User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

John Reaves
User:Marine 69-71 was recently honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico for his
work on articles related to the Puerto Rican military.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Marine_69-71/Press_Releases (specifically:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Marine_69-71/Press_Releases#Senate_Resolution_.233603).
I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.

--John Reaves
--[[User:John Reaves]]

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Charlotte Webb
On 11/30/07, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.

And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
weekly drama-thons.

—C.W.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

David Gerard-2
On 04/12/2007, Charlotte Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/30/07, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> > remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.

> And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
> glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
> weekly drama-thons.

LiveJournal principle: number of comments is orthogonal to quality of post.

- d.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Thomas Dalton
On 04/12/2007, Charlotte Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/30/07, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> > remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.
>
> And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
> glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
> weekly drama-thons.

In our defence, a subject line with a non-English speaking country in
it on the English Wikipedia mailing list is easily ignored assuming it
to be someone not knowing which mailing list to use. That's not a
criticism of John Reaves, the subject was very well chosen - I wish
everyone used such concise, descriptive subjects - it's just bad luck
that it happened to be about non-English speaking country showing an
interest in the English Wikipedia.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

phoebe ayers-3
On Nov 30, 2007 1:08 PM, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> User:Marine 69-71 was recently honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico for his
> work on articles related to the Puerto Rican military.  See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Marine_69-71/Press_Releases (specifically:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Marine_69-71/Press_Releases#Senate_Resolution_.233603).
> I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.
>
> --John Reaves
> --[[User:John Reaves]]

Many (belated) congratulations to "Tony the Marine," or User:69-71,
who has done some truly outstanding writing in his years on Wikipedia
(400+ articles) and who last year was also honored by a US
Congressperson and the President of the Puerto Rican Senate. At least
the Senate recognizes the value of good writing and spreading
information :) Wikinews should do a story, if they haven't already. If
someone can translate, that'd be great too.

Additionally, I think this may be the first time that Wikipedia has
been mentioned in a parliamentary or congressional resolution of this
type. It's probably the first time that contributions to Wikipedia
have been cited in a formal governmental award, too. Yes? No?

-- phoebe

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Mary Murrell
It is not true that Puerto Rico is a "non-English speaking country." English is an official language of Puerto Rico, and much of the island speaks English. Also, Puerto Rico is not a foreign country. It is part of the US and its residents are all US citizens. Read the Wikipedia page on it!

Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote: On 04/12/2007, Charlotte Webb  wrote:
> On 11/30/07, John Reaves  wrote:
> > I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> > remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.
>
> And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
> glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
> weekly drama-thons.

In our defence, a subject line with a non-English speaking country in
it on the English Wikipedia mailing list is easily ignored assuming it
to be someone not knowing which mailing list to use. That's not a
criticism of John Reaves, the subject was very well chosen - I wish
everyone used such concise, descriptive subjects - it's just bad luck
that it happened to be about non-English speaking country showing an
interest in the English Wikipedia.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

joshua.zelinsky
Quoting Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:

> On 04/12/2007, Charlotte Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/30/07, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
>> > remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess
>> over drama.
>>
>> And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
>> glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
>> weekly drama-thons.
>
> In our defence, a subject line with a non-English speaking country in
> it on the English Wikipedia mailing list is easily ignored assuming it
> to be someone not knowing which mailing list to use. That's not a
> criticism of John Reaves, the subject was very well chosen - I wish
> everyone used such concise, descriptive subjects - it's just bad luck
> that it happened to be about non-English speaking country showing an
> interest in the English Wikipedia.

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, not a "non-English
speaking
country". While Spanish is the common language a large fraction of the
population speaks English as well. I suspect that this thread hasn't gotten
much attention because there isn't any need for attention. People don't have a
perception that the encyclopedia is somehow under threat and that if their
version of policy isn't accepted then all will fall to the hordes of vandals.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Thomas Dalton
> Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, not a "non-English
> speaking
> country". While Spanish is the common language a large fraction of the
> population speaks English as well. I suspect that this thread hasn't gotten
> much attention because there isn't any need for attention. People don't have a
> perception that the encyclopedia is somehow under threat and that if their
> version of policy isn't accepted then all will fall to the hordes of vandals.

