User type context sensitivity to introdcution section.

User type context sensitivity to introdcution section.

Aaron Gray-6
I am suggesting WikiPedia has context-sensitive articles so if you are a
kid or a layperson or an expert in a field you get a different
introduction. Often the reason people don't read WikiPedia articles is they
are too complex at the start.

This needs facilitating by WikiMedia technology.

Thoughts and ideas and possible implementation ideas on this idea are
welcomed.

Regards,

Aaron

--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language Researcher,
Information Theorist, and amateur computer scientist.

Re: User type context sensitivity to introdcution section.

WereSpielChequers-2
Dear Aaron,

The policy is already that the introduction should be suitable for a lay reader, but you are correct in that many articles don’t follow the manual of style as they lack introductions that are in clear, jargon free English. What would be useful from the research community is some research on the sorts of barriers and maybe even a way of finding articles whose leads might need rewriting. Or even research on the size of the problem.

Jonathan

________________________________

Re: User type context sensitivity to introdcution section.

Aaron Gray-6
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 at 08:51, Jonathan Cardy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Aaron,
>
> The policy is already that the introduction should be suitable for a lay
> reader, but you are correct in that many articles don’t follow the manual
> of style as they lack introductions that are in clear, jargon free English.
> What would be useful from the research community is some research on the
> sorts of barriers and maybe even a way of finding articles whose leads
> might need rewriting. Or even research on the size of the problem.

I am thinking about kids of various age groups too, maybe working by school
type ?

> Jonathan

> ________________________________

Hi  Jonathan,

Can you pop over to the similarly named thread I misspelt this one and the
other one has taken prominence.

Thanks,

Aaron

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 at 20:07, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 at 08:51, Jonathan Cardy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Aaron,
>>
>> The policy is already that the introduction should be suitable for a lay
>> reader, but you are correct in that many articles don’t follow the manual
>> of style as they lack introductions that are in clear, jargon free English.
>> What would be useful from the research community is some research on the
>> sorts of barriers and maybe even a way of finding articles whose leads
>> might need rewriting. Or even research on the size of the problem.
>>

> I am thinking about kids of various age groups too, maybe working by
> school type ?
>

>> Jonathan
>>
>> Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
>>
>> ________________________________

Jan Dittrich
> but you are correct in that many articles don’t follow the manual of
style
> as they lack introductions that are in clear, jargon free English.

It might be interesting to find out what trade-offs people perceive when
writing these introductions. How does one write simply, yet "correct"
(particularly not create impressions that are "wrong" from an experts
standpoint)? I assume this is hard, and it might be very tempting to lean
to the expert’s judgement. It is just an hypothesis, but in case it has
something to it, a lot of introductions manage the wicked problem quite
well.

Jan

Am Sa., 9. Feb. 2019 um 09:52 Uhr schrieb Jonathan Cardy <
[hidden email]>:

> Dear Aaron,
>
> The policy is already that the introduction should be suitable for a lay
> reader, but you are correct in that many articles don’t follow the manual
> of style as they lack introductions that are in clear, jargon free English.
> What would be useful from the research community is some research on the
> sorts of barriers and maybe even a way of finding articles whose leads
> might need rewriting. Or even research on the size of the problem.
>
> Jonathan

Teamleitung UX/Design

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.