaino wrote:

> Thanks for your comments... but I got the message, besides it wasn't
> "childish" in my opinion, it was meant to get a reaction for once,
> apparently this is what it takes :(. I took my chill pills, so we'll see
> when it all happens :)
>
> Serv
>

> 2006/1/8, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]>:
>
>>Servien,
>>
>>When new Wikipedias have been created in the past, it wasn't because
>>we called the developers names or resorted to other such childish
>>tactics.
>>
>>It is because we were patient, treated them with respect, asked kindly
>>and in a personal way, and didn't pout if they didn't give us what we
>>asked for _right away_.
>>
>>If I had acted like you are right now in advocating for their
>>creation, I'm betting we wouldn't have the Udmurt, Venet, Lombard,
>>etc. Wikipedias.
>>
>>So take my advice and take it down a notch. Take a chill pill. You're
>>not going to die if these Wikipedias aren't created immediately. You
>>have to be patient. The developers are your friends.
>>
>>They are on a busy schedule, and remember that it is a volunteer job
>>and they aren't paid except by donations (with one exception). The
>>developers have to worry about "real" jobs, school, family, and every
>>other concern of normal human beings because after all, they _are_
>>normal human beings (a developer can correct me if I'm wrong there).
>>
>>So give them a break. If you do, the Wikipedias will be created
>>eventually. If you don't, it will never be created.
>>
>>Mark
>>
>>On 08/01/06, Servien Ilaino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm sure they are usefull for developing software. But most people
>>
>>who've
>>
>>>requested a wiki are kind of getting tired of waiting all the time.
>>
>>First
>>
>>>they have to go through a long boring process which can take up to even
>>
>>half
>>
>>>a year before they are approved when it's approved they wait about
>>
>>another
>>
>>>half a year... by that time most people who initially wanted to work on
>>
>>the
>>
>>>project decided not to anymore.
>>>
>>>If someone would have told us the whole blikketyblek is frozen, we would
>>>have had some kind of understanding. ISO codes aren't enoug: these wikis
>>>have been approved this means there have been serious discussions.
>>>
>>>I really hope a new wiki will be created this year though. (if possible)
>>>
>>>Serv

>>account.

Re: Useless "developers"

Servien Ilaino
Inderdaad Quistnix, ik laat me de laatste tijd niet van m'n beste kant zien
maar zal m'n leven (proberen te) beteren (bewerkingsoorlog, ontwikkelaars
uitmaken voor waardeloze lui, maar goed ik heb ik in ieder geval een
reactie, nu weet ik waar ik zo'n beetje aan toe ben.)

Serv

2006/1/8, Quistnix <[hidden email]>:

> I think Servien is frustrated by the fact that nds.wikipedia is
> effectively taken over by German nationalists who have succeeded
> in making people write a language spoken in parts of four countries,
> using grammatic rules and conventions from only one. the fact that
> the majority of the people writing in nds: lives in Germany was
> abused to vote to make it a "democratic" decision.
>
> Anton
>

> Servien Ilaino wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your comments... but I got the message, besides it wasn't
> > "childish" in my opinion, it was meant to get a reaction for once,
> > apparently this is what it takes :(. I took my chill pills, so we'll see
> > when it all happens :)
> >
> > Serv
> >

> > 2006/1/8, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >>Servien,
> >>
> >>When new Wikipedias have been created in the past, it wasn't because
> >>we called the developers names or resorted to other such childish
> >>tactics.
> >>
> >>It is because we were patient, treated them with respect, asked kindly
> >>and in a personal way, and didn't pout if they didn't give us what we
> >>asked for _right away_.
> >>
> >>If I had acted like you are right now in advocating for their
> >>creation, I'm betting we wouldn't have the Udmurt, Venet, Lombard,
> >>etc. Wikipedias.
> >>
> >>So take my advice and take it down a notch. Take a chill pill. You're
> >>not going to die if these Wikipedias aren't created immediately. You
> >>have to be patient. The developers are your friends.
> >>
> >>They are on a busy schedule, and remember that it is a volunteer job
> >>and they aren't paid except by donations (with one exception). The
> >>developers have to worry about "real" jobs, school, family, and every
> >>other concern of normal human beings because after all, they _are_
> >>normal human beings (a developer can correct me if I'm wrong there).
> >>
> >>So give them a break. If you do, the Wikipedias will be created
> >>eventually. If you don't, it will never be created.
> >>
> >>Mark

> >>who've

> >>First

> >>half

> >>another

> >>the

> would
> wikis

> possible)

> >>account.