"country" was, of course, incorrect. Sorry. The rest of my post stands
though. It was only intended as a possible explanation, they are
plenty of alternative ones.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Guettarda
On Dec 4, 2007 4:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>
> > it's just bad luck
> > that it happened to be about non-English speaking country showing an
> > interest in the English Wikipedia.
>
> Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, not a "non-English
> speaking
> country". While Spanish is the common language a large fraction of the
> population speaks English as well. I suspect that this thread hasn't
> gotten
> much attention because there isn't any need for attention. People don't
> have a
> perception that the encyclopedia is somehow under threat and that if their
> version of policy isn't accepted then all will fall to the hordes of
> vandals.

Don't say that too forcefully, there are people who would be upset with the
assertion that PR isn't a country (it is a member of the IOC and
FIFA)...it's just not an independent country.

Tony's contribution is the perfect example of what you can do if you avoid
the politics and bureaucracy.  There's also the added bonus of him being a
really nice guy.

It's also great to see politicians get it right for a change.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Mark
Charlotte Webb wrote:

> On 11/30/07, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
>> remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.
>>

> And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
> glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
> weekly drama-thons.

A less bad-faith-assuming explanation would simply be that there isn't
much to discuss here. We have discussions when there's some
disagreement, or some issue that needs to be worked out, or something of
that sort. This is just information that we all read and don't have much
to say in response, except perhaps for "congrats!", but dozens of
"congrats!" messages wouldn't constitute a discussion either. What
exactly do you think this thread ought to be discussing that it isn't?

-Mark

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:39:34 -0600, "Charlotte Webb"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
>glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
>weekly drama-thons.

This is a no-win situation.  Either we all contribute to the noise
with signal-free "for he's a jolly good fellow" type posts, inna AOL
stylee, or we read it, nod, and move on.  For the record I think
it's great news, and should be celebrated somewhere - if anyone
wants propose a mass barnstar or something then I'll sign up - but I
did not see a call to action, so I did not act :-)

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Wily D
That definitely makes it a foreign country, eh?

WilyD

On Dec 4, 2007 5:03 PM, Mary Murrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is not true that Puerto Rico is a "non-English speaking country." English is an official language of Puerto Rico, and much of the island speaks English. Also, Puerto Rico is not a foreign country. It is part of the US and its residents are all US citizens. Read the Wikipedia page on it!
>
> Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote: On 04/12/2007, Charlotte Webb  wrote:
> > On 11/30/07, John Reaves  wrote:
> > > I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> > > remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.
> >
> > And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
> > glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
> > weekly drama-thons.
>
> In our defence, a subject line with a non-English speaking country in
> it on the English Wikipedia mailing list is easily ignored assuming it
> to be someone not knowing which mailing list to use. That's not a
> criticism of John Reaves, the subject was very well chosen - I wish
> everyone used such concise, descriptive subjects - it's just bad luck
> that it happened to be about non-English speaking country showing an
> interest in the English Wikipedia.

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Eugene van der Pijll
David Gerard schreef:

> On 04/12/2007, Charlotte Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 11/30/07, John Reaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> > > remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.
>
> > And yet, the complete lack of interest in this thread offers a deeper
> > glimpse into the mind of a mailing list junkie than do all those
> > weekly drama-thons.
>

> LiveJournal principle: number of comments is orthogonal to quality of post.

Not necessarily. This is similar to [[Warnock's Dilemma]].

Eugene

Re: User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

Steve Bennett-8
On 12/5/07, Delirium <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "congrats!" messages wouldn't constitute a discussion either. What
> exactly do you think this thread ought to be discussing that it isn't?

Apparently it needed a debate over whether Puerto Rico is a country or
not. From [[Puerto Rico]]:

--
The nature of Puerto Rico's political relationship with the United
States is the subject of ongoing debate on the island, in the United

Steve

On 12/5/07, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The nature of Puerto Rico's political relationship with the United
> States is the subject of ongoing debate on the island, in the United
> States Congress, and in the United Nations [and on wikien-l].

Yes, apparently half of PR wants independence, and the other half
wants *cough* statehood.

/me runs and hides.

—C.W.