Quantcast

User form input to add allows value in property

User form input to add allows value in property

Aneta Chmielewski
Hi,

I have a property in a form with allowable values,

A,B, D

Is there a way to add an option for the user to add a new allows value (eg. C) to the property from the form (where it would be saved as an option of the property [[Allows value::C]] )?

Is there also a way to make the drop down menu to be sorted alphabetically such that it looks like A,B,C,D?

Thanks!
Aneta

Re: User form input to add allows value in property

Yury Katkov
Hi Aneta!

You can add the pages to the certain category and use 'values from
category', suits me well.
-----
Yury Katkov

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Aneta Chmielewski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a property in a form with allowable values,
>
> A,B, D
>
> Is there a way to add an option for the user to add a new allows value (eg.
> C) to the property from the form (where it would be saved as an option of
> the property [[Allows value::C]] )?
>
> Is there also a way to make the drop down menu to be sorted alphabetically
> such that it looks like A,B,C,D?
>
> Thanks!
> Aneta

Re: User form input to add allows value in property

Aneta Chmielewski
Hi Yaron

I can't get it to work, I'm missing something obvious:

I created a Form:Add PI last which creates pages of Category:PIName.
I have another form of Category:JDMI_Research with Property PI last:

This is a property of type [[Has type::String]].
[[Gets values from category::PIName]]

My form JDMI_Research has a text edit for PI last as opposed to a combination box with values from PIName.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a property in a form with allowable values,
>
> A,B, D
>
> Is there a way to add an option for the user to add a new allows value (eg.
> C) to the property from the form (where it would be saved as an option of
> the property [[Allows value::C]] )?
>
> Is there also a way to make the drop down menu to be sorted alphabetically
> such that it looks like A,B,C,D?
>
> Thanks!
> Aneta

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.
Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this e-mail may not be that of the organization.

Re: User form input to add allows value in property

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Aneta,

First of all, it wasn't me that responded before, it was Yury - the other
YK. :) As if my own name didn't cause enough confusion...

"Gets values from category" is not a special property - you should just get
rid of that.

To answer your original question, you can't have the set of allowed values
for a property be dynamically modified from a form. Which I think is good -
"Allows value" should only be used for properties where there's a physical
limit on the set of values the property can have.

Basically, the correct approach depends on whether the property is of type
String or Page. Yury's solution would work if it were of type Page, but in
your case it appears to be String. So what I would recommend is to use the
"combobox" input type instead of a dropdown, so it would look like this:

{{{field|PI last|input type=combobox}}}

I think that will autocomplete automatically on the previous set of values
for the property - if that doesn't work, though, you can use the following:

{{{field|PI last|input type=combobox|values from property=Pl last}}}

(I'm guessing as to the names of the field and property.)

-Yaron

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Chmielewski, Aneta <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Yaron
>
> I can't get it to work, I'm missing something obvious:
>
> I created a Form:Add PI last which creates pages of Category:PIName.
> I have another form of Category:JDMI_Research with Property PI last:
>
> This is a property of type [[Has type::String]].
> [[Gets values from category::PIName]]
>
> My form JDMI_Research has a text edit for PI last as opposed to a
> combination box with values from PIName.
>
> Thanks!
> Aneta

Thanks Yaron and Yury (the combobox works), sorry for the name confusion!

Aneta Chmielewski, M. Sc.
Research Analyst II
The Joint Department of Medical Imaging
Mount Sinai Hospital, University Health Network, Women's College Hospital, Toronto Rehab
OPG 2nd Floor North, 700 University Ave, Toronto, ON  M5G 1X6
Tel: 416-946-4501 x 4035