Re: Useless "developers"

Florence Devouard-3
Quistnix wrote:
> I think Servien is frustrated by the fact that nds.wikipedia is
> effectively taken over by German nationalists who have succeeded
> in making people write a language spoken in parts of four countries,
> using grammatic rules and conventions from only one. the fact that
> the majority of the people writing in nds: lives in Germany was
> abused to vote to make it a "democratic" decision.
>
> Anton

Let me add a little secret. Most of our developers are very careful of
staying out of political issues.
Mentioning that the set up of a wiki *might* cause an uproar amongst
editors, whatever the reason (constructed language, nationalism,
dialect) will somehow launch a big warning flag... and is likely to slow
down even more the creation.

Wiki way :-)

Cheers up, developers are your friends

ant

> Servien Ilaino wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your comments... but I got the message, besides it wasn't
>> "childish" in my opinion, it was meant to get a reaction for once,
>> apparently this is what it takes :(. I took my chill pills, so we'll see
>> when it all happens :)
>>
>> Serv
>>

>> 2006/1/8, Mark Williamson
>> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Servien,
>>>
>>> When new Wikipedias have been created in the past, it wasn't because
>>> we called the developers names or resorted to other such childish
>>> tactics.
>>>
>>> It is because we were patient, treated them with respect, asked kindly
>>> and in a personal way, and didn't pout if they didn't give us what we
>>> asked for _right away_.
>>>
>>> If I had acted like you are right now in advocating for their
>>> creation, I'm betting we wouldn't have the Udmurt, Venet, Lombard,
>>> etc. Wikipedias.
>>>
>>> So take my advice and take it down a notch. Take a chill pill. You're
>>> not going to die if these Wikipedias aren't created immediately. You
>>> have to be patient. The developers are your friends.
>>>
>>> They are on a busy schedule, and remember that it is a volunteer job
>>> and they aren't paid except by donations (with one exception). The
>>> developers have to worry about "real" jobs, school, family, and every
>>> other concern of normal human beings because after all, they _are_
>>> normal human beings (a developer can correct me if I'm wrong there).
>>>
>>> So give them a break. If you do, the Wikipedias will be created
>>> eventually. If you don't, it will never be created.
>>>
>>> Mark

>>> who've

>>> First

>>> half

>>> another

>>> the

>>> account.

Re: Re: Useless "developers"

Quistnix
Anthere wrote:

> Quistnix wrote:
>
>> I think Servien is frustrated by the fact that nds.wikipedia is
>> effectively taken over by German nationalists who have succeeded
>> in making people write a language spoken in parts of four countries,
>> using grammatic rules and conventions from only one. the fact that
>> the majority of the people writing in nds: lives in Germany was
>> abused to vote to make it a "democratic" decision.
>>
>> Anton
>

> Let me add a little secret. Most of our developers are very careful of
> staying out of political issues.
> Mentioning that the set up of a wiki *might* cause an uproar amongst
> editors, whatever the reason (constructed language, nationalism,
> dialect) will somehow launch a big warning flag... and is likely to slow
> down even more the creation.
>
> Wiki way :-)
>
> Cheers up, developers are your friends
>
> ant

Let me into a little secret. Seeing things without acting is why WW II
could happen.

Anton

Re: Re: Useless "developers"

Domas Mituzas
Hi,
> Let me into a little secret. Seeing things without acting is why WW II
> could happen.

I guess it's time for Godwin's law.

Domas

Re: Re: Useless "developers"

M. Williamson
I thought that required somebody to actually mention Hitler and/or Naziism?

Mark

On 12/01/06, Domas Mituzas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> > Let me into a little secret. Seeing things without acting is why WW II
> > could happen.
>
> I guess it's time for Godwin's law.
>
> Domas

"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Re: Useless "developers"

Ray Saintonge
You're right, and it looks like you just die.  :-)
Ec

Mark Williamson wrote:

>I thought that required somebody to actually mention Hitler and/or Naziism?
>
>Mark
>
>On 12/01/06, Domas Mituzas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>

>>>Let me into a little secret. Seeing things without acting is why WW II
>>>could happen.
>>>

>>I guess it's time for Godwin's law.

Re: Re: Useless "developers"

Domas Mituzas
> I thought that required somebody to actually mention Hitler and/or
> Naziism?
You're Wikipedian, you could relate WWII to them. Anyway, now they're
mentioned. yay.

Domas

Re: Useless "developers"

Florence Devouard-3
Domas Mituzas wrote:
>> I thought that required somebody to actually mention Hitler and/or
>> Naziism?
>
> You're Wikipedian, you could relate WWII to them. Anyway, now they're
> mentioned. yay.
>
> Domas

And the winner earns to removal of his moderation flag on wikipedia-l...
  to join the discussion on new languages.

Moderation on number of emails posted will be welcome ;-)

cheers

Ant